2010 Equinox stalling is going to get me killed

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Equinox stalling is going to get me killed

Walking
    Thanks

2010 Equinox stalling is going to get me killed

I have a 1 year old 2010 Equinox LT AWD with only 7,500 kms on it(5000 miles). Beginning in January of this year, I'd be driving and then all of the sudden the vehicle would stall and I'd get no response from having my foot on the gas pedal. There'd be no warning. No warning lights, no sounds indicating anything was wrong. The radio would still work, the interior would still be lit up, just the engine would suddenly become unresponsive. So I'd turn the engine off, start it back up then drive home. This has happened several times.

Most recently, this week it happened again. I was driving, I was going around a corner and the the engine just stopped responding. I couldnt restart the engine for 15 minutes and then the engine stalled again 5 minutes after getting it started. I was able to get it back home. In total I've had problems approximately 5 times since January.

I took it to my dealership and they said they can't find anything wrong after taking it for a test drive. Well, I told them it only happens once or twice a month and it's driving fine today. They said bring it in when it happens, but how can I do that if it happens during the evening or weekends when they're closed?

I'm very frustrated. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned. This equinox is going to get me killed. I'm lucky I haven't been hit yet.

Has anyone experienced anything similiar? I'd appreciate any suggestions that others may have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

Re: 2010 Equinox stalling is going to get me killed

If I'm not mistaken they should be able to hook a data recorder up which will record the various engine parameters and will record what is happening the next time the engine stalls. Ask about hooking something like that into the computer.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    If I'm not mistaken they should be able to hook a data recorder up which will record the various engine parameters and will record what is happening the next time the engine stalls. Ask about hooking something like that into the computer.
    It only stores data a few seconds before and after the ECM trips a code. So if no code, they really don't have much to go on.

Next time it does it, shut it off and call roadside assistance. Start having it towed to the dealer every time it does it. If it is under warranty, that will motivate them to find the issue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

I thought they also had other recorders which recorded all data for longer periods and could be stopped after any given event (troublecode or not)
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

I agree with nsap, become a regular nuisance at the dealership and they'll be more motivated to find the issue. Also, which engine do you have..the 2.4 I4 or the 3.0 V6? I haven't heard of this happening on other message boards with either engine...and I'm a member of all of them.
    2010 Equinox LT, 2.4 Ecotec, Silver Ice metallic, Titanium leather

Walking
    Thanks

NoxNoob: 2.4 I4

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

No warning lights?

The tach still shows engine rpm? The accessory lights aren't own showing the engine isn't running?

Could be a fuel problem. How often do you buy fuel at different places? Try to notice the fuel level next time it stalls.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    I thought they also had other recorders which recorded all data for longer periods and could be stopped after any given event (troublecode or not)
    Back in the late '80s we had a recording device we could install into the customers car and when it acted up they hit the button and it would record extra data through the ALDL. We could then down load the data into the CAMS machine and sort through it.

We didn't use it too often and most customers weren't upset about the inconvienece. They were willing to do it to help fix an intermittent problem.

Do not know what is available nowadays.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 flatblackstrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Kawasaki Er-4n

Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    Back in the late '80s we had a recording device we could install into the customers car and when it acted up they hit the button and it would record extra data through the ALDL. We could then down load the data into the CAMS machine and sort through it.

We didn't use it too often and most customers weren't upset about the inconvienece. They were willing to do it to help fix an intermittent problem.

Do not know what is available nowadays.
    I believe I talked to you about a similar problem on my 91 GP STE. My Pontiac would do the exact same thing and when I took it to a mechanic they told me the exact same thing. I think it's electrical.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by t-rex Hidden Content
    Oh come on. Don't tell me you don't dress missus sol (solwoman?) up as Wonder Woman, build a twin towers out of mashed potatoes in the kitchen, have the kids fly remote control miniature jets (while dressed in Arab garb) into them while you do your best Will Smith impersonation from "Independence Day" ??
    11 Kawasaki Er-4n
    09 Mercedes C200
    07 Dodge Nitro RT
    06 Mercedes B170
    05 Dodge Stratus SXT
    03 Tiburon GT 6SPD
    96 Dodge Avenger ES
    91 Pontiac Grand Prix STE

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    No warning lights?

The tach still shows engine rpm? The accessory lights aren't own showing the engine isn't running?

Could be a fuel problem. How often do you buy fuel at different places? Try to notice the fuel level next time it stalls.

No warning lights, the tach still shows engine rpm, but I can't get any RPM's as the engine loses all power. All the regular lights are showing.

The fuel level has ranged from close to empty to full when this has happened. I buy fuel at the same place.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,002 Times in 4,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by NoxNoob View Post
    I agree with nsap, become a regular nuisance at the dealership and they'll be more motivated to find the issue. Also, which engine do you have..the 2.4 I4 or the 3.0 V6? I haven't heard of this happening on other message boards with either engine...and I'm a member of all of them.
    "Can't find problem" is not an adequate answer for something that is indeed a dangerous condition.

I'd suggest you complain your way up the dealership chain of command, to the dealership manager and then the owner. And then on to GM if that proves inadequate.

They should take your car in, give you a loaner, and one of the brains of the outfit drive your 'nox until the problem mainfests again.

Any other solution is unacceptable.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I had an 89 Taurus wagon that left me on the side of the road a 1/2 dozen times and it would act up once every 3 months. The fuel pump just would quit working. The first time, I felt a lurch when driving on the interstate. I immediately shut the lights and a/c and radio trying to make it to the ramp about 4 miles away. Within a mile, it dies on the side of the road. Had it towed and they found one of those inline fuses blown. Afterward, it happened repeatedly in 2-3 month intervals. Had it at the dealership and they could not find anything (I went through the crap of "it's the a/c fan, then it's the..."). In desperation, I told the Ford service to keep the car, run it around and when it happens, they will know the source. Well, after 3 weeks or so, I got a call. The mechanic was using it, it diedand he could not find the problem. Got the car back and found a hole in the air filter element housing. Nothing but monkeys at that place. Anyway, I came to the conclusion that there must be a bad wire shorting out the fuse. In Ford's infiinite design wisdom, the Taurus has about every electrical feature going through that one fusible link. I finally traded the car in for a Dodge G Caravan and my troubles were solved. I have had Fords, on and off, since 1977 and they have one feature-good mechanicals but lousey electricals.

Thanks

I just thought of a sneeky solution to get this done. Although it might be very expensive and I have no idea what the cost would be. You could take it to a foreign dealer and tell them to take out everything electrical and put it in a box. Then you can take the box of electrical equipment and put it in your home. Then have the car towed to your dealer. Tell them to install all new electrical equipment for your car. They won't have the old stuff so they won't be able to pretend they did anything if they didn't do it.

If you think your life is in danger, it might be worth a try.
    AWD wagons
    The Opel Astra and VW Scirocco need to be in North America.
    Feeling Good by David Burns

How Greece voted NO to austerity:
    Hidden Content

SX3
    Thanks

There was someone on here not too long back that had a similar issue with their new Malibu. Turns out the wiring harness was loose, wasn't plugged in all the way. Might want to look at that too.

Thanks

easiest solution is to sell it and get another car.
    2015 BMW 335i M6
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited V6

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information