2010 Equinox overheating

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Equinox overheating

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

2010 Equinox overheating

On Saturday, I noticed a new noise from the area of the idler pulley. Not quite like a bearing going bad, but similar. It got a little worse on Sunday, but was noticeably gone when I left work Tuesday afternoon. Good... I thought.

Driving home from work and stuck in traffic, the temp guage began rising and hit the max. The DIC showed the temp icon and read "Engine Overheated - Idle Engine". I quickly pulled over and stopped the engine. No smoke or steam. Checked under hood for leaks, nothing. Let it cool then checked the resevoir for coolant. I saw there was some in the bottom and figured it was okay. Engine oil was low. Read the owner's manual and found there is a category for overheated engines with no steam!

After 20 minutes, I started it up. Temp was fine. Took off and got about 5 miles before the same thing happened. Repeat all the way home.

BTW, I turned the heater on full hot but only cool air came out. No heat. Engine compartment was not overly hot like some I have felt that overheated. And it seemed to cool down pretty quickly.

Today, my GM engineering friend tells me some of the chains used to drive the water pump are breaking. If that is what happened, it should be covered under warranty. Guess I'll find out because the dealer is coming to pick it up and check it out. I'll post the outcome.
    Last edited by kzf3m8; 06-24-2011 at 06:10 PM.
    Current vehicle: 2010 Equinox 2LT...285,000 miles
    1970 YTD miles driven...2,024,000 miles
    I buy 'em to drive 'em!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

Re: 2010 Equinox overheating

I'd guess the water pump, too. No hot air means the coolant isn't circulating through the heater core.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,304 Times in 4,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

seriously; just take it to the dealer and notify GM customer service to open a ticket for you

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    seriously; just take it to the dealer and notify GM customer service to open a ticket for you
    Customer assistance does not need to be called unless the dealer can't help the customer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    Customer assistance does not need to be called unless the dealer can't help the customer.
    I'll see what the dealer comes up with tomorrow. So far, this dealer has been pretty good to me, so it's not likely that I'll have to contact customer service.

This forum has been very useful in diagnosing and resolving the issues I've had so far. Thanks for your input.
    I buy 'em to drive 'em!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kzf3m8 View Post
    I'll see what the dealer comes up with tomorrow.
    Dealer called today. The code they read is related to the knock sensor and I was told they had to replace it ($240). When I inquired about the overheating, the guy said they didn't check for that and would have to replace the sensor before doing anything else. When I pressed further how I could have an overheated engine from a knock sensor failure, he couldn't tell me.

At first, I authorized them to replace the sensor, but then I called my GM friend who told me the two issues are not related. Possibly, the overheat condition triggered a sensor failure or code but the overheating is the main problem to look for.

I called the dealer back to 'unauthorize' the sensor replacement and asked him to check into the overheating condition. After some discussion, he agreed to test drive it and see what happens.

He called back to say they did a road test and ran the car for 40 minutes and there was no overheating. I told him that I don't understand how that could be possible. (I should have pressed him to see if they really ran it for 40 minutes since he was calling me back only 45 minutes from when we last talked.)

I had the engine idling at my house yesterday for only 20 minutes and it overheated. My GM contact is convinced it is the water pump.

Here are the symptoms from yesterday:
    1) temp guage rose from normal to max hot
    2) DIC indicated overheating
    3) no heat from the heater, cool air only
    4) there seemed to be no coolant exchange in the radiator (upper hose was hot, lower hose stayed cold)

Could the overheat condition have disappeared after being towed to the dealer? Any suggestions?
    I buy 'em to drive 'em!

Supporting Vendor GM Customer Service's Avatar
    Thanks

Next time you speak with them ask if they've contacted our Technical Assistance Center.

-Jared Duane
    GM Customer Service
    Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit Hidden Content !

Follow us @Hidden Content on Twitter.

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    Next time you speak with them ask if they've contacted our Technical Assistance Center.
    The dealer called back and said they were going to replace the water pump drive chain under warranty. Apparently, there is some service bulletin that describes this issue with failures reported between 40k and 50k.
    I buy 'em to drive 'em!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,971 Times in 5,227 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

Dealer called today. The code they read is related to the knock sensor and I was told they had to replace it ($240). When I inquired about the overheating, the guy said they didn't check for that and would have to replace the sensor before doing anything else. When I pressed further how I could have an overheated engine from a knock sensor failure, he couldn't tell me.

