2017 Impala SS and Caprice SS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2017 Impala SS and Caprice SS

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0T

2017 Impala SS and Caprice SS

It is expected that the XTS will be a one-trick pony with the approaching CT6 occupying basically the same footprint and the CTS occupying the same price range. In fact, after the LMA meeting in Vegas, my sales manager hinted that MY15 or a partial MY16 could be all she wrote for our DTS replacement.

With the XTS out of the way, perhaps Chevy will stop limiting the Impala and give us a proper SS trim with the powertrain plucked from the XTS Vsport. So not to encroach on whatever Buick might have planned for their forthcoming next-gen Lacrosse, allow a base SS Impala to be equipped like a 2LT starting around $38K, while the full-boat 2LZ will come in at $45K; no options unchecked. Give the MCE LED taillights and a few styling/technology updates to keep it current and call it a day.

Also, with the demise of the Holden Commodore, assembly of the Chevy SS is expected to move to North America riding a version of the Alpha chassis. With this move, Chevy will have the opportunity to assign a proper name (doesn't have to be Caprice, but it makes sense), give a more aggressive design (if Impala continues to look like a 4 door Camaro, make the Caprice look like a 4 door Vette), and expand the option sheet. My (Caprice) SS would look like this:

SS Package
    $41,995 - $52,995
    2,000 Car per Year Production Limit

Newest version of LT1, MRC, 7-speed stick/8 speed auto, 20" wheels...basically a 1SS Camaro plus the latest technology and exclusivity factor. Top end is 2SS equivalent. Top end includes 1LE equivalent.

ZL2 Package
    $65,000
    1,000 CPY

4 Door ZL1.

Z-Spec
    $70,000
    500 CPY

4 Door Z/28.

Feedback?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,772 Times in 5,645 Posts

Re: 2017 Impala SS and Caprice SS

I'd add to your ideas.

Stretch Alpha even further, give it about 4" in wheelbase beyond Alpha+, and just make the next Impala RWD.

1) A series of SWB Alpha+ sedans: Impala SS, Regal, CTS, Commodore
    2) A series of SWB Alpha+ coupes: Chevelle, Regal coupe, CTS coupe, Monaro
    3) LWB (120" wb) Alpha+ sedan: Impala (maybe also a fleet-only Cadillac, distinct from the rest of the lineup, and also a new Statesman?)

I would not make the SS a Corvette-looking car. I would take the Impala's styling and evolve it more aggressively, but retain a very premium look.
    Last edited by sfbreh; 10-16-2014 at 05:55 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

CaddyLac10 (10-17-2014),oldmember2 (10-16-2014),TheNewStandard (10-17-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,407 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Re: 2017 Impala SS and Caprice SS

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    I'd add to your ideas.

Stretch Alpha even further, give it about 4" in wheelbase beyond Alpha+, and just make the next Impala RWD.

1) A series of SWB Alpha+ sedans: Impala SS, Regal, CTS, Commodore
    2) A series of SWB Alpha+ coupes: Chevelle, Regal coupe, CTS coupe, Monaro
    3) LWB (120" wb) Alpha+ sedan: Impala (maybe also a fleet-only Cadillac, distinct from the rest of the lineup, and also a new Statesman?)

I would not make the SS a Corvette-looking car. I would take the Impala's styling and evolve it more aggressively, but retain a very premium look.
    first I agree with the NOT look like the Vette as I doubt that will translate well into a 4 DR sedan

I will add with the stories abound that the full size sedan is going the way of the DODO bird maybe GM will step up to the plate and create something more memorable then a good looking budget rent-a-car
    the taurus is rumoured to be China ONLY next gen and the high rental-fleet numbers the impala family run VS Dodge having good retail sales with the charger

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information