2010 3.6 V6 Intake Manifold Leaks?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2010 3.6 V6 Intake Manifold Leaks?

Walking
    Thanks

2010 3.6 V6 Intake Manifold Leaks?

I have been driving troublesome used cars for years and while it has forced me to learn to be a pretty experience shade tree mechanic, it is time consuming and stressful to deal with while I'm in college. Lately, I've been looking to somehow get a much newer car and I stopped by a used lot to look at a 2010 Malibu with the 3.6 V6 that had about 50k miles on it. I popped the hood and started exploring and when I removed the oil cap, I noticed a VERY orange film covering the inside of the cap. When I wiped my finger on it, it made my finger look like it had red clay mud on it. I've had to replace 3 lower intake manifold gaskets with the upgraded aluminum gasket on Series II L36's and L67 3800 V6's in the past and that had me wondering if the orange film I saw in the Malibu's 3.6 could have been DexCool in the oil due to an intake manifold leak. That made me curious as to whether or not anyone has been having issues with this orange film in the oil cap and whether or not anyone has figured out what it is. Do the 3.6's have the same lower intake manifold gasket problem that they 3800's had? I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into if I buy a car with the 3.6.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: 2010 3.6 V6 Intake Manifold Leaks?

No, its not coolant....coolant isnt ran through intake manifolds anymore, its probably moisture from short trips and the PCV system not able to pull the moisture out-----The car is begging to be driven...Also the car still has powertrain warranty, I suggest asking a dealership about updated valve covers or valve cover gaskets.
    Last edited by Jedi; 12-09-2013 at 09:48 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jedi For This Useful Post:

MrCritical (12-09-2013)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    Orange on oil caps 99% of the time is from very short trips where the condensation within the motor hasnt been evaporated.

Not a good thing, but unless its a ton, its no big deal. At 55k miles there is a tiny bit forming on the cap of my 3.0L Equinox.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

It's not the intake that you need to worry about with these engines. From what I understand timing chains can be an issue with many iterations of the GM global 3.6 so I would investigate that first. From what I understand it's mainly the DI LLT and early LFX motors that were affected but make sure the Malibu's 3.6 isn't on that list.

Walking
    Thanks

Good to know. I grew up in the country and my trips were always long enough to bring any engine to full operating temperature, so I really didn't know this! I am used to seeing a slight color in the oil cap, but not so distinctly orange.

Knowing this stuff, I may go back and give that car a test drive and get the vin number to check things about the engine.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information