2014 Chevy Impala being investigated over braking issue

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2014 Chevy Impala being investigated over braking issue

Banned
    Thanks

2014 Chevy Impala being investigated over braking issue

General Motors' recent recall woes may only be getting worse. According to The Detroit News, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has opened an investigation into 60,000 2014 Chevrolet Impala models over concerns relating to the sedan's emergency braking system.

The News reports that the NHTSA probe comes on the heels of a single complaint, citing "inappropriate activation of the emergency braking system." The official complaint states that the driver "alleges that the driver assist system inappropriately activated emergency braking bringing the vehicle to a complete stop under what the driver considered to be full braking force."

NHTSA reports that the driver "heard three to four beeps from the forward collision avoidance system" in the vehicle in question (a rental 2014 Impala with just 2,500 miles on the odometer), and that "this was immediately followed by an autonomous brake activation resulting in their vehicle being struck from the rear by another vehicle." No police report was filed following this incident, and there were no injuries.

A General Motors spokesperson told The Detroit News that the company is fully cooperating with this preliminary investigation. Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/22/2...-issue-report/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,890 Times in 2,746 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Re: 2014 Chevy Impala being investigated over braking issue

Accident but no police report with a rental car? Strange.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

All Star (04-23-2014),Elvisuperman (04-23-2014),member12 (04-24-2014),oldmember2 (04-23-2014)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,002 Times in 4,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I think we can realistically expect more and more of the "autonomous systems" making decisions based on misreadings of or by various sensors, spoof, or electronic interference of some sort triggering an unwanted event.

NHTSA reports that the driver "heard three to four beeps from the forward collision avoidance system" in the vehicle in question (a rental 2014 Impala with just 2,500 miles on the odometer), and that "this was immediately followed by an autonomous brake activation resulting in their vehicle being struck from the rear by another vehicle."

Turning too much control over to electronic geniuses who are unable to take into account the big picture, e.g. where is following traffic vs. the impending "collision" they perceive, will result in following traffic being surprised by 100% brake force in the vehicle in front which, unless the driver is 100% aware and quick on the trigger, WILL result in a collision, given the I-love-to-tailgate habits of too many drivers.

And if the first following car IS totally on the ball, he better hope everybody behind him is also driving with due diligence and unusually quick reaction times.

Overautomation re: AIR FRANCE 447

The speed measuring devices (pitot tubes) on Air France 447 froze, but neither the computer nor the humans figured that out. The inexperienced pilot, plus aircraft design allowed them to stall, sending the plane down at a serious horizontal pace.

At night, in a storm, there were no visual references and perhaps nobody looked at the altimeter.
    I'm wondering if a simple GPS (speed + altitude) would've been damned handy in this case.

Prior to the recovery of the recorders, the cause of the disaster could only be inferred from a few salvaged pieces of wreckage and technical data beamed automatically from the aircraft to the airline’s maintenance centre in France. It appeared to be a failure of the plane’s pitot (pronounced pea-toe) tubes – small, forward-facing ducts that use airflow to measure airspeed. On entering the storm these had apparently frozen over, blanking airspeed indicators and causing the autopilot to disengage. From then on the crew failed to maintain sufficient speed, resulting in a stall which, over almost four minutes, sent 228 people plummeting to their deaths.
    But why? Normally an A330 can fly itself, overriding unsafe commands. Even if systems fail there is standard procedure to fall back on: if you set engine thrust to 85 per cent and pitch the nose five degrees above the horizontal, the aircraft will more or less fly level. How was it that three pilots trained by a safe and prestigious airline could so disastrously lose control? Either there was something wrong with the plane, or with the crew. Airbus and Air France, both with much to lose, were soon pointing accusing fingers at each other.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-to-crash.html

Reaction times:
    Official C/D study using a 22-year-old intern and 37-year-old staffer:

The results, though not surprising, were eye-opening. Intern Brown’s baseline reaction time at 35 mph of 0.45 second worsened to 0.57 while reading a text, improved to 0.52 while writing a text, and returned almost to the baseline while impaired by alcohol, at 0.46. At 70 mph, his baseline reaction was 0.39 second, while the reading (0.50), texting (0.48), and drinking (0.50) numbers were similar. But the averages don’t tell the whole story. Looking at Jordan’s slowest reaction time at 35 mph, he traveled an extra 21 feet (more than a car length) before hitting the brakes while reading and went 16 feet longer while texting. At 70 mph, a vehicle travels 103 feet every second, and Brown’s worst reaction time while reading at that speed put him about 30 feet (31 while typing) farther down the road versus 15 feet while drunk.

