2010 4 cylinder Equinox.. Trailer options for utility towing (rototillers etc)?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2010 4 cylinder Equinox.. Trailer options for utility towing (rototillers etc)?

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

2010 4 cylinder Equinox.. Trailer options for utility towing (rototillers etc)?

This could be a silly question, but.. i'm wondering if it is possible to put a utility trailer on the 4 cylinder..

I have a uhaul style hitch for bikes with a 1.25" end, but also a 1.25 to 2.00" converter (tongue limit on that part is 350lbs).. The uhaul hitch is class 2, 3500lb.

I'm wondering if i could even haul any type of trailer + a 200lb rototiller.. i guess probably not, unless there were 1.25" utility trailers that could take more weight?

Also i've never attached anything other than bike racks, so i assume i need some sort of wiring for lights + a ball adapter? I'm not even sure which types of "trailers" to be looking for offhand.

I do see things like this as well.. https://www.amazon.com/Mounted-Utili.../dp/B00EF403J0 (but its 2", weighs what appears to be about 50 lbs, so i guess even then falls under the 350 limit with a 200lb tiller).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by markm75; 06-14-2016 at 03:03 PM.
    2010 Equinox 1LT 4cyl AWD
    Personal Review:Hidden Content
    Tech, the Universe, and Everything: Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Lone Star Skipper Evinrude 35

Re: 2010 4 cylinder Equinox.. Trailer options for utility towing (rototillers etc)?

I pulled 650 lbs. of boat, motor and gear plus a 250 lb. brother-in-law on board with a 1.5 liter Hyundai Accent. Towed to Lake of the Ozarks and back from St Louis. Handled it quite well. I picked up a hitch and wiring kit for my wife's Captiva and plan on pulling that same boat when the Captiva gets handed down to me. A small utility trailer and some yard equipment should be easily doable. You must have a Troy Built tiller if it weighs that much. Or a Gravely with a tiller attachment.

Go online for the wiring kit, the best ones tap 12v. from the battery. A little more trouble to install but much brighter lights through the adapter.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Re: 2010 4 cylinder Equinox.. Trailer options for utility towing (rototillers etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by Larkbill View Post
    I pulled 650 lbs. of boat, motor and gear plus a 250 lb. brother-in-law on board with a 1.5 liter Hyundai Accent. Towed to Lake of the Ozarks and back from St Louis. Handled it quite well. I picked up a hitch and wiring kit for my wife's Captiva and plan on pulling that same boat when the Captiva gets handed down to me. A small utility trailer and some yard equipment should be easily doable. You must have a Troy Built tiller if it weighs that much. Or a Gravely with a tiller attachment.

Go online for the wiring kit, the best ones tap 12v. from the battery. A little more trouble to install but much brighter lights through the adapter.
    Wow, ok thats reassuring, but what about something like a cargo mount that goes on the hitch, no wheels.. like in the first post, this guy.. seems it might do the job.. if it can hold a snowblower, should be about the same.. though i've never tied anything like that down.. assuming i'd need chains and bungee cords.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Lone Star Skipper Evinrude 35

Ratchet straps. I'm a little leery of a 1 1/2" receiver being class 2, also I wouldn't want to hang a platform like that on an adapter. I would want it in a 2" and as close to the receiver as possible. Maybe even use a couple extra straps to stabilize it to the back of the car. I prefer my Harbor Freight folding utility trailer, but understand not everyone may have room for it.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Larkbill View Post
    Ratchet straps. I'm a little leery of a 1 1/2" receiver being class 2, also I wouldn't want to hang a platform like that on an adapter. I would want it in a 2" and as close to the receiver as possible. Maybe even use a couple extra straps to stabilize it to the back of the car. I prefer my Harbor Freight folding utility trailer, but understand not everyone may have room for it.
    I can see how maybe this is an issue, unless they have a 1.25" version that is native to my uhaul hitch.. the cargo platform is much more ideal than a trailer, but the harbor freight looks nice.. i dont know much about requirements to connect to my 2" adapter though.. requiring a ball and tail light wiring i think (and a plate?).

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Silverado 1500 Z71

It's got a 1,500lbs tow rating with the 2.4 so I'd say you are fine for small things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nova Omega Ventura Apollo gets you NOVA, genius isn't it?

Occupy Wall Streeters should go occupy their homes...or a job...

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information