An offer Finns can't refuse? Helsinki woos car owners to give up their autos.

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: An offer Finns can't refuse? Helsinki woos car owners to give up their autos.

  1. #1
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 jamiepeterson2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    La-la-land
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 231 Times in 135 Posts

    An offer Finns can't refuse? Helsinki woos car owners to give up their autos.

    For years, environmentalists and urban planners on both sides of the Atlantic have been fantasizing about few- or no-car city living, in order to make their municipalities easier and safer places to live, while also reducing their carbon footprint.

    The mayors of a number of cities, such as Paris, Athens, and Mexico City, have committed their governments to banning cars by 2025. Others, such as Oslo and London, have imposed partial moratoriums and fees on city driving. But such bans are difficult to enforce and politically contentious.

    In Helsinki, Finland, a city that prides itself on its civic-mindedness, municipal authorities are looking at the challenge of phasing out the car in a different way: as a matter of efficiency and incentivization.

    “It is a fact that on average, a privately owned car is used 4 percent of the time,” says Ville Lehmuskoski, chief executive officer of Helsinki City Transport, the municipal body responsible for the Finnish capital’s public transport infrastructure. “The other 96 percent – the 96 percent of the time when it is parked there sitting around – represents an enormous loss of resources, particularly money and space.


    More details at:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/offer-fin...152422583.html

    Is this the end of the automobile as we know it?
    No wonder auto executives are fretting about what to do.


  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    35,072
    Thanks
    9,453
    Thanked 7,753 Times in 4,673 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: An offer Finns can't refuse? Helsinki woos car owners to give up their autos.

    These people are going STRAIGHT TO HELL! Ever wonder why they call it HELLstinki, hummmm???
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

    "The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

    Hidden Content

  4. #3
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 jamiepeterson2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    La-la-land
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 231 Times in 135 Posts

    Re: An offer Finns can't refuse? Helsinki woos car owners to give up their autos.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    These people are going STRAIGHT TO HELL! Ever wonder why they call it HELLstinki, hummmm???
    LOL
    You made me laugh.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to jamiepeterson2 For This Useful Post:

    Neanderthal (06-25-2017)

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Southaven, Mississippi USA
    Posts
    2,981
    Thanks
    3,882
    Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,489 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

    Re: An offer Finns can't refuse? Helsinki woos car owners to give up their autos.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Ever wonder why they call it HELLstinki, hummmm???
    Third world immigration into Finland?
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

    Neanderthal (06-25-2017)

  9. #5
    GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    18,166
    Thanks
    1,134
    Thanked 934 Times in 640 Posts
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty
    The article reads to me like they tried one plan already and that got cancelled. The idea they are considering isn't that fantastic either. They're just putting all the transport resources on a single app. Hardly new thinking.

  10. #6
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC theamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: An offer Finns can't refuse? Helsinki woos car owners to give up their autos.

    You gotta love this they are trying to solve a problem by banning something that contributes to the problem 4% of the time. Why is it no one talks about banning pets. They produce CO2 100% of the time. If we euthanized all the pets in the world tomorrow what would be the effect on Global Warming, I mean the planet is going to burn up sacrifices have to be made.

    The other thing is who created the problem, government. Back before 1975 cars emitted CO, NOX, unburned hydrocarbons and sulfur dioxide. Government said the solution was the catalytic convertor the only thing coming out the tailpipe is CO2 and water vapor. Now all over the world cars are using the catalytic converter and now 40 years later the problem is too much CO2. Well we didn't have that problem before you mandated the catalytic converter.

    Is too much CO2 really a problem? Lets look at it. Do you realize that green houses pump in more CO2 so that the plants will grow faster, and bigger. So if the atmosphere has more CO2 won't that be better for farming and forests? What caused the "global warming" after that last ice age that caused glaciers to come as far south in the US as the Mason Dixon line? No SUVs and cars then. Somehow the planet heated up all by itself without man that caused the glaciers to retreat and they are still retreating.
    Bill Strobel
    aka theamcguy
    Owner Independent Towing & Repair
    Fayetteville, NC

    Do It Right or Don't Do It At All

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theamcguy For This Useful Post:

    gkr778 (06-26-2017),jamiepeterson2 (06-26-2017)

  12. #7
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    35,072
    Thanks
    9,453
    Thanked 7,753 Times in 4,673 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: An offer Finns can't refuse? Helsinki woos car owners to give up their autos.

    Quote Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post
    You gotta love this they are trying to solve a problem by banning something that contributes to the problem 4% of the time. Why is it no one talks about banning pets. They produce CO2 100% of the time. If we euthanized all the pets in the world tomorrow what would be the effect on Global Warming, I mean the planet is going to burn up sacrifices have to be made.

    The other thing is who created the problem, government. Back before 1975 cars emitted CO, NOX, unburned hydrocarbons and sulfur dioxide. Government said the solution was the catalytic convertor the only thing coming out the tailpipe is CO2 and water vapor. Now all over the world cars are using the catalytic converter and now 40 years later the problem is too much CO2. Well we didn't have that problem before you mandated the catalytic converter.

