2010 Equinox - roof antenna

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 74

Thread: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

  1. #1
    2.5L Iron Duke
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    The antenna on my '10 Equinox is too long to fit in to my garage. I unscrewed the whip extension and it now fits fine.

    I haven't noticed any degradation in fm/xm/gps/onstar functionality, so I'm curious what this antenna is actually for, anyone have insight?

    Also, I do want to install a stubby antenna in it's place, but I'm not having much luck with my google searching in finding a replacement. Does anyone have information on what I need?

    thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lords Valley, PA
    Posts
    8,636
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    Yes that little whip antenna is just for the AM/FM radio, and possibly for the cellular feature of your On Star system. The base it connects to houses your GPS/Sat Radio antenna. May I make a recommendation? You might consider getting a Shark Fin Antenna. The ones made by Visual Garage have an antenna built into them so you do not lose your AM/FM signal strength compared to the OEM antenna. Plus recently they have come out with Shark Fin antenna's that actually fit over the base of antenna's like yours. Give them a call if your interested and they could probably find the right product to fit your needs. Good luck.

  4. #3
    2.5L Iron Duke
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    Thanks Dweller. I sent an email off to the company asking if they can make one for the Equinox. I'll let everyone know what I hear back.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lords Valley, PA
    Posts
    8,636
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    No problem Ace. I am eager to hear the response.

  7. #5
    2.5L Iron Duke
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    Quick update. I placed an order for shark fin antenna earlier this week. The company did not have specifications for the 2010 Equinox, so I sent them some photos and measurements to make sure their product would work. That took a few days to get sorted out. I'm now waiting for them to ship the unit, after painting. I'll post back again once I install the antenna and include a picture. cheers!

  8. #6
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lords Valley, PA
    Posts
    8,636
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    Oh great, thanks for the update Ace.

  9. #7
    Walking VALK83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Alberta Canada
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    Quote Originally Posted by acej80 View Post
    Quick update. I placed an order for shark fin antenna earlier this week. The company did not have specifications for the 2010 Equinox, so I sent them some photos and measurements to make sure their product would work. That took a few days to get sorted out. I'm now waiting for them to ship the unit, after painting. I'll post back again once I install the antenna and include a picture. cheers!
    Yah post some pics I am curious to see if this is a DIY I want to do for my Equinox. Thanks for paving the way!

  10. #8
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 87silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hudson River Valley
    Posts
    827
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    If you can update us with the FM performance of this product, it would be greatly appreciated. My experience with quarter wave antennas hasn't been exactly good, and these units may have a higher denominator in regard to its ratio to wavelength. Shark Fin may or may not have something interesting going on here, but I can't be sure. I prefer better radio performance than asthetics or shorter height if there is a tradeoff, which is the case with most fractional antennas.

    If this unit proves to have BETTER reception than the stock unit, I may consider one as well. Thx

  11. #9
    2.5L Iron Duke
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    Quote Originally Posted by 87silver View Post
    If you can update us with the FM performance of this product, it would be greatly appreciated. My experience with quarter wave antennas hasn't been exactly good, and these units may have a higher denominator in regard to its ratio to wavelength. Shark Fin may or may not have something interesting going on here, but I can't be sure. I prefer better radio performance than asthetics or shorter height if there is a tradeoff, which is the case with most fractional antennas.

    If this unit proves to have BETTER reception than the stock unit, I may consider one as well. Thx
    I'd been thinking how I could provide meaningful information for you, but I'm not coming up with anything. The day I brought my 'nox home, I removed the existing antenna whip, so I could fit the vehicle in my garage. I've not noticed any reduction in reception of FM or AM signals, going without "any antenna". Granted, I live less than 10 miles from the broadcast antennas for most stations I listen too. Soo, I'm not sure without taking a long drive (twice), how I could gauge performance. If you have any ideas, please let me know, and I'll give it a try.

  12. #10
    1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    My antenna hits my garage door, too. No big deal on the way in, because the antenna is naturally flexed toward the back of the car and it isn't forced too much. But backing out the door catches the antenna and forces it to "go against the grain", so to speak. I am disappointed that it catches like this and it can't be doing any good to the underlying mout.

    I removed it today. My FM reception is still as it was, but I get basically no AM reception and I am in the middle of metro Detroit, so the signal is strong. I can live without AM. I suppose I should look into one of the aftermarket antennas.

  13. #11
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lords Valley, PA
    Posts
    8,636
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    Quote Originally Posted by dwzemens View Post
    My antenna hits my garage door, too. No big deal on the way in, because the antenna is naturally flexed toward the back of the car and it isn't forced too much. But backing out the door catches the antenna and forces it to "go against the grain", so to speak. I am disappointed that it catches like this and it can't be doing any good to the underlying mout.

    I removed it today. My FM reception is still as it was, but I get basically no AM reception and I am in the middle of metro Detroit, so the signal is strong. I can live without AM. I suppose I should look into one of the aftermarket antennas.
    You might consider the shark fin antenna I recommended, I believe it can pick up both AM and FM.

  14. #12
    Eq2
    Eq2 is offline
    Walking Eq2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    Just a bump and a comment;I saw my first Mocha Steel in person yesterday.Parked on the street,by the bay.A 2LT with the chrome package, the Mocha was even better looking than I had hoped...BUT,this is the fifth 2010 I've seen up close,including the four at a dealer's.And of the five, only one has had the full antenna.The one on the street did not.Is this an issue?

  15. #13
    2.5L Iron Duke
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    Maybe the owner of the one on the street has the same problem, and removed his antenna too?

    Honestly, I can't comment for anyone else, just my own experience.


    BTW: I received the shark-fin antenna this week, but won't have a chance to install it for at least another week.

  16. #14
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lords Valley, PA
    Posts
    8,636
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    Quote Originally Posted by acej80 View Post
    Maybe the owner of the one on the street has the same problem, and removed his antenna too?

    Honestly, I can't comment for anyone else, just my own experience.


    BTW: I received the shark-fin antenna this week, but won't have a chance to install it for at least another week.
    Don't forget to upload some pictures when you get around to it.

  17. #15
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC mot76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe

    Re: 2010 Equinox - roof antenna

    I'm curious, too. My wife just purchased a Terrain and its antenna hits our garage door, too. I'm assuming it's the same one as the Equinox.

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2