2013 Chevrolet Aveo (Sonic) First Drive (EU) Model

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Chevrolet Aveo (Sonic) First Drive (EU) Model

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,308 Times in 4,035 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

2013 Chevrolet Aveo (Sonic) First Drive (EU) Model

So should you buy an Aveo? Well, you won't buy this car for driving thrills, but if you're in the market for a distinctive, high-value supermini with a five-year warranty, the Aveo will be well worth a look
    http://uk.autoblog.com/2011/05/27/fi...hevrolet-aveo/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 2013 Aveo (sonic) First Drive (EU) Model

The Sonic is one of the few cars where I prefer the sedan version over the available hatchback. I just don't care for this hatchback's design. The Sonic sedan, from the photos I've seen, actually looks pretty good, which is surprising to me as most sedans in this segment look rather awkward... Prime example being the Ford Fiesta, which looks fantastic as a hatchback, but just awful as a sedan...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

It would nice to find out if the 1.4L gas engine the author tested is a non-turbo version.

I'd also be interested in finding out how the Aveo differs from the Sonic.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Sierra Dbl Cab Cardinal Red

This review just confirmed what I thought when I sat in this thing at the NAIAS, it is DEAD ON ARRIVAL. This thing is a bomb, it looks cheap, feels cheap, and oh yeah it is cheap. There is no way they'll sell more of these compared to a Honda Fit, Versa, or even the Yaris.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by Jkujo View Post
    This review just confirmed what I thought when I sat in this thing at the NAIAS, it is DEAD ON ARRIVAL. This thing is a bomb, it looks cheap, feels cheap, and oh yeah it is cheap. There is no way they'll sell more of these compared to a Honda Fit, Versa, or even the Yaris.
    You have no idea what you are talking about. My wife owned a Versa for 3 1/2 years and that thing was god awful.

I will guarantee that the Sonic will outsell the Yaris and Versa, and creep very close to the Fit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    The Sonic is one of the few cars where I prefer the sedan version over the available hatchback. I just don't care for this hatchback's design. The Sonic sedan, from the photos I've seen, actually looks pretty good, which is surprising to me as most sedans in this segment look rather awkward... Prime example being the Ford Fiesta, which looks fantastic as a hatchback, but just awful as a sedan...
    Same here. I like the hidden rear door handles of the hatchback, but other than that there's something I don't care for; maybe it's that it doesn't look like as much of a change from the outgoing Aveo hatch as it is, as both have the similarly vertical design to the hatch. The taillights of the sedan give the back a sort of "droopy" look from some angles but it's not too bad and a lot of sub/compact sedans have that now (new Accent sedan kind of has that), and like you said it doesn't look as odd as the Fiesta sedan.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Sierra Dbl Cab Cardinal Red

Quote Originally Posted by unkillsam View Post
    You have no idea what you are talking about. My wife owned a Versa for 3 1/2 years and that thing was god awful.

I will guarantee that the Sonic will outsell the Yaris and Versa, and creep very close to the Fit.
    Have you sat in the Sonic? I have. I'm telling you, as much as it pains me to say it, this thing is god awful. I think that this review is dead nuts on. The interior is not good. The exterior is okay and sporty. Compare this back to back with a Fiesta or a Honda Fit and there really is no comparison. They'll win every time. I want this thing to sell like crazy but compared to its competition it is still not very competitive from looks and feel. I'm sorry but that is just the truth.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 GMC HighRider ZR2

Re: 2013 Chevrolet Aveo (Sonic) First Drive (EU) Model

I'll tell you what amazes me. How US automakers are bragging how interior pieces are "soft touch" especially seeing how EURO companies have been exceling at this "feature" for more than a decade. Perfect example is the new Grand Cherokee. If JKUJO is right about the interior then the Sonic will suck.

Thanks

I spent some time in the Sonic and know a few others that did. We all were surprised, pleasently--well all liked it! Far from DOA.

It should get some very good mileage numbers and the power is better then anything I can think of. Plus it's built in the USA and the factory has gone "green"--all those factors will help boost sales to what looks like a very competitive design.
    Proud Pontiac Owner
    2004 Grand Am SE V6 with 1SB package. Faster then my 2,4L Cobalt auto was! More fun to drive too.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you sat in the Sonic? I have. I'm telling you, as much as it pains me to say it, this thing is god awful. I think that this review is dead nuts on. The interior is not good. The exterior is okay and sporty. Compare this back to back with a Fiesta or a Honda Fit and there really is no comparison. They'll win every time. I want this thing to sell like crazy but compared to its competition it is still not very competitive from looks and feel. I'm sorry but that is just the truth.
    I sat in one, yes it is cheap, compared to a Malibu or a CTS. Next to a Yaris or a Versa or a Fit, it is extremely competitive, in fact also has more features than both by a long shot.

Some pics I took not long ago..

Some more official pics to look at of the interior. The one in the article are of the base model.

Compared to...

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,308 Times in 4,035 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

#1, this is a base model
    #2, its something you are buying for less than 10K MSRP.. seriously, you expect good materials in that price range?
    Dude, get me the roll you are smoking, it must be good..

Have you seen the interior if a Yaris or Accent? This is a Cadillac compared to those.

Thanks

Yeah but if you are going to compare it to just models available in the US it is missing most of its competition.

Suzuki Swift

Ford Fiesta

Hyundai i20

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar zl-1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    It would nice to find out if the 1.4L gas engine the author tested is a non-turbo version.
    I don't thing we're getting the 1.4T in the Aveo...

Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 GMC HighRider ZR2

Quote Originally Posted by from oz View Post
    Yeah but if you are going to compare it to just models available in the US it is missing most of its competition.

Suzuki Swift

Ford Fiesta

Hyundai i20
    Whats that supposed to mean? They all look very similar interior wise including the Sonic

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Actually I have, and it put's your Pontiac's interior to shame. Only sub-compact interior that's better is the Fiesta, and boy do you pay for it.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information