2010 Equinox v4 with error codes P0172, Cat converter, burning oil fast now too

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Equinox v4 with error codes P0172, Cat converter, burning oil fast now too

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

2010 Equinox v4 with error codes P0172, Cat converter, burning oil fast now too

I have a 2010 equinox with about 138k miles on it..

I frequently get these errors.. i get the check engine light (and the engine stutters a bit from time to time on start up and when shutting off seems to keep going for a few seconds, not always though)..

Usually the check engine light comes on.. then if i read the codes using the obd app, i find the p0172 error code, and often along with it is C32AA and B2A01.. if i clear the codes it goes away for some time..
    Often though, in conjunction, i also get a dashboard (not OBD) error about "service stabilitrack".. if i turn the car off and back on, this one goes away..

I'm not sure at this point that anything is that serious, but i'm wondering if anyone has ran into this and what the solution ended up being.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by markm75; 05-30-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    2010 Equinox 1LT 4cyl AWD
    Personal Review:Hidden Content
    Tech, the Universe, and Everything: Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Re: 2010 Equinox frequent error codes P0172 System too rich and also Service Stabilit

Lately i also have been getting engine misfire on cylinder 1..

and also service stabili has been coming up more and causing a throttle power loss.

Reading online more it sounds like this could be a computer issue (replace?)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,121 Times in 3,938 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: 2010 Equinox frequent error codes P0172 System too rich and also Service Stabilit

Quote Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
    Lately i also have been getting engine misfire on cylinder 1..

and also service stabili has been coming up more and causing a throttle power loss.

Reading online more it sounds like this could be a computer issue (replace?)
    V6 or Inline 4?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    V6 or Inline 4?
    Its 4 cylinder

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,121 Times in 3,938 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Its 4 cylinder
    Your best bet might be to take it back to a dealer instead of trying to test things back and forth, take it to a busy one, they probably already be familiar with it

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Your best bet might be to take it back to a dealer instead of trying to test things back and forth, take it to a busy one, they probably already be familiar with it
    I did that today.. not sure my dealer knows what they are doing or has a clue how to fix things on this issue.

They couldnt find the same codes.. though the misfire code did show up, this time two different cylinders.

They started off recommending a "tuneup", changing spark plugs (just did and prior to this had the issue too), induction service (had the throttle body cleaned recently too, didnt help)...

Then said they'd get into "swapping coils" (not replacing either, swapping) to rule out coils..
    They also hammered on, if you dont put the same brand/model spark plugs can have issues, well i'm pretty sure the place that did them did and the issue was there prior.

I'm leaning towards either they or another place testing new coils to rule that out i guess.

I asked about the throttle position sensor, they said no codes showed up for that.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Re: 2010 Equinox v4 with error codes P0172 System too rich and also Service Stabilitr

update: the dealer decided to check the plugs and try some coil swaps..

They said i'm using something other than AC Delco and thats why i may be having issues (from other shops around with good knowledge i dont think this is the case, plus i had these issues prior to having the plugs changed).
    They said they found fuel in the oil.

They tried swapping coils, no luck (not adding new ones in the mix but trying the others).. now i have 2,3,4 misfiring apparently.

Back to the drawing board

Thanks

Re: 2010 Equinox v4 with error codes P0172 System too rich and also Service Stabilitr

Some customers may comment of an SES light on. They may also experience a rough running condition and/or an engine run on condition. Technicians will likely find a DTC P0172 set. In most cases, the crankcase will have obvious fuel contamination.

This may be a result of the high pressure fuel pump leaking fuel into the crankcase when the plunger is depressed.

I'd be looking at your high pressure fuel pump.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,717 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=1141.0

Literally the same symptoms our 2010 Terrain had.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=1141.0

Literally the same symptoms our 2010 Terrain had.
    Interesting info, thanks guys..

Only question i had, was the fuel pump (same one we are talking about here right), i think is located inside the fuel tank (sealed in, is my understanding), thats the one that could be causing the issue? (IE: might be expensive)
    Last edited by markm75; 03-27-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Only question i had, was the fuel pump (same one we are talking about here right), i think is located inside the fuel tank (sealed in, is my understanding), thats the one that could be causing the issue? (IE: might be expensive)
    No, this is the high pressure fuel pump. Direct injection engines have two. One in the tank and one that is usually cam driven inside the engine.

GM actually has a recall on the HPFP.

http://gm.oemdtc.com/6491/43180-prod...ox-gmc-terrain
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

No, this is the high pressure fuel pump. Direct injection engines have two. One in the tank and one that is usually cam driven inside the engine.

GM actually has a recall on the HPFP.

http://gm.oemdtc.com/6491/43180-prod...ox-gmc-terrain
    Thanks for that link. I had high hopes but when I called the dealer they said based on my vin it didn't apply, which seems unreal given the symptoms. I guess now my only choice might be to call gm and see if they can help and or have a shop check with a gauge to prove it's the culprit, though seems a no brainer.

Thanks
    My Ride

Thanks for that link. I had high hopes but when I called the dealer they said based on my vin it didn't apply, which seems unreal given the symptoms. I guess now my only choice might be to call gm and see if they can help and or have a shop check with a gauge to prove it's the culprit, though seems a no brainer.
    It should cover ALL 2010-2011 Equinox and Terrain with the I'm that have this issue. It's fairly widely known as BMW and Porsche had the same issues with their HPFP.

Call a different dealer. Yours is just feeding you BS.

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=22761.0
    Last edited by bballr4567; 03-28-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

It should cover ALL 2010-2011 Equinox and Terrain with the I'm that have this issue. It's fairly widely known as BMW and Porsche had the same issues with their HPFP.

Call a different dealer. Yours is just feeding you BS.

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=22761.0
    I tried contacting GM first.. gave them the link and # for the recal.. they said the same thing.. well first they said the link is 3rd party and doesnt always apply.. then said it doesnt apply specifically to my vin.. which is ridiculous. They said all their recalls are vin specific too.

I still might try another deal just to see, either way i'm probably out $500-$650 if not covered and confirmed to be the issue (gauge check still needed, but seems like a dead ringer to me).
    Last edited by markm75; 03-28-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride

That second link has all the real GM numbers in it. It's been documented thousands of times. Keep pushing.

If it matches the symptoms and its outside the VIN range GM might not cover it sometimes but your dealer can do a goodwill service for you and they will fight GM.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information