2004 Monte Carlo Steering Wheel

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2004 Monte Carlo Steering Wheel

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

2004 Monte Carlo Steering Wheel

2004 Supercharged model with only 14,300 miles. In the winter, it is garaged and I am the only driver. I just had a new instrument cluster installed about 200 miles ago. This last month while pulling it out on a clear day (dry pavement), I noticed that the steering wheel has changed-appeared are 3 lines, 120 degrees apart and basically it looks like the assembly under the leather (horn and air bag), want to come out or that the leather has taken a set around what I can only think is a set of hinges for the deployment of the air bag. So, it unnerved me. Nothing like thinking you are tooling down the road and the bag decides to deloy.
    So, I took it to the dealership from whom I purchased the vehicle. Since the air bag light is not on, they said no problem. Also, since they had no wheels in stock there was no way to compare it. Phone calls to various dealers finally yielded somebody who said they had a spare with the same situation. I disagreed since I know my car and had a pic in the 2004 brochure of the car when I purchased it. There are no lines showing anything underneath the skin.
    I think my only recourse is to find Impalas and Monte Carlos with the same vintage year (2004-5) and use them as examples. This car spends as much time going to the dealership as well as around town. They tried to stick me with the failed instrument panel so I do not have a high regard (currently) for what they say.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Re: 2004 Monte Carlo Steering Wheel

Being a GM parts manager, I have NEVER heard of an air bag on ANY model or make of vehicle just deploy without impact or shorting of wires to purposely deploying. Me and the wife own a 2004 Dale Jr Edition Monte Carlo. I has these lines on the airbag area of the steering wheel. No danger to deployment that I am aware of.
    Last edited by Hoss Lanier; 03-01-2011 at 10:45 AM.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

The 3 lines (120 degrees apart) appeared suddenly. I am not so much worried about the air bags now but the material quality is suspect. I have a 98 G Caravan of which the material did not change as this one did . As I said, I showed the service manager the 2004 brochure which has a big photo of the steering wheel area with no lines and this is how my wheel looked until about a month ago. Odd;I would think that the material would become more taut rather than take a set around the radius of the lines. It does look stupid that the vertical line bisects the chevy logo at the top. I am wondering if a leather or other surface treatment would restore it---it looks like it needs a botox treatment.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

There is no danger of accidental deployment, but the material covering it sounds like junkola.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 The Other Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
    There is no danger of accidental deployment, but the material covering it sounds like junkola.
    Well it is an '04 Monte... while I loved the exterior, that interior was downright gaudy.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Other Guy View Post
    Well it is an '04 Monte... while I loved the exterior, that interior was downright gaudy.
    Yeah, 2000-2007 Monte Carlos had REALLY cheap interiors. I'd still get an '06-'07 SS V8 though

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 The Other Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_313 View Post
    Yeah, 2000-2007 Monte Carlos had REALLY cheap interiors. I'd still get an '06-'07 SS V8 though
    It took a step in the right direction with the freshening, it was just too little too late... and not enough.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

I did an online research and the appearance of these lines seems to be the norm for this steering wheel design. Good thing--the air bag and horn assemblies are not jeopardized. I looked at my co-workers 2006 Monte and the steering wheel is a much different design which is good for him. So, now left with the lines I am contemplating why they appeared in the first place. Is it a hardening of the material or the loss of some polymers (like it needs a botox treatment)? And, if so, can I reverse the action with a treatment. Here, I did not see any firm info on the ArmorAll and Mothers web sites.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information