So, is the Cadillac CT6 Plug-in Plush and Swanky or Bizarre Chevrolet Grade?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: So, is the Cadillac CT6 Plug-in Plush and Swanky or Bizarre Chevrolet Grade?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,571 Times in 667 Posts

Depends on perspective. Let's say you are coming from an S550e or another German über sedan, then you may be let down by the Cadillac. Take it away Motor Trend:

You get a lot of car for $76,000 compared to the Porsche Panamera 4 E-Hybrid, Mercedes-Benz S550e, and BMW 740e—but there are plenty of places where Cadillac misses the high bar the Germans have set (the 530e plug-in is also available for those who don’t mind a smaller back seat). The interior, for all its creature comforts, doesn’t have an interior design that’s as inspired as the Germans.

Not only is the design arguably too safe, but the material choice is frankly bizarre.

There’s an old rule one of my high school hockey coaches had: don’t ever eat anything with more than five ingredients on a game day because it’ll only slow you down.

The same basic rule can be applied to automotive interiors: pick three materials as your thematic elements, and stick to it. Anything else is overkill. Volvo is the master at this. The S90 features leather, wood, and a hint of aluminum. Cadillac unfortunately takes the shotgun approach with the CT6—on the dash alone there’s perforated leather, piano black trim, satin aluminum, carbon fiber, and a black walnut-looking wood. Less is more. The piano black and carbon fiber can go. A luxury flagship doesn’t need to look sporty even if it is.

Cadillac’s interior quality is all over the map, ranging from hard Chevrolet-grade plastics in spots where Cadillac doesn’t think you’ll notice (such as the door pockets) to varying grades of leather on less-trafficked touch points such as the dash tops to actually top-tier materials on the seats and steering wheel.

So, see, matter solved. The Cadillac's interior uses too diverse materials, is Chevrolet grade, and/or bizarre. It's also too safe. This is clearly obvious. Motor Trend said so.

But WAIT! Let's run some prices by you: Mercedes S550e starts at $96,600, the BMW 740e starts at $90,095, the Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid starts $99,600. What if you were coming from a car that started about the same price as the Cadillac CT6 Plug-in? Like say a Tesla?

Here's what Teslarati says:

The CT6 Plugin is a different take on the “electric car” and seeks to ease drivers into the plug-in vehicle experience, led largely by Cadillac’s mastery of luxury interior finishes. Burlwood accents in the dash stand in stark contrast to the two integrated LCD screens that land somewhere between a feature-packed leather recliner from the future and an iPad, while still being able to maintain balance. Though Tesla may own the electric luxury vehicle market today, the plushness of the CT6 reminds me (after having experienced the vehicle first-hand) that Tesla has some serious competition on the luxury front.

Having said that, the CT6 is no Tesla. This is not the much famed “Tesla killer” nor does it aim to be. The new Cadillac CT6 plug-in is a luxury ride that gives customers who want all the creature comforts of a Cadillac blended together with the latest and greatest high tech features like electric propulsion, lithium-ion batteries and intelligently designed LCD screens chock full of data.

Or for that matter this Bloomberg reviewer who compared the CT6 favorably to the Tesla. The article is subtitled: The New CT6 Hybrid pairs a little electricity with a lot of swank

Instead, I selected “sport” mode, nudged the gauge firmly into the gasoline zone and slalomed south on the Saw Mill River Parkway. The CT6, like all of Cadillac’s current sedans, is a joy to drive. The suspension and steering are firm and tight, respectively. For a big car, there’s little listlessness or body lean, and the heavy battery bolted on top of the rear axle planted the car as it pushed through turns.

The burled wood of the dash makes one feel as if they are piloting a vintage cello.

The 2-liter turbo engine is eager and athletic, occasionally drawing a further boost from the dual electric motors. With the regenerative system set to the most aggressive of four settings, I seldom touched the brake.

The interior trimmings, meanwhile, put Tesla to shame. The seats, in particular, are sublime in cinnamon. The burled wood of the dash makes one feel as if they are piloting a vintage cello. It’s all a notch below Porsche’s new Panamera cockpit, but still pure luxury in the country-clubbiest sense of the word.