Alterman fared much, much worse. While reading a text and driving at 35 mph, his average baseline reaction time of 0.57 second nearly tripled, to 1.44 seconds. While texting, his response time was 1.36 seconds. These figures correspond to an extra 45 and 41 feet, respectively, before hitting the brakes. His reaction time after drinking averaged 0.64 second and, by comparison, added only seven feet. The results at 70 mph were similar: Alterman’s response time while reading a text was 0.35 second longer than his base performance of 0.56 second, and writing a text added 0.68 second to his reaction time. But his intoxicated number increased only 0.04 second over the base score, to a total of 0.60 second.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...results-page-2

http://www.technology-assoc.com/arti...tion-time.html

http://copradar.com/redlight/factors/index.html
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 04-23-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '15 Impala 2LTZ silver topaz

This makes me wander whether the adaptive cruise package ($1695, + $1195 add. options required) is a good idea on a new Impala. I hope this turns out to be just one bad car, not a lot of them. That being said, I've not heard yet of a computer system that can't fail. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

A rental that crashed with no police report filed?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to All Star For This Useful Post:

oldmember2 (04-23-2014)

Thanks

Better question: A rental vehicle with Adaptive Cruise Control? Expensive option for a rental. It wasn't someone not used to the vehicle and overreacting to the alert system by slamming the brakes...?

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 1954 Chevy View Post
    This makes me wander whether the adaptive cruise package ($1695, + $1195 add. options required) is a good idea on a new Impala. I hope this turns out to be just one bad car, not a lot of them. That being said, I've not heard yet of a computer system that can't fail. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
    A bit odd that NHTSA opens an investigation with ONE event.

Quote Originally Posted by All Star View Post
    A rental that crashed with no police report filed?
    We don't need no police report! What he said happened, happened! He was NOT drunk!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElkinsChevy View Post
    Better question: A rental vehicle with Adaptive Cruise Control? Expensive option for a rental. It wasn't someone not used to the vehicle and overreacting to the alert system by slamming the brakes...?
    I'm sure it is all the vehicle's fault. After all, one event makes the case.

That said, not sure I'd want this particular critter on any of our cars.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Adaptive cruise control is pretty awesome. Haven't had a single issue with it in the Flex. Plus, with it on it will boost the brake pressure so if you do have to do a panic stop it'll be an impressive one.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Plus, with it on it will boost the brake pressure so if you do have to do a panic stop it'll be an impressive one.
    I don't know why, but I was entertained by this sentence.

Thanks
    My Ride

Lol, first time it happened (just trying it out) it smoked all four tires WHILE activating ABS.

Also, if you don't like the adaptive you can just turn it off.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SeetheUSA's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Yeah, I'm not big on these new computer controlled braking or crash avoidance programs. Sorry, but I am not comfortable with a machine doing it just yet. I'm sure eventually it will come standard, but not going to check that option when I buy.

I'm still annoyed about the stupid TPMS that cost hundreds to replace if they break. Seems to me that building millions of those units year after year would bring the cost down by now. Not even an option now- and you can't deactivate. When one goes bad, you get to either replace it or look at an idiot light until you trade the thing in.
    Get used to more.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
    Yeah, I'm not big on these new computer controlled braking or crash avoidance programs. Sorry, but I am not comfortable with a machine doing it just yet. I'm sure eventually it will come standard, but not going to check that option when I buy.

I'm still annoyed about the stupid TPMS that cost hundreds to replace if they break. Seems to me that building millions of those units year after year would bring the cost down by now. Not even an option now- and you can't deactivate. When one goes bad, you get to either replace it or look at an idiot light until you trade the thing in.
    The cost is down. It's just that The System thinks ******* you and all other customers is smarter than reducing the price.
    DUH.

I needed a set of TPMS for my Challenger wheels. They were about 82 bucks each at the dealer, or a set of five for about 82 bucks on ebay. Same serial #, same Made In Great Britain quality.

Dealer is the very last place you want to go for parts.

Odd that the system hasn't figured this out. Yet.

It's like restaurant coffee. We won't buy a $3.00 cup of coffee at our favorite restaurant. If it was a buck we'd buy it every time. Coffee costs maybe five cents per cup to make at a restaurant. How GD stupid and self-defeating can you get?

Dealer wanted something like 300 bucks per wheel. What does it cost the factory, maybe 50 bucks when purchased in bulk? And they still haven't figured out why Wal Mart and Costco make zillions?

I'd think ONE of the idiots running an auto company might get a clue. Not yet.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information