Lucid Motors Is Mulling Sale After Takeover Talks With Ford

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Lucid Motors Is Mulling Sale After Takeover Talks With Ford

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 hydrogen's Avatar
    Thanks

bloomberg.com
    7/18/207
    By Giles Turner, Keith Naughton, and Alex Barinka

Electric carmaker Lucid Motors Inc. is raising a new round of financing and is also considering an outright sale after holding early-stage takeover talks with Ford Motor Co., according to people familiar with the situation. The Menlo Park, California-based firm has hired Morgan Stanley to help raise more money to pay for further development of its vehicle and a new manufacturing plant in Arizona, the people said. They asked not to be identified talking about private company matters.

Lucid approached the senior management of Ford about a possible sale, the people added. Ford is not looking for a deal at this time, one of the people said, as new Chief Executive Officer Jim Hackett is in the midst of a 100-day review of the company’s plans and priorities. Founded in 2007, Lucid said it’s targeting 2019 to begin production of its all-electric luxury sedan, after earlier saying it would start in 2018. Staffed by many engineers from rival Tesla Inc., Lucid released a video in July showing its Air production model hitting speeds of 235 miles per hour. The vehicle will start at $60,000.

Lucid, which originally focused on making battery packs for electric buses in China, has raised more than $100 million from Asian investors, including Tsing Capital and Mitsui & Co. Silicon Valley venture capital firm Venrock is also a backer. Lucid is working on its fourth funding round, known as a Series D.

“We don’t have the money in place. That’s why we need to secure Series D,” Chief Technology Officer Peter Rawlinson said at the New York International Auto Show in April. “It would be irresponsible to start moving earth or start anything until we have a financial runway to execute that professionally and with absolute integrity.” The Arizona plant is expected to need $700 million in investment by 2022.

In an interview with Bloomberg News, Rawlinson said Lucid is "thrilled with the response from investors." He declined to comment on the scale of the fundraising, or the talks with Ford.

"We don’t comment on speculation," Karen Hampton, a Ford spokeswoman, said in an email. A representative for Morgan Stanley didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

In May, Ford’s board of directors ousted Mark Fields and installed Hackett, the former CEO of office furniture maker Steelcase Inc., who has ties to Silicon Valley and had most recently been running Ford’s foray into self-driving cars. The board was unhappy with the pace of change under Fields and the nearly 40 percent decline in the company’s share price on his watch. Ford is not ruling out a deal down the road, according to one of the people. The automaker has big plans to bring out plug-in cars and hybrids. It is spending $4.5 billion to electrify 40 percent of its lineup by 2020. Rival General Motors already has a long-range electric vehicle on the market. Ford also has promised to put autonomous cars on the road by 2021. They’re expected to be battery powered. In February, Ford said it was investing $1 billion in Argo AI, a startup run by former Google and Uber executives that is developing self-driving software.
    *Full Article at Link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 632 Posts

Re: Lucid Motors Is Mulling Sale After Takeover Talks With Ford

Interesting. I'm happy they are talking to Ford and not just Asian companies (which I'm sure they are exploring as well). Hopefully this doesn't end up like Fisker where the design and technology gets sold to a Chinese company for next to nothing.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,706 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Interesting. I'm happy they are talking to Ford and not just Asian companies (which I'm sure they are exploring as well). Hopefully this doesn't end up like Fisker where the design and technology gets sold to a Chinese company for next to nothing.
    This is already a Chinese backed company and the lead technology officer was Tesla's lead tech and I believe before that came from GM EV program.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

If Ford were do this, I'm not sure GM would buy Tesla

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    If Ford were do this, I'm not sure GM would buy Tesla
    I don't think anyone will buy Tesla with that massive, overpriced market cap of $40B+

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    This is already a Chinese backed company and the lead technology officer was Tesla's lead tech and I believe before that came from GM EV program.
    Lucid is backed by a bunch of different sources, including the venture capital arm of the Rockefeller family and Japan-based Mitsui Group. They are not exclusively Chinese-funded like, say, Faraday Future is.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

emh
    Thanks

I guess it's worth keeping in mind that Tesla supposedly had discussions with Ford early on when they seemed to have seriously considered using the Fusion platform for the Model S (I'm sure that would have involved a Ford investment in Tesla had it panned out). Obviously, those discussions didn't go anywhere.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,706 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    I guess it's worth keeping in mind that Tesla supposedly had discussions with Ford early on when they seemed to have seriously considered using the Fusion platform for the Model S (I'm sure that would have involved a Ford investment in Tesla had it panned out). Obviously, those discussions didn't go anywhere.
    There was also the initial investment Mercedes Benz made into Tesla, but now that they are already into solar panels, etc Mercedes bugged out.

Why would GM want a piece of Tesla? They have no reason to, there is no technology Tesla has GM does not have.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information