Luxury is in the eye of the beholder and the beholder's check account. The Germans will always have their exquisite minimalism, and their higher price tags, and for some beholders those higher pricetags are a draw unto themselves. Tesla owners will always have their $150,000 straight line wonders, although most of them won't even have that. Most Tesla buyers might have to brag about their 250 mile all EV range, because they might feel they are missing something if they have to compare their Teslas to your Cadillac CT6 Plug-in on luxury, and when that happens they may feel silly if they mention their pricetag.
    Last edited by Robert1969; 05-24-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: So, is the Cadillac CT6 Plug-in Plush and Swanky or Bizarre Chevrolet Grade?

A double edged sword approach in this story. I like? how he both condemns Cadillac but yet praises them as well.

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 632 Posts

Re: So, is the Cadillac CT6 Plug-in Plush and Swanky or Bizarre Chevrolet Grade?

Different strokes for different folks. If you want a luxury car with some electrification, you buy one of the Germans. If you are okay with some compromises for a lower price tag, you get the CT6. And if you want a premium EV without the PH, you get a Tesla.

I hope the CT6 PHEV does well. Well enough to convince GM to build it in the US. Until then, I'll remain bothered by the fact that Cadillac's top-of-the-line sedan is made exclusively in China.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

5. The Following User Says Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

mgescuro (05-25-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 615 Posts

So Cadillac CT6 doesn't have as good interior as Mercedes..or Porsche..or even Volvo...nothing new here really.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to asrapid1 For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (05-24-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

My grandmother always said "it's good if you like it", she typically used it in reference to food, but it applies here.''

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by asrapid1 View Post
    So Cadillac CT6 doesn't have as good interior as Mercedes..or Porsche..or even Volvo...nothing new here really.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    My grandmother always said "it's good if you like it", she typically used it in reference to food, but it applies here.''
    it IS 20K more affordable AND still as good as the Tesla

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    it IS 20K more affordable AND still as good as the Tesla
    I love the CT6, my money would be there. Though with that said, I do think the interior is the weak point vs. the Germans in regards to style, but I also don't think it is bad either. And as you said, it is a lot cheaper! Cadillac needs to have an interior like the Escalad, that interior was awesome!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (05-24-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

As a CT6 owner, I think the truth is in between. The interior is better than Motortrend harps on it, but It's not perfect. No one buying a CT6 at the moment is thinking it to have a higher quality interior. They know that the interior quality/$ is much greater on the CT6 than on any of the Germans.

I think these to articles sum up the difference in car buyer's views. Bloomberg is the average car buyer's point of view. Motor-trend is the 5-10% of car buyers that really look that deeply at a car

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-24-2017),Al63240 (05-24-2017),BlackGTP (05-24-2017),Robert1969 (05-24-2017),ryannel2003 (05-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. If you want a luxury car with some electrification, you buy one of the Germans. If you are okay with some compromises for a lower price tag, you get the CT6. And if you want a premium EV without the PH, you get a Tesla.

I hope the CT6 PHEV does well. Well enough to convince GM to build it in the US. Until then, I'll remain bothered by the fact that Cadillac's top-of-the-line sedan is made exclusively in China.

Perhaps..... reacquainting ones self with the historical as well as current electrification efforts for bigger, more expensive Euro Product is in order ????

Trail of Tears would be ..... an understatement in net.

And quite frankly, doing the same for where they are also missing it big time with regard to the Conventional Brethren ????

Then again with a firm opportunity and product in hand .... GM builds it exclusively in China.....
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    As a CT6 owner, I think the truth is in between. The interior is better than Motortrend harps on it, but It's not perfect. No one buying a CT6 at the moment is thinking it to have a higher quality interior. They know that the interior quality/$ is much greater on the CT6 than on any of the Germans.

I think these to articles sum up the difference in car buyer's views. Bloomberg is the average car buyer's point of view. Motor-trend is the 5-10% of car buyers that really look that deeply at a car
    Which is usually the way it is that these automotive journalists are "in their own little world" so to speak.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information