2010 Equinox Exhaust cracked now twice, 129k and ball joints and control arm bushings

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2010 Equinox Exhaust cracked now twice, 129k and ball joints and control arm bushings

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

2010 Equinox Exhaust cracked now twice, 129k and ball joints and control arm bushings

Just posting this out there in case anyone has any suggestions or for general information..

I have a 2010 equinox (4 cylinder LT) with about 125,000 miles on it at this point. About a year ago and 20,000 miles ago (16 months, april 2015 specifically).. supposidly the exhaust manifold cracked, you could hear it loud up front. I believe this was legit then.

Flashforward to today, the exhaust is making noise, this time around the middle of the passengers side.

I decided to take it to the dealer to get looked at, same place that changed the manifold last year.. all they did was have a guy look under the car (NOT on a rack), claimed it was cracked, the manifold that is..

I then took it to NTB.. they raised it up, checked it, said the muffler was just cracked in the middle, NOT the manifold, from the middle "back".
    They quoted me a price of over $700 with labor to repair this, though a local shop I believe, can modify a pipe and replace just the section that is bad without patching and still passing inspection.. still investigating this option.

Its a bit infuriating that the dealer would try to gouge for more money, but I know this happens.. And the cost of replacing the system is a bit ridiculous, i think because it was designed at the factory to not be modular and easy to just patch in sections that go bad.

At the same time, i also think my struts are beginning to wear, but thats another issue.
    Last edited by markm75; 10-31-2016 at 12:56 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,837 Times in 2,718 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Re: 2010 Equinox Exhaust woes at 125k miles, exhaust manifold cracked 14 months ago..

125k for struts is not that bad IMHO but can be annoying especially once they get bouncy.

As far as a dealer when they say something is "broken" always, always, always go look at it yourself and grab some pictures if possible. A manifold cracking is easy to see and even the most naïve car person should be able to tell what is up.

I'd take the car for a 3rd opinion at an independent muffler shop and see what they say.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (08-29-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 A/T 6.2 BEAST MODE

Re: 2010 Equinox Exhaust woes at 125k miles, exhaust manifold cracked 14 months ago..

You should only use the dealers for warranty repairs, you will always pay a large amount more for anything done at a dealer, and that's for both parts and labor. If all you have is a hole in a small section of pipe most muffler shops can cut and weld in a new piece for more then likely under 100 bucks. Dealerships do not do this, they are most likely quoting you on a complete cat back exhaust.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
    You should only use the dealers for warranty repairs, you will always pay a large amount more for anything done at a dealer, and that's for both parts and labor. If all you have is a hole in a small section of pipe most muffler shops can cut and weld in a new piece for more then likely under 100 bucks. Dealerships do not do this, they are most likely quoting you on a complete cat back exhaust.
    Yeah I went to my local guy and he says its only a gasket and should only take a day or less to fix.. amazing the difference between places.

Walking
    Thanks

my 2010 equinox just blew a rod at 122,000 miles pulled engine put an engine in that had 82,000 miles on it . a week b4 rod went engine got louder . when I pulled engine manifold was cracked from engine side top to fire wall bottom about .03 width . now that's the same

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Still trying to get my issue fixed..

The biggest gripe i have is that the manifold has a 12 month warranty from gm.. it cracks after 16 months, with no love from the dealer that installed it, or GM (i'm wondering if i should contact GM directly). Whats to say i put this SECOND manifold in, and 16 months later the same thing happens again, its a bit crazy.

This motor thats in the car, is also the second motor.. put in around 55k miles now at 129k miles.. the first was a "lemon" awhile back.

Another person checked but didnt remove shields because its too much work and they too say it may be cracked. How do you determine a manifold is cracked without getting to it? (in the case of the first person from the dealer, all he did was crawl under the car, no rack and claimed it is).

This last check also seems to think a flex pipe may be leaking/bad and also leaking/sut around the cad converter up front, so worst case .. manifold + a flex pipe + cat (guesswork seems to indicate 700$).. the local shop wants $360 to do the manifold.. the dealer with a loyalty discount was 277.. the flex pipe and cat are seemingly superexpensive if its them, or the possibility exists to weld the area around the cat if its leaking instead.

