2010 Chevy equinox (A dissapointment .. atleast for me)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2010 Chevy equinox (A dissapointment .. atleast for me)

Walking
    Thanks

2010 Chevy equinox (A dissapointment .. atleast for me)

In 2010 inspite of all the talks around from people around me (family , friends,co-workers) about not buying GM car.. i saw something in the Equinox which made me think I should listen to my heart and buy it... I am fond of driving and surely equinox was a good car for the first 6 months i owned it, but as the mileage crept.. issues just started pouring in.. won't go in much detail but in 3.5 years i have owned the car.. I have had roughly 65000 miles (i do drive a lot of highway miles) and all my services were done by a GM Chevy dealer... but so far I have had to replace the fuel pump (twice), timing chain, the air conditioner compressor, the condensor and the actuator valves (fuel valve i guess) .. all under the(extended warranty) i have bought.. and today looks like my car is concuming OIL. (btw the oil monitoring sytem is reading 40 %)..s o no way in the world is that sensor reading a good number.. there was no check engine lite came on..... last service miles were at around 65K and i am around 69 K and I heard noises coming from the engine and a clear rattle and lack in performace. Take it to a dealer and they say.. might need to run a oil consumption test (nothing else seems to be wrong).. I am sure i have not seen the oil leak (i would have noticed that) but still they insist to run the test..lets see what happens..

I am here to see if there is anyone who can help voice my concern to the GM /Chevy team. This type of quality of the Engine is surely not expected after paying the price . It was my first GM car..(might be the last) looking at the issues i am finding.. they need to see the customer pain ino rder to understand the product they have delivered. Very disaapointed.. not sure what to do at this time..

Feels like they sold me a car with a PROT/Pilot engine... (so many issues ).... hopefully the car survives 100K miles.. at this rate.. of failures

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy HHR/2011/White

Re: 2010 Chevy equinox (A dissapointment .. atleast for me)

Sorry to hear about your experience. What engine do you have the 4cyl or 6cyl. My understanding of the fuel pumps in GM cars today is that you should not let the fuel go near empty as this causes the sedaments to gather and block flow... I hope your dealer experience was good. I rolled the dice 13 years ago and bought a GM having owned several foreign makes, I traded it in with over 240,000 miles on it and now we only buy GM. The vehicle was not perfect but had no major issues, repairs were standard. My wifes present GM has been worry free and literally the best car we have ever owned.It is too bad that every vehicle GM makes does not please every costumer. Hope you can get the latest issue resolved. Best regards, hope this doesn't wreak of Fan Boy jabber.

Thanks

Unfortunately a common issue on your 2010 Nox.

Still under warranty. Hopefully your dealer takes care of you.

Check out this link http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?s=ecotec+rings
    FYI, this is an older bulletin and most likely has been updated.
    2016 FORD F250 4X4 - 2018 CHEVY VOLT PREMIER

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you checking your oil level per the owner's manual?

"At Each Fuel Stop
    . Engine oil level check. See
    Engine Oil on page 9‑10."

Engine oil consumption test has nothing to do with oil leaks. What date did the dealer last change the oil?

Walking
    Thanks

Hello...Thanks for the reply

I have a 4 cyl and i would say i usually fill it up when the tank level says 1/4 left to go. The dealer experience honestly is the only thing which has been beyond expectation. They have been supportive but the only thing which worries me is the quality of the key components of the car. Also as i work also for a engine manufacturer (my day job) I am aware of all kinds of red tapes getting between me (the systems guy) and an end customer.. We are aggressively trying to reduce the red tapes so we can get better feedback from the final customer/dealer abt the final product.. this helps us improve the products.. unfortunately i feel this is one part where gm is seriously lacking...
    a good example is regarding my latest experience...if the oil level feel too drasticlly in the 5009 miles i drove from my lat service change.. only 1 of 2 things might have happened.. A) either the dealer dint put enough oil las time i was there (which is very unlikely looking at their track record with servicing my car) B) since there are no leaks... it has to be burning in the cylinders...
    but GM procedures would want me to risk driving 500 miles and then do even more(if needed) until the dealer determines that yes now we have a proof of engine consuming oil... And while everything above is happening i am left skeptical that what damage the oil is doing to my engine as i drive it to office everyday and making permanent damage to the block..... it makes sense for GM to do this.. (may be if they dont trust the dealers). but does it reduce customer pain//increase customer confidence.. NO i guess... I have asked the dealer Service Manager to talk to the Area Rep if they could bypass this protocol... lets see if common sense prevails...

