Is Lang Lang To Be The Engineering Center For GM Imports? - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Lang Lang To Be The Engineering Center For GM Imports?

Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

Re: Is Lang Lang To Be The Engineering Center For GM Imports?

If its for China its more than likely a sedan replacement for the Park Avenue.

That could result in a new Caprice/Statesman for Holden, and maybe even a new police cruiser for the US.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,409 Times in 3,323 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
    Large long wheelbase cars are still very popular in China, so I could see them doing an Omega Buick.
    If its for China its more than likely a sedan replacement for the Park Avenue.

That could result in a new Caprice/Statesman for Holden, and maybe even a new police cruiser for the US.

I suppose nothing is impossible, but that would be shocking.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

News Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 734 Posts

Large long wheelbase cars are still very popular in China, so I could see them doing an Omega Buick.
    Exactly where my mind's heading.

China already has Omega capability for CT6. Would it surprise anyone if a Buick for local consumption and Chevrolet/Holden for export were made on Omega, in China?

The irony would be incredible: It's built in China, but it's a PROPER American sedan.
    GMI News Editor

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Accardi View Post

China already has Omega capability for CT6. Would it surprise anyone if a Buick for local consumption and Chevrolet/Holden for export were made on Omega, in China?

The irony would be incredible: It's built in China, but it's a PROPER American sedan.
    Only problem there is if they wanted to sell a PPV, that's not going to happen with something made in China.

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 632 Posts

They also sell Buicks and Cadillacs in China.
    Then they should do the testing in China. Build up the expertise if it isn't there.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,409 Times in 3,323 Posts

Let's see what good 'ole Sean actually said before we jump to conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    “Our powertrain calibrators are obviously very expert at rear-wheel-drive applications, so they do a lot of that work for GM,”
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    “It’s why you’ll see a lot of Buicks and Cadillacs on our roads as our guys do lots of calibration work.”
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

News Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 734 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Then they should do the testing in China. Build up the expertise if it isn't there.
    AFAIK, SAIC does have a proving grounds. GM built it just before bankruptcy.
    GMI News Editor

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,532 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

I think you guys are reading too much into a throw away comment

Holden have worked on Buick and Cadillac vehicles at Lang Lang recently doing emissions work

Thats it
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

Z284ever (05-04-2017)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 RedHotMike's Avatar
    Thanks

I suspect if somebody came knocking on the GM property management group's door with a 1/2 way realistic offer, Lang Lang would be gone in a heartbeat.

In the mean time it will be kept ticking over with minimal investment to keep it viable and adequately maintained as if it's left, nature will take it back within 5 years beyond economic repair.

Sadly for GM, unlike Fishermans bend which is gold plated, Rolls Royce prime real estate, Lang Lang is rural land with virtually zero value and unlikely to be developed any time in the next 50 years or more.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RedHotMike For This Useful Post:

VS Ute 5Litre (05-06-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    I know, but that's going to be a distant memory by the time Lang Lang is restaffed. I think that's what Sean Poppitt is referring to, rather than any new Buick RWD programs.
    I'm an optimist. I say you're backwards. It's most likely his speaking in a present and future context about present and future vehicles implies present and future programs.

“Our powertrain calibrators are obviously very expert at rear-wheel-drive applications, so they do a lot of that work for GM,” he said. “It’s why you’ll see a lot of Buicks and Cadillacs on our roads as our guys do lots of calibration work.”
    our calibrators ARE very expert

you WILL see product

as our guys DO work

People can only lie so well. Referring to the past, he would have referenced it contextually.

Because the last was so successful, or because the CT6 is selling so well there that in-house competition wouldn't hurt?

CT6 was selling, last I checked, about 3:2 US:China which I can almost guarantee was not the plan.

My guess is there's a reason there's no CT8, and it starts and ends with limited Chinese preference for sedans.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

Carbide (05-07-2017)

Thanks

Yes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    I'm an optimist. I say you're backwards. It's most likely his speaking in a present and future context about present and future vehicles implies present and future programs.

our calibrators ARE very expert

you WILL see product

as our guys DO work

People can only lie so well. Referring to the past, he would have referenced it contextually.

Because the last was so successful, or because the CT6 is selling so well there that in-house competition wouldn't hurt?

CT6 was selling, last I checked, about 3:2 US:China which I can almost guarantee was not the plan.

My guess is there's a reason there's no CT8, and it starts and ends with limited Chinese preference for sedans.
    That is my take as well, except I'm more of a pragmatist, than an optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post

Yeah, it now seems that N.A. demand has a greatly reduced role in Product Design and Development, but I think that with Escala as a new Role Model, they are working on something with the New Design cues, and developed to suit both markets, where CT8 was conceived as a bigger CT6 N.A. model that could have been sold there.

All of a sudden, it seems there are 2 major markets, and a balance in design for suiting both is de rigor now.

Does the Escala schtick have it's own Mantra yet, as 'Arts and Science' was?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carbide View Post
    That is my take as well, except I'm more of a pragmatist, than an optimist.

Yeah, it now seems that N.A. demand has a greatly reduced role in Product Design and Development, but I think that with Escala as a new Role Model, they are working on something with the New Design cues, and developed to suit both markets, where CT8 was conceived as a bigger CT6 N.A. model that could have been sold there.

All of a sudden, it seems there are 2 major markets, and a balance in design for suiting both is de rigor now.

Does the Escala schtick have it's own Mantra yet, as 'Arts and Science' was?
    It's literally just an evolution of A&S, so that's probably its name, but I'm sure it won't be called anything.

From what I hear, Escala will for the most part remain a concept besides the face. Future bodywork will be more linear, basically generically sculpted. Blah. It'll be different than what we have now, but it won't be straight off Escala.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information