The 2014-19 chevrolet impala was the best car to come out of chevy since the original - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2014-19 chevrolet impala was the best car to come out of chevy since the original

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Re: The 2014-19 chevrolet impala was the best car to come out of chevy since the orig

If GM had used the CTS platform and the 5.3 and 6.2 engines, with awd option, they could have made 40,000 Impalas a year or more forever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.Show-Me For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (03-09-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 566 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Honda Accord Sport

Re: The 2014-19 chevrolet impala was the best car to come out of chevy since the orig

To be fair the 2006-2016 Impala (and subsequently Impala Limited) weren't bad cars they were just totally bland and forgettable. My grandfather had an '06 Impala SS in Sport Red and though it ended up grenading the transmission at 49k miles and eating oil before 40k it was a good looking, comfortable car that had gobs of torque. The V6 models have held up well as I've seen many higher milage examples running well.

Now as far as the 2014+ models... quite frankly one of the nicest cars GM has ever built. In fact I would say as an overall car it's probably the best sedan GM has ever built and quite frankly the only home run car they've introduced in the last 10 years. I can't remember a time before where I could find little to nit-pick about a car but the Impala is one of those cars. Used examples are an absolute steal in the marketplace and they are SO much nicer than a similar Accord or Camry. It's a shame they introduced the car as the SUV craze started taking off.
    2019 Honda Accord Sport

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryannel2003 For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (03-01-2019),SierraGS (03-09-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Show-Me View Post
    If GM had used the CTS platform and the 5.3 and 6.2 engines, with awd option, they could have made 40,000 Impalas a year or more forever.
    I wish I knew the cost advantage of foregoing advancement of platform design... like Chrysler did with the LX platform being so old. Apparently Americans really do not require anything advanced to continue buying.. although in that situation a lot of their volume is really Fleet. I think that since Alpha and Omega are currently available it would make sense to flesh out one of them into a more volume heavy vehicle like a Chevy Impala. A CT6 or CTS sized Impala with all of the Camaro's engines would be pretty awesome.. And would do little to hurt CT6 or CTS sales if marketing would do its job properly

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DaBangBang For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (03-09-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 566 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Honda Accord Sport

Quote Originally Posted by DaBangBang View Post
    I wish I knew the cost advantage of foregoing advancement of platform design... like Chrysler did with the LX platform being so old. Apparently Americans really do not require anything advanced to continue buying.. although in that situation a lot of their volume is really Fleet. I think that since Alpha and Omega are currently available it would make sense to flesh out one of them into a more volume heavy vehicle like a Chevy Impala. A CT6 or CTS sized Impala with all of the Camaro's engines would be pretty awesome.. And would do little to hurt CT6 or CTS sales if marketing would do its job properly
    That's why I've been annoyed with GM not utilizing Omega more because I have a feeling if they built a Chevy or Buick with that platform they could absorb the extra cost that CT6 isn't able to alone. At least not with the deep discounts GM's having to use to move metal on the lots. This is something FCA has an advantage in and where GM could learn a thing or two. The LX chassis is ancient but it still drives well and FCA has been committed to keeping the cars up to date while listening to customer input. The tooling has been long paid off so even if a lot of these cars go in fleet they aren't loosing significant amounts of money to sell and residuals and resale has actually improved on Charger as more retail buyers purchase them.
    2019 Honda Accord Sport

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ryannel2003 For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (03-09-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

Man I’ve logged some serious miles onto that platform between rental cars and my own XTS Vsport. It out shines the 300/charger in my book. I agree with most that say small updates should continue to happen but the biggest issue is that the transmission will get fazed out soon. How much money are they willing to spend for both impala and XTS.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,743 Times in 2,427 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    That's why I've been annoyed with GM not utilizing Omega more because I have a feeling if they built a Chevy or Buick with that platform they could absorb the extra cost that CT6 isn't able to alone. At least not with the deep discounts GM's having to use to move metal on the lots. This is something FCA has an advantage in and where GM could learn a thing or two. The LX chassis is ancient but it still drives well and FCA has been committed to keeping the cars up to date while listening to customer input. The tooling has been long paid off so even if a lot of these cars go in fleet they aren't loosing significant amounts of money to sell and residuals and resale has actually improved on Charger as more retail buyers purchase them.
    Good point. It's too bad GM doesn't think it's necessary or feasible. Even if the market were slowing in this arena keeping fresh updates and tech into it would I think keep the interest alive.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    I get it.. Omega is also now paid for as well.. Pricing at an average $70-75K and over 50K sales in the last three years assures this. GM is no longer the fool in regards to making money per platform. OMEGA is for all intents ZETA with ALPHA "bits" and lightweight materials thrown in 😏. Yes.. The Impala should still go on Omega, perhaps even LaX too

Walking
    Thanks

I have a 58' Bel Air & 16' Impala LTZ and love them both. The Impala on long road trips gets 33-35 MPG all the time.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2019/Pacific Blue

Started with my first Chevy 1970 Chevy Impala 45625_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nyminute For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (02-27-2019),Envoy4Life (02-27-2019)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,743 Times in 2,427 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by nyminute View Post
    Started with my first Chevy 1970 Chevy Impala 45625_Side_Profile_Web.jpg
    You just reminded me of an old picture somewhere in my parents archive of the same Aunt and Uncle with the new Traverse having one of these only a couple of years newer like I'm thinking 1974 and it was red if I'm not mistaken.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

nyminute (02-28-2019)

Walking
    Thanks

I agree. I think this current model is still very impressive and I hate to see it dropped from the lineup!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

It still could. Seriously.. the death of large cars here in the U.S. is a GM/Ford ploy -
    Respectfully disagree.... fully.

However....

#1. ) Never could have held on to it given all the rest ie the externals.

#2.) if you want to take a very complex issue and over simplify it then #1 factor is loss of all of what is not measured in public ie non measured interior volume loss and related.... and #2.... loss of what we can call useful utility - and practicality.

Here, real simple ..... find a '71 Caprice and ignore all other except ..... how ya' see it when getting in and out and also when sitting in it.

Practical reality is that the 'cars' all lost a class and half worth of what is not measured formally but means so much.... and no, I am not talking about the Rental people who always make that worse anyway - can't help it ... it's in the Rental DNA......

Only way to get it back or usefully recovered if not in full means..... abandoning the longer, lower, wider BS GM brought to the CAR market in the first place... so the now classic 'American' three box whatever is really a caricature of it's former self and duh.... grabbing a CUV / SUV is the most practical way out ..... and back.

It is in fact a type of poetic justice.......
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 02-28-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 677 Posts

I still can't believe GM said that because of 1mpg we didn't get a RWD Impala.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (03-09-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Show-Me View Post
    Great Idea!

Update the current Impala Styling for use on a RWD platform, offer the 5.3 and 6.2 engines, with awd as options and sell it for years.

Too bad GM will never do it, makes too much sense and might actually be profitable.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,529 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    Great Idea!

Update the current Impala Styling for use on a RWD platform, offer the 5.3 and 6.2 engines, with awd as options and sell it for years.

Too bad GM will never do it, makes too much sense and might actually be profitable.
    THey could have done it 10 years ago
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

25. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (03-09-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information