2014 Chevy Equinox AWD stiff ride and road noise

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2014 Chevy Equinox AWD stiff ride and road noise

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Equinox 2LT AWG

Thumbs down 2014 Chevy Equinox AWD stiff ride and road noise

Two days ago, I purchased a 2014 Chevy Equinox 2LT AWG with 44K mles. Great looking car, and from the internet reviews, a mostly 5 star vehicle. I took it for a short spin, paid for it and then took it for a long country ride. Then I really started noticing things. It rode stiff like my Ford F150 pickup and I could feel every little defect in the road plus it had loud road noise from the tires, so loud that I had to turn up the radio to hear it. Where was the great soft ride I had seen in the reviews ? No one posted about tire noise either I checked the tires for air pressure, thinking maybe the former owner had way too much air pressure but they were right at the recommended 35#. The tires are all season radials so the tire noise couldn't be coming from an aggressive style tread. I thought there might possibly be a suspension adjustment on this rig to get a softer ride, but found none. At 44K mles, I wouldn't think the shocks were bad and hence the rough ride, so at this point I'm rather disappointed in my new purchase
    Idahored
    Mtn Home, Idaho

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,733 Times in 4,667 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: 2014 Chevy Equinox AWD stiff ride and road noise

Welcome idahored.

Are you going to be another one-post-wonder? Just askin.

1. You should have driven the car more extensively.
    2. The tires are likely your problem. Check Tire Rack or Discount Tire. OE is Michelin Latitude Tour. TR never tested these tires.
    My impression is that TR doesn't bother to test tires that are far, far back in the pack, especially the typical OE junk that makers seem so in love with. Go figure.

Here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...t.jsp?ttid=220

Pirelli Cinturato P7s for ride and quiet, General AltiMAX RT-43 for wet weather.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 06-19-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

While the Equinox has a firmer ride than cars of yore, I wouldn't say any of the Equinox/Terrain twins I've driven ride harshly (and that is quite a few, siblings have had them, my work has had a few of each engine through our lot). The tires are definitely the culprit on noise - we sold a 2014 V6 w/100k miles that the tires it came with just howled; they were replaced with some cheap Kelly's and it was a night and day difference, probably rode better too. I'd do new tires; if you still feel it rides harshly, just take it to a Chevy dealer for an inspection on the suspension - that'd be worth the peace of mind on it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sydtron View Post
    While the Equinox has a firmer ride than cars of yore, I wouldn't say any of the Equinox/Terrain twins I've driven ride harshly (and that is quite a few, siblings have had them, my work has had a few of each engine through our lot). The tires are definitely the culprit on noise - we sold a 2014 V6 w/100k miles that the tires it came with just howled; they were replaced with some cheap Kelly's and it was a night and day difference, probably rode better too. I'd do new tires; if you still feel it rides harshly, just take it to a Chevy dealer for an inspection on the suspension - that'd be worth the peace of mind on it.
    My Terrain is one of the nicest-riding cars I've had in a while. Reasonably compliant suspension plus 3800 lb. curb weight, it's not rocket science to get a decent ride. Tires.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride

[QUOTE=Neanderthal;6792978]Welcome idahored.

Are you going to be another one

Well, I figure on being around for a spell, but at 78 one never knows just what time is left, right ? When I get a "new to me" vehicle, I try to learn as much as possible about it, whether it's a car, motorhome, or a motorcycle. So, I tend to go where I can find the most reliable info I can get, which normally means a forum. I may not have enough time left to accumulate 20K posts, but I'll be lurking listening, and will ask questions when I feel the need. The current tires on it are Michelin P225-65-17, Radial X, traction A,, M+S and about 1/2 tread left. With my past 4x4's I normally run all season radials and they get me through the year, even in our Idaho winters. I plan on taking it to the dealer and have them put it up on the rack to check everything out. It could be that the former owner may have installed stiffer suspension for some reasn. No receiver hitch on the back to worry about weight pulling a small trailer or something else, so can't figure out anyone would install a stiffer suspension unless they had a good reason for it.
    Idahored
    Mtn Home, ID

8. The Following User Says Thank You to idahored For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-19-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride

[QUOTE=idahored;6793426]
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Welcome idahored.

Are you going to be another one
    Well, I figure on being around for a spell, but at 78 one never knows just what time is left, right ? When I get a "new to me" vehicle, I try to learn as much as possible about it, whether it's a car, motorhome, or a motorcycle. So, I tend to go where I can find the most reliable info I can get, which normally means a forum. I may not have enough time left to accumulate 20K posts, but I'll be lurking listening, and will ask questions when I feel the need. The current tires on it are Michelin P225-65-17, Radial X, traction A,, M+S and about 1/2 tread left. With my past 4x4's I normally run all season radials and they get me through the year, even in our Idaho winters. I plan on taking it to the dealer and have them put it up on the rack to check everything out. It could be that the former owner may have installed stiffer suspension for some reason. No receiver hitch on the back to worry about weight pulling a small trailer or something else, so can't figure out anyone would install a stiffer suspension unless they had a good reason for it.
    Idahored
    Mtn Home, ID
    Your odds of living a long life increase every day.

Hopefully the service department knows something about tires, beyond "Oh yeah, Michelins are good! Your tires are good! Must be your imagination!"
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 06-19-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I had a 2014 Equinox awd LTZ as a rental that only had 6k miles on it. I thought it was fairly quiet, but the ride did seem quite stiff. I attributed the stiff ride to the LTZ trim as they use lower profile tires/larger rims, and a more sport tuned suspension. I didn't find it objectionable at all, but firm, and only really noticed it on the worst broken pavement. I wanted to buy one for my wife, but she found it to be too firm for her. She loves the firm ride in my 2006 GTO, though, go figure.

One reason I don't like Michelin tires is that they tend to become noisy after a while, especially on front or awd vehicles. They ride great when new, however.

Thanks
    My Ride

What size tires are those, idaho? Mine are 235.55.18, seem A-OK. Michelin Latitudes, the lesser of the two Michelin tires TR lists in that size.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

What size tires are those, idaho? Mine are 235.55.18, seem A-OK. Michelin Latitudes, the lesser of the two Michelin tires TR lists in that size.
    Latitude is just the marketing family name within Michelin -there are several variants of Latitude, each with different characteristics - Tour, Cross, Sport and X-Ice

Thanks
    My Ride

Tour, A B, 99T, Mud + Snow.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Sierra

I rode in one that was about a 2012 4x2 model. I only sat in the rear seat but I also thought that it road very stiff or harsh. It was a very low mile unit and was going to be for sale soon. After the ride.......no sale! Did they (GM) have stiffer springs so people could carry more in the back without the rear sagging????
    Last edited by rustywrench; 06-20-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride

[QUOTE=Neanderthal;6793842]What size tires are those, idaho? Mine are 235.55.18, seem A

Mine are Michelin Latitude Tour 225-65-17

Thanks
    My Ride

^^

I guess it could, to paraphrase one of my favorite presidents, depend on what is the meaning of "stiff" and "noise" is, is.

Been to the dealer yet? My guess remains tires. Maybe the dealer will give you a deep discount if you guilt him enough!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information