2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Manual - Short Take Road Test (Car & Driver)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Manual - Short Take Road Test (Car & Driver)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Manual - Short Take Road Test (Car & Driver)

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Manual - Short Take Road Test
    Car and Driver
    June 2011
    by Jon Yanca

Unlike fuel-economy specials of yesteryear, the new crop of misers—like the Hyundai Elantra and Ford Focus SFE—doesn’t require you to serve a penalty for not paying at the pump. Instead of forcing buyers into the most basic, stripped-out model to obtain those extra mpg, the Cruze Eco is a normal conveyance with all the customary amenities of a modern small car.

In fact, if you’re in the market for a Cruze, we’d strongly suggest you consider the Eco. For starters, it’s a fine-looking ride, with the aforementioned lowered stance and showy 17-inch wheels. It looks more sporty than frugal, and we’d even spring for the $195 Black Granite Metallic paint of our test car to add a dash of elegance. Its interior, like those in costlier Cruze trims, is quiet and stylish, with excellent fit and finish. Some of the interior plastics could stand to be a grade or two higher, but the fabric trim panels on the dash are a first-rate focal distraction.

Aiding the Eco’s case is the fact that it is the quickest Cruze we’ve tested. Chevy acknowledges the fact that the manual’s first- and second-gear ratios are “aggressive,” which helps this miserly compact hit 60 mph in 7.8 seconds.

The compact-car class is rich with great choices. Although the 2012 Ford Focus is the current champ, the value offered by the Cruze Eco is at least a good way to beat the heat at the pump.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Manual - Short Take Road Test (Car & Driver)

The Eco did better than I thought it would.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Take Eco 1LT
    remove low-rolling resistance tires, and wrap the forged wheels with some really good rubber
    jack up the boost and push out another 20-30hp out of the 1.4t
    Go with a better brake pad up front
    Go racing. Eco is the performance model right now. Its 200lbs lighter than a regular Cruze.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
    Take Eco 1LT
    remove low-rolling resistance tires, and wrap the forged wheels with some really good rubber
    Go racing. Eco is the performance model right now. Its 200lbs lighter than a regular Cruze.

That... that's a great idea!
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Nice write-up. The Eco would definitely be the Cruze I'd pick.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

I'm very curious what this same powertrain will do in the Sonic, which will still be several hundred pound lighter than this car. I'm guessing closer to a 7.5 sec 0 - 60, a mid-15.7 or so sec quarter ... plus 40 mpg or better on the highway. If so, and thee price is right, that seems like a pretty decent combination!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Me likes the brick colored interior
    Current Rides:
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo 6spd
    2003 GMC Yukon XL SLE
    1963 Mercury Meteor

Past Rides:
    2001 Olds Alero GX 5spd
    2000 GMC Yukon SLE
    1990 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible
    1976 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Take Eco 1LT
    Indeed!

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,002 Times in 4,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Take Eco 1LT
    You're hired!

Pack your Diet Cokes up and git on down to Motown!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks

We, of course, drove the Eco like we’d stolen it and still managed 29 mpg overall in 600 miles of driving.
    So, if you bought an automatic instead and did drive it without aggression, you'd get what? 33? 34? 35? That's setting the efficiency bar really low, especially for a car with noticeably less legroom in back than a regular Prius and quite a bit less than the upcoming bigger model... which offers a combined MPG estimate of 42.

Acceptance of lower efficiency standards will harm Volt. People will settle with Cruze for half the price. Becoming complacent about oil dependency and simply accepting the higher price of gas is the "boil a frog" situation playing out before our eyes. People simply adapt to paying more rather than actually doing something to deal with the problem.

It tastes like chicken to me, having driven nearly 220,000 miles with 3 different generations of Prius. Rather than embrace change, there's still denial about need. Frog legs for dinner.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,893 Times in 2,748 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Quote Originally Posted by john1701a View Post
    So, if you bought an automatic instead and did drive it without aggression, you'd get what? 33? 34? 35? That's setting the efficiency bar really low, especially for a car with noticeably less legroom in back than a regular Prius and quite a bit less than the upcoming bigger model... which offers a combined MPG estimate of 42.

Acceptance of lower efficiency standards will harm Volt. People will settle with Cruze for half the price. Becoming complacent about oil dependency and simply accepting the higher price of gas is the "boil a frog" situation playing out before our eyes. People simply adapt to paying more rather than actually doing something to deal with the problem.

It tastes like chicken to me, having driven nearly 220,000 miles with 3 different generations of Prius. Rather than embrace change, there's still denial about need. Frog legs for dinner.

Do you really read your posts? Why compare your "gas burner" to a Volt? Again, drive 35 miles in your Prius and you'd burn 3/4 of a gallon of gas. Do the same in the Volt and you'd burn zero. Yup, seems the Volt is the one actually making an impact with the amount of gas it uses.

Its getting sad, it really is. Cruze and Volt are two totally different markets and customers right now.

Ive seen quite a few Cruze Eco's on the road here lately and they really are starting to make an impact. I just hate that ugly light blue color.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

having driven nearly 220,000 miles with 3 different generations of Prius.
    I'm sorry.
    My blog: Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 635 Posts

I have to disagree as this as a rather simplistic view of the world. Not everyone can afford a Volt (or the Prius) and almost all of us weigh a bunch of wants and needs when choosing a vehicle. This car offers a bit of driving enjoyment, a reasonable price and decent fuel efficiency. Why is that a bad thing? Because it's not the most efficient choice?

Put to you another way ... a lot of people are cheerleading electrics as city cars to make the 5 mile or so drive to work. Yet, many of those people could bike to work and have far less impact on the environment than even an electric. Does that mean my decade of regular bike commuting means I can look at Prius drives the same way you are viewing the Cobalt Eco? I don't think so; I actually think we all need to weigh our own wants and needs against our collective needs (cleaner environment, less congestion) and try to find good trade-offs as both individuals and citizens [/PREACH]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    I have to disagree as this as a rather simplistic view of the world. Not everyone can afford a Volt (or the Prius) and almost all of us weigh a bunch of wants and needs when choosing a vehicle. This car offers a bit of driving enjoyment, a reasonable price and decent fuel efficiency. Why is that a bad thing? Because it's not the most efficient choice?
    The price difference between Cruze & Prius isn't that much. The price of Prius-C is aimed directly at the Cruze market. But why did you even bring that up? It's the GM product-line that was being addressed, not the competition.

As for being a "bad" thing, that's what was meant by lowered standards. Keep in mind that Prius-V isn't the most efficient either. It strikes that balance, yet still delivers over 40.

The intent of GM with Volt for 2010 was to target middle-market. Remember all that "game changer" promoting?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Cruze and Volt are two totally different markets and customers right now.
    Need I remind you about a big 2010 goal for Volt? Remember, that "nicely under $30,000" price hope. Different markets were not the intent.

So, what should we be expecting for 2014?

Since Volt is dependent upon a plug, what will happen with Cruze? Will it end up with an eAssist variant? How will that be competitive then, when getting a plug is a package option from others?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information