09 Malibu questions

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 09 Malibu questions

Walking
    Thanks

09 Malibu questions

just bought used 09 Malibu and was told it was equipped with Bluetooth. watch YouTube videos but mine doesn't say ready. also check engine light came on and was told because they didn't use synthetic oil it made light come on, that sounds like bs to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 453 Posts

Re: 09 Malibu questions

Quote Originally Posted by dollydagger View Post
    just bought used 09 Malibu and was told it was equipped with Bluetooth. watch YouTube videos but mine doesn't say ready. also check engine light came on and was told because they didn't use synthetic oil it made light come on, that sounds like bs to me.

Bluetooth: Read the vehicle owner's manual and speak to the person that sold it to you.

Check engine light: Read the vehicle owner's manual for the engine oil requirement, then speak to the person that told you about the lack of synthetic oil causing the light to come on.

Chevrolet vehicle owner manuals are available as a .pdf file on line.

Walking
    Thanks
    thank you but no owners manual. downloaded one from internet and have watched YouTube videos. it is not working. have followed instructions to a T. the owners manual said nothing about the synthetic oil. the machine printed off possible causes it is something to do with the sensor in oil pan

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC cp-the-nerd's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Malibu LT V6

Conventional oil will NOT cause any check engine light in a Malibu (it came with conventional oil from factory). However, if this is the 3.6L V6 engine, it needs Dexos 1 certified oil (semi-synthetic) or better for maximum reliability.

I believe 2LT and LTZ models had Bluetooth. Mine is a 2LT (plus 3.6L engine package) and I have Bluetooth.
    Hidden Content
    14.36 1/4 mi @ 98.0 mph (Tuned)
    Real World FE: 18/29 mpg

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SeetheUSA's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

All of the engines require Dexos- the 4 AND the 6. I would take that car back and leave it. If they haven't maintained it properly, the dash light is probably the tip of the iceberg.
    Get used to more.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC cp-the-nerd's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Malibu LT V6

Quote Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
    All of the engines require Dexos- the 4 AND the 6. I would take that car back and leave it. If they haven't maintained it properly, the dash light is probably the tip of the iceberg.
    The 2008-09 Malibu make no mention of Dexos oil in the manual. They came from factory with conventional. It was only in 2010 and beyond that GM decided semi-synthetic was better for longevity and fuel economy. Generally, the Ecotec 2.4L is perfectly fine on conventional oil. It's been around a while and has proven pretty durable.

I completely agree that a check engine light NEEDS to be sorted out by the seller, don't take any BS from them about oil quality.
    Hidden Content
    14.36 1/4 mi @ 98.0 mph (Tuned)
    Real World FE: 18/29 mpg

Supporting Vendor GM Customer Service's Avatar
    Thanks

Good morning dollydagger,

Based on page 3-37 of your Owner’s Manual, your check engine light should come on when the ignition is on, but the engine is not running, as a check to show its working. If the check engine comes on and stays on, while the engine is running, this indicates that there is an On Board Diagnostics-Second Generation (OBD II) problem and service is required. Your manual does not state Dexos is required. However, SAE 5W-30 is best for your vehicle. I would be happy to schedule a service appointment on your behalf.

In regard to pairing your phone, I know you have already printed and reviewed the Owner’s Manual PDF but I wanted to include the steps below to ensure you received all of the information. The Bluetooth system can be used while the key is ON/RUN or ACC/ACCESSORY position. A Bluetooth enabled cell phone must be paired to the in-vehicle Bluetooth system first and then connected to the vehicle before it can be used. The pairing process is disabled with the vehicle is in motion. Please follow the steps below to being pairing:

1. Press and hold the phone button for two seconds. The system will respond with “Ready” followed by a tone.
    2. Say “Bluetooth.” The system responds with “Bluetooth ready” followed by a tone.
    3. Say “Pair.” The system responds with instructions and a four digit PIN number. The PIN number will be used in the Step 4.
    4. Start the Pairing process on the cell phone that will be paired to the vehicle. Reference the cell phone manufacturer’s user guide for information on this process. Locate the device named “General Motors” in the list on the cellular phone and follow the instructions on the cell phone to enter the four digit PIN number that was provided in Step 3.
    5. The system prompts for a name for the phone. Used a name that best describes the phone. This name will be used to indicate which phone is connected. The system then confirms the name.
    6. The system will respond with “<phone name> has been successfully paired” after the process is compete.
    7. Repeat steps 1-7 for additional phones to be paired.

If the above steps are unsuccessful, please try the following steps listed below as the initial owner may not have deleted his/her content which could prevent you from pairing your device:

1. Press and hold the phone button for two seconds. The system responds with “Ready” followed by a tone.
    2. Say “Bluetooth.” The system responds with “Bluetooth ready” followed by a tone.
    3. Say “Delete.” The system asks which phone to delete followed by a tone.
    4. Say the name of the phone to be deleted. If the phone name is unknown, use the “List” command for a list of all paired phones. The system responds with “Would you like to delete <phone name>? Yes or No” followed by a tone.
    5. Say “Yes” to delete the phone. The system responds with “OK, deleting <phone name>”.

After these steps are completed you will then need to try pairing again using steps 1-7. Please note that not all phones support all functions, and not all phones are guaranteed to work with the in-vehicle Bluetooth system. To site this information, please see page 3-75 and 3-77 of your manual. For more information on compatible phones please visit www.gm.com/bluetooth. As a reminder, I would be more than happy to schedule a service appointment on your behalf to care for the check engine light, should this concern remain unresolved. I’m happy to help so please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions.

Have a great day, and happy pairing!

Kayla K.
    GM Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by dollydagger View Post
    thank you but no owners manual. downloaded one from internet and have watched YouTube videos. it is not working. have followed instructions to a T. the owners manual said nothing about the synthetic oil. the machine printed off possible causes it is something to do with the sensor in oil pan
    Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit Hidden Content !

Follow us @Hidden Content on Twitter.

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information