VW fears heavy fines if it publishes emissions probe findings

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: VW fears heavy fines if it publishes emissions probe findings

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

VW fears heavy fines if it publishes emissions probe findings

Automotive News...

HANOVER, Germany -- Volkswagen AG will not publish a final report with the conclusions of an external investigation into its diesel emissions scandal conducted by U.S. law firm Jones Day.

Addressing 3,000 shareholders at the carmaker’s annual general meeting here Wednesday, VW Chairman Hans Dieter Poetsch praised the Jones Day probe as "one of the most comprehensive in German corporate history," but said VW would risk heavy fines and potentially more lawsuits if it agreed to the demands.

"I’m aware that some of you wish for greater transparency. Often the publishing of a full report is demanded,” Poetsch said. "To be clear: there is no written final report from Jones Day, nor will there be. I ask for your understanding that for legal reasons Volkswagen is prevented from publishing any such report."

Poetsch said VW would risk “massive fines" if the report were published. Despite the automaker's settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice, there are many civil litigation cases were ongoing and official investigations still pending.

VW's plea deal with the U.S. government prevents it from deviating from the official conclusions published by the Department of Justice in a so-called "Statement of Facts."

Investors at the meeting were unhappy with the explanation and continued to press for the report to be published.

Investment advisory firm Hermes EOS said disclosing the report's findings would allow VW to move on from its biggest-ever corporate crisis.

Hermes representative Hans-Christoph Hirt said the statement of facts is no replacement for a full report. "That is the only way to win back lost confidence," he said.

Christian Strenger, a shareholder rights advocate and German corporate governance expert, demanded that management and directors "put all their cards on the table," since there is a legal back door that explicitly allows VW the option of publishing new information. "Under the plea agreement, the U.S. has a right to see any findings and agree to them in advance," he said.

"Your reference to the statement of facts agreed in the U.S. is completely insufficient and almost insulting to all those who are interested in complete clarification of responsibilities," said Strenger, a supervisory board member at DWS Deutsche Asset Management.

Just after the scandal erupted in 2015, VW pledged to inform shareholders about the findings of the Jones Day report, which was used as the basis for a $4.3 billion settlement with the Justice Department.

CEO Matthias Mueller said VW would support" without reservation" Larry Thompson, a former U.S. deputy attorney general, who has been picked by the Justice Department to oversee the company for three years. Thompson and his team will have access to VW documents and assess the efforts of its board of management and senior management to comply with environmental laws.

In total, VW has agreed to spend up to $25 billion in the U.S. to address claims from owners, environmental regulators, states and dealers and offered to buy back about 500,000 polluting vehicles in the market.
    LINK
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: VW fears heavy fines if it publishes emissions probe findings

They paid for a report that sympathetic to their side, or the report shows things were worse than what was agreed to?

I don't see a clear distinction in the article.

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 632 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carbide View Post
    They paid for a report that sympathetic to their side, or the report shows things were worse than what was agreed to?

I don't see a clear distinction in the article.
    I read it as the findings from the report would provide damning evidence against VW in the ongoing lawsuits. They are essentially pleading the fifth.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

5. The Following User Says Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

Al63240 (05-11-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    I read it as the findings from the report would provide damning evidence against VW in the ongoing lawsuits. They are essentially pleading the fifth.
    That is the way I'm taking it that it would cinch the noose up really tight just waiting for the can to get kicked out from underneath.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Al63240 (05-11-2017),richmond2000 (05-11-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

"lets kick that DIRT back under the rug shall we" (-;

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,756 Times in 4,675 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

So, where is the incinerator located, exactly? Faster than shredding, less dust.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Lawsuits, schmawsuits... I read it as someone wanting to stay out of jail!
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-11-2017)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information