When i called the dealer a second time, i got a generic person on, they wanted $50 to diagnosis, their already diagnosis.. and no refundable or work into the price either.. another ridiculous thing, especially if you let them do the work, they basically walk off with an extra $50.
    Last edited by markm75; 10-28-2016 at 09:52 AM.
    2010 Equinox 1LT 4cyl AWD
    Personal Review:Hidden Content
    Tech, the Universe, and Everything: Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

After going to the dealer..

$200 down from 277 on the manifold, they still say it is cracked, but cut a little bit off the cost.. however upon inspection..

2 front ball joints worn basically.. $146 with parts and labor for each one so another $300 here..
    Then they said the 2 front control arm bushings are worn out.. $92.28 in parts x 2 plus $162 for labor combined.. plus $60 for alignment.. this whole deal with the manifold ended up at 830 or so.. unreal (or maybe just par for the course).

I didnt have time to check around on cheaper pricing on the ball joints and bushings however.. ill save 10% off that with a discount card, maybe 70 less or 80.

Is this typical for a 129k mile equinox to have both ball joints go, plus control arm bushings.. its true it is 7 years old now, bought in nov 2009.. perhaps so.. i did feel rattling over bumps up front, so i believe its legit.. it wont pass inspection without these fixes.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,572 Times in 1,918 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Re: 2010 Equinox Exhaust cracked now twice, 129k and ball joints and control arm bush

Find a mechanic now so that you don't have to go to the stealer next time.
    I never take anything to them that's out of warranty. And I do my own brakes... they're not hard.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Re: 2010 Equinox Exhaust cracked now twice, 129k and ball joints and control arm bush

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    Find a mechanic now so that you don't have to go to the stealer next time.
    I never take anything to them that's out of warranty. And I do my own brakes... they're not hard.
    Well, seems this was a little more involved than just brakes would have been.

It was a timing issue.. needed inspected.. do it all in one shot vs waste days later. I have a few local shops that could have done this for a little less.. give or take, but they still charge similar rates for labor (guessing around $80-$90 per hour labor)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 568 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Honda Accord Sport

I can't say I've seen it happen on other Equinox's but ball joints and bushings at that mileage is pretty typical wear for most cars.
    2019 Honda Accord Sport

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ryannel2003 For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (10-31-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by markm75 View Post
    Well, seems this was a little more involved than just brakes would have been.

It was a timing issue.. needed inspected.. do it all in one shot vs waste days later. I have a few local shops that could have done this for a little less.. give or take, but they still charge similar rates for labor (guessing around $80-$90 per hour labor)
    I'm saying to get an indy mechanic lined up so you know where to go next time.
    In my experience, they're going to be less than the dealer because people would just go to the dealer if they weren't.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,141 Times in 3,952 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Just my two cents. My Equinox is dealer serviced and has zero issues. When I had a HHR, I did a cheap Struts replacement and I was back with a more expensive dealer struts in less that 15 months, my advice, use genuine parts.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Just my two cents. My Equinox is dealer serviced and has zero issues. When I had a HHR, I did a cheap Struts replacement and I was back with a more expensive dealer struts in less that 15 months, my advice, use genuine parts.
    I don't use cheap parts. I just don't use the dealer.
    My indy is the largest non-dealer user of AC Delco parts in the Greater Podunk Metro Area.

Unlike the dealer, he always gives me multiple options for parts. No junky stuff allowed.
    When my Merkur chucked its high pressure fuel pump, he found a Ford OEM pump and a Bosch pump.
    The rare Ford pump was double the price of the Bosch part, so I picked the Bosch.

Since the car is German, I figured that the Ford pump may well have been a rebadged Bosch pump anyway.
    I owned a '77 BMW 320is back in the day and I swear half that car was made by Bosch.
    Last edited by eaton53; 10-31-2016 at 06:39 PM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information