2007 Impala Engine Whine Noise

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2007 Impala Engine Whine Noise

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

2007 Impala Engine Whine Noise

I have a 2007 Chevy Impala It has a whine sound just like a supercharger. It gets louder when I turn the steering wheel and its coming from the engine compartment....!!!! What do you think it could be...?/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: 2007 Impala Engine Whine Noise

Quote Originally Posted by Jayln View Post
    I have a 2007 Chevy Impala It has a whine sound just like a supercharger. It gets louder when I turn the steering wheel and its coming from the engine compartment....!!!! What do you think it could be...?/
    Probably the power steering pump. Check the fluid level.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Quote Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
    Probably the power steering pump. Check the fluid level.
    Second this. Had this happen on my 2006 Buick LaCrosse CXS. Same W-body goodness. It needed about a quarter of a bottle to get it to the right level and then the sound went away.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia

I agree with the power steering pump. This happened to me several years ago on my Impala. I checked the power steering and the fluid was really low. I filled it up and haven't had a problem since. I never really understood that one.
    2017 GMC Acadia
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by impala02 View Post
    I agree with the power steering pump. This happened to me several years ago on my Impala. I checked the power steering and the fluid was really low. I filled it up and haven't had a problem since. I never really understood that one.
    Thats what it was...!!! But it needed about a quarter.... Thats kinda stupid though...!! LoL

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 458 Posts

I bought a new 2008 Impala LTZ (3.9 V-6) and when I drove it home, it had a slight whine. I checked the power steering fluid and the level did not even reach the bottom of the cap dip-stick. I added fluid to the correct level and that eliminated the noise.

The GM factory failed to install the correct amount of power steering fluid and the dealer did a poor job of checking the car and adjusting the fluid levels before I bought it.

Later, under the new car warranty, one of the power steering lines began leaking fluid. It required a new clamp to repair.

If your power steering fluid was low - you must have a slow-leak somewhere. There is a TSB for Chevrolet Impala's regarding a loose power steering line clamp that was to be replaced with a constant-pressure clamp. There was also a recall for your year Impala to replace a defective power steering fluid line. You may want to speak with your dealer, provide the vehicle VIN, and see what TSB and/or recall applies to your car.

Good luck.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

thanks

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

If that does not resolve your problem, have someone check your accessory drive idler pulleys. Years ago I took delivery of a 2000 Z28 that sounded like it had a turbo underhoodThe dealer chased the noise for a few months until they replaced the pulley and the noise went away.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DAyers View Post
    If that does not resolve your problem, have someone check your accessory drive idler pulleys. Years ago I took delivery of a 2000 Z28 that sounded like it had a turbo underhoodThe dealer chased the noise for a few months until they replaced the pulley and the noise went away.
    I took it to the shop yesterday, they said my tensioner was loose and fell right off then said it was ok and just needed to be tightened. The noise went away for a little while but cam right back they aslo stated the serpentine belt looked good. And I have a new syptom now when I make a full lock turn or three point turn it makes this bird chirp noise and its coming from the engine and it also does the belt chirping noise when I turn on cold air. And the whines is still there but the power steering p
    Resvoir is full. Someone please help me...

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jayln View Post
    I took it to the shop yesterday, they said my tensioner was loose and fell right off then said it was ok and just needed to be tightened. The noise went away for a little while but cam right back they aslo stated the serpentine belt looked good. And I have a new syptom now when I make a full lock turn or three point turn it makes this bird chirp noise and its coming from the engine and it also does the belt chirping noise when I turn on cold air. And the whines is still there but the power steering p
    Resvoir is full. Someone please help me...
    Any thoughts you guys?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I have the same issue on my 2006 Monte Carlo and my parents have the same issue on their 2007 Impala. I have my belt tensioner replaced once for the chirp. It went away for 5K and came back. It is a poor design. The 3.5 and 3.9 are coarse "value" engines that are not designed or made well.

I spoke with a GM mechanic and he said "You can throw all kinds of parts at it, but it won't go away..."
    1917 Ford Model T Touring

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information