2010 Equinox - Timing Chain & Sprocket Replacement - 3 months out of warranty

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Equinox - Timing Chain & Sprocket Replacement - 3 months out of warranty

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

2010 Equinox - Timing Chain & Sprocket Replacement - 3 months out of warranty

I have been struggling with this early build 2010 4cylinder Equinox since day one. Oil consumption issues, fuel pump issues, you name it.

Just yesterday I took it in to have an oil consumption test started (based on the 2014 service advisory received from GM). In addition to starting that process, I was told that my cam sprockets and actuators were damaged and I needed those along with a new timing chain. $599 in parts alone, but they deferred cost on labor as they were also doing Engine Balance chain replacement per another 2014 service advisory and it involved removing most of the same parts, so they were kind enough to not charge labor.

My car has 49k miles on it - so it is 50K under the power train mileage. Unfortunately, it is *3 months* past five years of ownership, so it is outside the power train warranty and I was set back over $600 bucks for a *known* and *documented* issue with the timing chain, tensioner, etc.

My question is: Do you think I will have any luck with GM Customer Service in getting some assistance as I was *so close* to being under warranty coverage and tens of thousands of miles under warranty mileage restrictions? If so, any idea on how to best approach the issue with GM Customer Service?

Thanks,

Dave Zemens
    Rochester, Michigan

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Re: 2010 Equinox - Timing Chain & Sprocket Replacement - 3 months out of warranty

I think your vehicle should fall under this special coverage, which would push the coverage out to 10 years:

As the owner of a 2010 model year Chevrolet Equinox, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that on some 2010 model year Chevrolet Equinox vehicles, equipped with a 2.4L engine, the chrome layer on the balance chain pins may wear, allowing the chain to stretch. This would cause an engine noise, and if left untreated, could cause the chain to break and leading to engine damage.

In addition, the fuel pump plunger shaft seal may wear and allow fuel to leak into the crankcase, which would illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Light. This can cause engine run-on and/or the engine to run rough.

Do not take your vehicle to your General Motors dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your 2010 model year Chevrolet Equinox, equipped with a 2.4L engine, within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 193,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glovebox literature for future reference.

If you have already paid to have this special coverage condition corrected and you have not received reimbursement under a Vehicle Service Contract, you should contact your dealer as you may be eligible to receive reimbursement. Please provide your dealer with the original or clear copy of all receipts, invoices and/or repair orders verifying the repair, the amount charged, proof of payment, the date of payment of those charges, and proof of ownership of the vehicle at the time of the repair. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned above, must be received by your dealer before July 31, 2014.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Customer Care and Aftersales
    General Motors of Canada Limited
    GM #12313
    Edit: I realize this is GM Canada, but fairly certain there's one for the US for 10years/120K miles. I recall the 2.4 being noted for those issues in the Nox/Terrain and Buicks. Probably any other application too.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,680 Times in 2,635 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Re: 2010 Equinox - Timing Chain & Sprocket Replacement - 3 months out of warranty

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    I think your vehicle should fall under this special coverage, which would push the coverage out to 10 years:

Edit: I realize this is GM Canada, but fairly certain there's one for the US for 10years/120K miles. I recall the 2.4 being noted for those issues in the Nox/Terrain and Buicks. Probably any other application too.
    Its generally the very first early build units for the Theta vehicles. The HPFP failed (thanks Bosch) pretty often in them leaving a whole other mess of issues.

You would think that your dealership would push for a complete repair just due to the miles on it.

I would for usre follow up with the GM customer service.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post

Thanks...but the service advisory to which you are referring is for the balance chain and components, which in fact they were actually replacing yesterday when they found the timing chain and sprocket issues to which I am referring.

Dave

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Its generally the very first early build units for the Theta vehicles. The HPFP failed (thanks Bosch) pretty often in them leaving a whole other mess of issues.

You would think that your dealership would push for a complete repair just due to the miles on it.