Walking
    Thanks

I made a road trip to the east coast form the midwest after my last oil change in sept (that was when the fuel pump and timing chain ) were changed...racked up 5000 miles in 3 months... and agreed i have not been checking the oil as per the manual.. but shouldnt the oil monitoring system inside help me with this.. i have been told to follow that for oil changes (agreed it doesnot tell u the oil level) but then why would it not take that in consideration while giving out a quality reading.. (they are virtually using a tuning fork sensor) which would detect debris...only...i guess... but ya.. lets see what happens next....

Walking
    Thanks

thanks for the link .. that was helpful.. that what the dealer said.. might have to replace piston and rings...if the test comes positive.. making me think if a bulletin is there and you can see i am missing a 3.5 quarts of oil in 5k... surely its not leaks but the root cause identified byt he bulletin.. why wait and enhance the damage 500 or more miles..

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

The oil monitor system monitors oil life, not oil usage or oil level. That must be done manually.

"Common sense" was what established the protocol. The amount of oil used in the amount of time/mileage dictates the proper repair for your vehicle's engine.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I'm about to have my pistons and rings replaced for the oil issue, which seems to be pretty common in the 2010 4 cylinders. I have about 83,000 miles so it's all under warranty, they're even providing me with a loaner. Other than going through a little oil I've been thrilled with my Equinox, love everything about it. If I wasn't going a little larger with my next vehicle (probably a Traverse) I'd have no problem buying another Equinox.

Replacing the pistons and rings is a fairly new fix. Up until September they were replacing the whole engine in most instances. Kind of sucks I/we missed out on that but I understand GM is only obligated to fix the issue, which replacing the pistons/rings should do.

Sorry to hear you got a bad one.
    Last edited by kilcher; 11-06-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shivpar View Post
    In 2010 inspite of all the talks around from people around me (family , friends,co-workers) about not buying GM car.. i saw something in the Equinox which made me think I should listen to my heart and buy it... I am fond of driving and surely equinox was a good car for the first 6 months i owned it, but as the mileage crept.. issues just started pouring in.. won't go in much detail but in 3.5 years i have owned the car.. I have had roughly 65000 miles (i do drive a lot of highway miles) and all my services were done by a GM Chevy dealer... but so far I have had to replace the fuel pump (twice), timing chain, the air conditioner compressor, the condensor and the actuator valves (fuel valve i guess) .. all under the(extended warranty) i have bought.. and today looks like my car is concuming OIL. (btw the oil monitoring sytem is reading 40 %)..s o no way in the world is that sensor reading a good number.. there was no check engine lite came on..... last service miles were at around 65K and i am around 69 K and I heard noises coming from the engine and a clear rattle and lack in performace. Take it to a dealer and they say.. might need to run a oil consumption test (nothing else seems to be wrong).. I am sure i have not seen the oil leak (i would have noticed that) but still they insist to run the test..lets see what happens..

I am here to see if there is anyone who can help voice my concern to the GM /Chevy team. This type of quality of the Engine is surely not expected after paying the price . It was my first GM car..(might be the last) looking at the issues i am finding.. they need to see the customer pain ino rder to understand the product they have delivered. Very disaapointed.. not sure what to do at this time..

Feels like they sold me a car with a PROT/Pilot engine... (so many issues ).... hopefully the car survives 100K miles.. at this rate.. of failures
    I had fewer miles than you on my 2010 Equinox when I traded it for a similar vehicle from another manufacturer. I've been buying GM vehicles for 30 years and most of them had some serious flaw that made me question my sanity for doing the same thing over and over. I had the oil consumption issue you have and rather than jumping through numerous hoops to get it fixed under warranty, I got rid of it.
    Good luck with your problem. Hopefully the dealer will work with you and not make it a miserable experience.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information