    Is too much CO2 really a problem? Lets look at it. Do you realize that green houses pump in more CO2 so that the plants will grow faster, and bigger. So if the atmosphere has more CO2 won't that be better for farming and forests? What caused the "global warming" after that last ice age that caused glaciers to come as far south in the US as the Mason Dixon line? No SUVs and cars then. Somehow the planet heated up all by itself without man that caused the glaciers to retreat and they are still retreating.
    A welcome dose of reality in an increasingly insane and brain-washed world, theamcguy! There was an excellent piece in The Old Farmer's Almanac or another of those almanacs, somewhere around 2008, giving chapter and verse regarding the relative plusses of global warming, should and if and when it occurs.

    As you note, CO2 makes plants grow faster bigger better. Far more people die every winter from cold-related issues than do in the summer from heat-related issues.

    A new northwest passage through the arctic as ice pack melts.

    More oil available as ice melts and drilling in northern climes is accessible.

    Total of about 15, I forget the rest.
    1. The warming hoax is a hoax based on redistributing power and wealth.
    2. REAL warming would be good, not a disaster.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

    "The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

    Hidden Content

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

    gkr778 (06-26-2017)

  14. #8
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 jamiepeterson2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    La-la-land
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 231 Times in 135 Posts

    Re: An offer Finns can't refuse? Helsinki woos car owners to give up their autos.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    The article reads to me like they tried one plan already and that got cancelled. The idea they are considering isn't that fantastic either. They're just putting all the transport resources on a single app. Hardly new thinking.
    What concerns me is that the governments of the world are looking for ways to curb global warming and looking for a pariah to instigate their so-called improvement agenda.

    Look how the VW diesel fiasco has turned off millions of prospective customers from purchasing any diesel automobiles in the future.

    Now they are seeking ways to implode the internal combustion engine.

    We are witnessing the gradual demise of Golden Age of the Automobile.
    Electric golf carts is what they have in store for us now.
    Furthermore they intend to implement a fully public (ie. government owned and operated) autonomous transportation system.
    Last edited by jamiepeterson2; 06-26-2017 at 11:34 AM.

  15. #9
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 jamiepeterson2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    La-la-land
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 231 Times in 135 Posts

    Re: An offer Finns can't refuse? Helsinki woos car owners to give up their autos.

    Here we go again!
    Gas and diesel cars are on the way out.

    Yesterday Volvo announced they will be fully electric by 2019.
    https://www.wired.com/story/volvos-electric-car-plan/

    Just in today:
    France wants to ditch gas, diesel-powered cars by 2040
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/06/tech...ectric-diesel/
    Last edited by jamiepeterson2; 07-07-2017 at 01:04 PM.

  16. #10
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    35,072
    Thanks
    9,453
    Thanked 7,753 Times in 4,673 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: An offer Finns can't refuse? Helsinki woos car owners to give up their autos.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamiepeterson2 View Post
    What concerns me is that the governments of the world are looking for ways to curb GLOBALONEY warming and looking for a pariah to instigate their so-called improvement agenda.

    Look how the VW diesel fiasco has turned off millions of prospective customers from purchasing any diesel automobiles in the future.

    Now they are seeking ways to implode the internal combustion engine.

    We are witnessing the gradual demise of Golden Age of the Automobile.
    Electric golf carts is what they have in store for us now.
    Furthermore they intend to implement a fully public (ie. government owned and operated) autonomous transportation system.
    To paraphrase Twain (Mark, not Shania), reports of ICE's death are greatly exaggerated. The car guys were talking about DEATH OF THE CAR in the 1970s when 400 c.i. Firebirds were choked off to 155 HP or something like that. Guess what, TECHNOLOGY HAPPENED! so the control freaks have come up with a new boogie man. Never mind that warm houses and warmed and cooled government offices contribute far more of the mythical CO2 boogieman than ICE ever have ever will.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamiepeterson2 View Post
    Here we go again!
    Gas and diesel cars are on the way out.

    Yesterday Volvo announced they will be fully electric by 2019.
    https://www.wired.com/story/volvos-electric-car-plan/

    Just in today:
    France wants to ditch gas, diesel-powered cars by 2040
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/06/tech...ectric-diesel/
    There's a thread here about Volvo, they will be going to 'lektrik or hybrid. ICE you will notice is still necessary to make the whole system work...

    As for France, at their current rate of decline and disintegration, they will be riding camels and goats in 2040. Nothing to worry about there, as long as one does not mind stepping back to 1820 and streets covered in animal dung and flies and general filth! That's known as PROGRESSive in some circles. Yes we can!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

    "The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

    Hidden Content

  17. #11
    emh
    emh is offline
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 emh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,650
    Thanks
    386
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 632 Posts

    Re: An offer Finns can't refuse? Helsinki woos car owners to give up their autos.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamiepeterson2 View Post
    “It is a fact that on average, a privately owned car is used 4 percent of the time,” says Ville Lehmuskoski, chief executive officer of Helsinki City Transport, the municipal body responsible for the Finnish capital’s public transport infrastructure. “The other 96 percent – the 96 percent of the time when it is parked there sitting around – represents an enormous loss of resources, particularly money and space.
    Pfft. Central Americans already solved this problem of not getting enough use out of their cars. These unimaginative Finns could learn a thing or two from them.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2