Jaguar XE SV Project 8

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar XE SV Project 8

Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 615 Posts

Jaguar XE SV Project 8

Jaguar XE SV Project 8 takes to Goodwood hillclimb
    Autocar
    by James Attwood
    1 July 2017

The new Jaguar XE SV Project 8 will run at this week's Goodwood Festival of Speed as “the most track-focused, road-going, uncompromised performance car that Jaguar has ever made” - according to Jaguar Land Rover Special Operations boss John Edwards.

The £149,995 Project 8 is a heavily modified, track-biased reworking of the XE saloon that has been designed to reach 200mph. It is the second ‘Collector’s Edition’ model produced by JLR’s Special Vehicle Operations division and the first to be built entirely at the SVO division’s Technical Centre near Coventry.
    The Project 8 is powered by a highly tuned version of JLR’s 5.0-litre supercharged V8 petrol engine. Development work on the supercharger has boosted the engine’s output to 592bhp, allowing an estimated 0-60mph time of 3.3sec. That power is delivered through Jaguar’s four-wheel drive system and a recalibrated version of the firm’s eight-speed Quickshift gearbox, which has been refined to reduce the shift time to 200 milliseconds using a ‘pistolshift’ lever.
    The car’s exterior was honed through wind tunnel testing and computational fluid dynamics simulations. Jaguar says it has achieved a 205% reduction in lift in Track mode, with the car producing more than 122kg of downforce at 186mph.

Edwards said the emphasis on aerodynamic performance meant that “form follows function” where the bodywork is concerned. The exterior design was headed by Wayne Burgess, Jaguar’s production studio director, who said he took inspiration from Group B Lancia Delta Integrale rally cars. “It was a homologation special that linked a really powerful engine with all-wheeldrive transmission in a compact saloon body,” he said. “Project 8, for me, is that concept taken to its logical extreme.”
    More at link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to asrapid1 For This Useful Post:

SKH (07-02-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,706 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: Jaguar XE SV Project 8

AWD, that seems to be where the Europeans are going to deal with power. So far the Americans have kept it RWD, from Chrysler, Ford and GM, all their performance beasts are still RWD

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,820 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

This car is all kinds of awesome. Expensive yes, but worth every penny.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

The perforations in the grille and front end clip reference Jaguar badges from way back. Nice touch.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzAwWDg3NQ==/z/cjkAAOSwiuZTzueP/$_35.JPG

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (07-01-2017)

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Thanks
    My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    This car is all kinds of awesome. Expensive yes, but worth every penny.

Are they going to be on sale?

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Are they going to be on sale?
    Only 300. All are essentially hand built. Jaguar are denying that a more prosaic XE V8 is in the works but I think they're just being coy. The money it cost to develop and manufacture this car means (IMO) there's little, if any profit. This is more about image building and SVO hanging their shingle out there to demonstrate the depth of their capabilities. I'm sure lessons learned with this car will show up in future hot rod XE's. Clearly shoehorning a V8 in to the engine bay of the XE isn't an issue. Now they need to bring a more sedate, and less extreme 'regular production' 500hp version to market.
    Cadillac needs to pay attention here. A similar limited production EXTREME ATS' could do wonders for its street cred.

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

I'm hoping that when the Ingenium 3.0L straight 6 arrives, that SVO develops a hand built V12 out of them (if that's possible) for an UBER expensive Range Rover to go after the Bentayga. If they sold 500-1000 a year for 5 years I'm sure they could make a business case for it and justify the development/Production costs.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Freakin' Awesome Man!!

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

For the CTS V-Series swan song Cadillac needs to throw down the gauntlet (especially to Dodge) and stuff what ever motor the Corvette ZR1 is getting into it. JDN do it. The positive column inches and goodwill it would generate is incalculable.

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

The perforations in the grille and front end clip reference Jaguar badges from way back. Nice touch.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzAwWDg3NQ==/z/cjkAAOSwiuZTzueP/$_35.JPG
    Actually it looks like it's just in the bumper area. Still a nice touch though.
    Last edited by SKH; 07-01-2017 at 09:47 PM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

For the CTS V-Series swan song Cadillac needs to throw down the gauntlet (especially to Dodge) and stuff what ever motor the Corvette ZR1 is getting into it. JDN do it. The positive column inches and goodwill it would generate is incalculable.
    Except this Jag isnt fighting the CTSV. Alfa Romoeo's Giulia Q is the car to beat right now. The fact that there is more potential in the AR. they could easily dish out a Giulia GTV to counter this and price it Alot less than this $200k Jaguar.

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 69gtsdart View Post
    Except this Jag isnt fighting the CTSV. Alfa Romoeo's Giulia Q is the car to beat right now. The fact that there is more potential in the AR. they could easily dish out a Giulia GTV to counter this and price it Alot less than this $200k Jaguar.
    This is completely different to the Alpha. How about JLR could easily do a competitor for the Alpha at a similar price point and In the near future they just might do that. If Alfa did what Jaguar have done here with the XE SV I'm guessing it would cost just as much. This is one of 300 and handbuilt. Jaguar will sell everyone and deservedly so. Btw The Alfa is a great car, but exactly how does the Alfa have more potential than the XE range?

Oh and just to correct you, I never said the Jag was competing with the CTS-V Series. I was just positing how Cadillac could give the CTS-V Series a great send off with a limited production ZR1 engine version, for image/brand building purposes. You know, like Jaguar is doing here.

If you read my earlier post you'll also see that I said Cadillac should take note and build an EXTREME ATS also for image/brand purposes, and perhaps they could even make some money on it.
    Last edited by SKH; 07-02-2017 at 12:47 AM.

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

This is a compilation of various videos. This car is phenomenal, and so is the design/Engineering work that went in to creating it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e5v_DQjPPMI

Thanks
    My Ride

The CTS V is totally not in any of these cars classes. Its an ultra fast daily cruiser with track capability.. It really is on top of its class right now. No body has anything like it. The amazing thing is how well it wears its massive power without AWD, and its effortless track capabilities without overheating..
    Dodge is not really in the Jaguar Cadillac class either.

Personally I would rather see Cadillac invest its money in a V8, a V12 and adapt the Voltec Bolt technology to its Escalade and Sedan line up, plus spend more money on interior materials especially switch gear and leather below the instrument panel and headliners

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information