I would for usre follow up with the GM customer service.
    I am following up with GM Customer Care. Yes, our fuel pump was switched out pretty early in the career of the car. And it's been consuming oil since day one, and finally they are doing an oil consumption test now under the authority of one of their other recent service bulletins.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dwzemens For This Useful Post:

bballr4567 (04-10-2015)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I followed up with GM Customer Care via this forum, Twitter and Facebook. Each inquiry ended with an "I'm sorry but we cannot assist you further with those repair costs".

Thanks
    My Ride

You need to have your dealer apply for an outside warranty repair.

Also, have customer service appeal the decision and take it higher up.

You ARE out of warranty but as you stated this is a pretty well known issue with the early build 2.4s. I wish you would have got the looked at and/or forced the dealer to fix earlier so you wouldnt have this mess.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I wish I would have gotten it looked at three months sooner too. The sad thing is that the car has ticked and clicked and sounded like a diesel almost from day one, so we didn't even notice this problem when it occurred. It's never, ever been a smooth sounding engine.

It'll be the last GM car we ever own, I am afraid.

Walking
    Thanks

as soon as you have it repaired I would trade it in.....I'm surprised with all your issues you kept it that long.........

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

As you might imagine, since the trouble with the early engines is so well known, the trade in value of those Equinox models is not very strong...so, I am stuck with it I am afraid.

Thanks
    My Ride

The trade in is actually pretty decent unless you have a complete base. If you don't get what you want go to a different dealer.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

If you have some insight into how I can determine a fair trade in value I would be interested to know the resource. I won't be buying GM, so would I get less for trade at another manufacturer?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dwzemens View Post
    I have been struggling with this early build 2010 4cylinder Equinox since day one. Oil consumption issues, fuel pump issues, you name it.

Just yesterday I took it in to have an oil consumption test started (based on the 2014 service advisory received from GM). In addition to starting that process, I was told that my cam sprockets and actuators were damaged and I needed those along with a new timing chain. $599 in parts alone, but they deferred cost on labor as they were also doing Engine Balance chain replacement per another 2014 service advisory and it involved removing most of the same parts, so they were kind enough to not charge labor.

My car has 49k miles on it - so it is 50K under the power train mileage. Unfortunately, it is *3 months* past five years of ownership, so it is outside the power train warranty and I was set back over $600 bucks for a *known* and *documented* issue with the timing chain, tensioner, etc.

My question is: Do you think I will have any luck with GM Customer Service in getting some assistance as I was *so close* to being under warranty coverage and tens of thousands of miles under warranty mileage restrictions? If so, any idea on how to best approach the issue with GM Customer Service?

Thanks,

Dave Zemens
    Rochester, Michigan
    You must be referring to camshaft actuators and solenoids, which tend to stick or fail when the oil level drops or sees extended life and is no longer properly protecting the engine (i.e. going too long on an oil change).

Typically they can run a customer assistance calculator when a customer is out of their warranty to see if GM will pay for a portion of the repair. Perhaps they ran that calculator and based on the year of the vehicle, the results were less than favorable and they helped you out in the way that you did.

I would either ask your dealer to see if GM will pay for any of the repair or call the Customer Assistance number and have them get involved with the dealer to get you a little assistance in the matter.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, but Customer Assistance heard my complaint and shut it down cold.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Ruby Red Fusion Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by dwzemens View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but Customer Assistance heard my complaint and shut it down cold.
    Time to trade it in, the 2010 and 2011's are nothing but trouble... Me and my girlfriend's have been looking at buying a new suv for her to travel to work and travel around the baby etc... something awd, 4 cylinder and was told by a good friend of mine who is a GM service advisor at a local GM dealer and told me to stay away from pretty well all 2010 and 2011's... 2012's and later seem much better but anything other then that to stay away

I have a friend, his fiance has a 2011 and are waiting for GM to approve a new engine for his because of constant issues with oil consumption, cracnk seal leaks, timing chain issues etc... My buddy at the local dealer is taking care of him

I hope you get your issues resolved but if you get a chance, trade up to something different

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information