At first, I authorized them to replace the sensor, but then I called my GM friend who told me the two issues are not related. Possibly, the overheat condition triggered a sensor failure or code but the overheating is the main problem to look for.

I called the dealer back to 'unauthorize' the sensor replacement and asked him to check into the overheating condition. After some discussion, he agreed to test drive it and see what happens.

He called back to say they did a road test and ran the car for 40 minutes and there was no overheating. I told him that I don't understand how that could be possible. (I should have pressed him to see if they really ran it for 40 minutes since he was calling me back only 45 minutes from when we last talked.)

I had the engine idling at my house yesterday for only 20 minutes and it overheated. My GM contact is convinced it is the water pump.

Here are the symptoms from yesterday:
    1) temp guage rose from normal to max hot
    2) DIC indicated overheating
    3) no heat from the heater, cool air only
    4) there seemed to be no coolant exchange in the radiator (upper hose was hot, lower hose stayed cold)

Could the overheat condition have disappeared after being towed to the dealer? Any suggestions?
    If this is how this played out (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) this is disturbing..........

A car comes in on the hook for overheating and their repair is the knock sensor!?

Did they happen to forget to check coolant level and flow!? oh-boy.....

Thanks

The dealer called back and said they were going to replace the water pump drive chain under warranty. Apparently, there is some service bulletin that describes this issue with failures reported between 40k and 50k.
    I got a call today from the dealer. The car was to be ready for pickup after 5PM. At 5:30, I arrived at the service dept I was told the car was ready all I needed to do was see the cashier. She happily informed me there was no charge and that my car would be driven into the service bay shortly. Good to their word, I happily sat inside and drove home without incident!

I looked over the paperwork and read that the drive chain had broken. They fished it out of the oil pan and put in a new one. No more overheating. The towing bill, diagnosis, parts and labor were all covered.

So, I'm happy. I hope this saga helps someone else down the road and that you have as good an outcome!
    I buy 'em to drive 'em!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,971 Times in 5,227 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

Unhappy Re: 2010 Equinox overheating

Sounds like the dealers better start stocking up on these parts, there is about 280,000 Equinox/Terrains running around with the L4, can't imagine many are at or over 40,000 miles at this point.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmodys View Post
    Not to mention when there's an open bulletin for something that would directly cause an overheat problem.
    As a Sales MGR at a Dealership, dealing with a couple My Ford Touch issues, that appeared on the first 2 Ford Edge's we sold.

TSB's and Speciality Tools, do not always arrive before the problems occur.

Being that it is a 2010, with I assume high mileage (no warranty on intial visit), it maybe 1 of the first to show this problem.

Checking coolant flow for Overheat Issue, on the other hand.

To many Techs today, read what the computor says and changes a part. Failing to diagnos the real problem.

Example, back in the late 90's I passed a Tech scrathing his head. He could not figure out a "Miss Fire" code on a TBI 5.7L Vandura. I asked him what cylinders are miss firing? "3,5,2,8."

I had to asked him "What is in common with all 4 cylinders?" He scratches his head again. I finally had to tell him "Injector"
    Last edited by doh; 06-25-2011 at 05:12 PM.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't mean to diss Tech's, They have a Hard Enough Job. Keeping up with Tech.

But could a "knock sensor" cause an "Overheat" Or could an "Overheat" cause a Knock Sensor code?

Back to Basics. Intake, compression, power, exhaust. (suck/push/bang/blow) Many things have changed, but that has remained constant.

I still remeber the fireing order of a 250 Inline 6. From my Shop teacher's explainantion of a Very Messed Up Girl.

Not that it does much anymore.
    Last edited by doh; 06-26-2011 at 04:53 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Knock sensors have been a problem on Equinox since launched. It has been a routine and a source to many problems when they come in, so it is the first thing they are "used" to fixing when they come in. There are several threads on here discussing why they need to be tweaked (it is mostly software updates).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I still remeber the fireing order of a 250 Inline 6. From my Shop teacher's explainantion of a Very Messed Up Girl.

Not that it does much anymore.
    It was good for a laugh, at least for an older guy like me who can understand the joke!
    I buy 'em to drive 'em!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information