GM misses some sustainability goals, rewrites targets

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GM misses some sustainability goals, rewrites targets

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 742 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

GM misses some sustainability goals, rewrites targets

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...als/103331390/

General Motors Co. says it will create new, sustainable product commitments after achieving mixed results on five goals set year ago related to reducing carbon-dioxide tailpipe emissions and rolling out more electrified vehicles and fuel-efficient cars.

The automaker, in its 2016 Sustainability Report released in June, said while it met a goal to double the number of vehicles with 40 miles per gallon or more highway fuel economy by this year, it expects to fall well short of having a half-million electrified vehicles on the road in 2017. The company blames low gas prices, poor consumer acceptance and more competition for missing the mark.

“We are now focused on establishing a new set of product commitments that tie performance more closely to our internal capabilities rather than market forces beyond our control,” GM said in the report.

The automaker declined comment on those changes and when they would roll out.

In fall 2012, GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra announced a target of 500,000 vehicles that would be powered in some way by electricity including plug-ins, pure electrics and hybrids. Barra then led GM’s global product development organization.

GM reported it had 243,133 electrified vehicles on U.S. roads last year, up more than 23 percent from 197,065 in 2015; 177,756 in 2014; and 150,623 in 2013.

The automaker late last year launched the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV, a pure-electric with an estimated 238 miles of range that starts at less than $30,000 after factoring in up to a $7,500 federal income tax credit.

Also in 2012, GM pledged by 2017 it would double its U.S. vehicle offerings at 40 mpg or better highway fuel economy. The company had 11 vehicles that met the criteria last year, up from nine in 2015, six in 2014, five in 2013 and two in 2011.

GM also said it wanted by 2016 to cut carbon dioxide emissions by 15 percent in the U.S. from those produced in 2011 vehicles.

The company said low fuel prices weakened consumer interest in lower-emission vehicles and limited its progress.

GM says it continues to make year-over-year progress on cutting its Opel/Vauxhall carbon dioxide emissions in Europe and China, but the company is selling those operations to French automaker PSA Group.

Expecting that gasoline engines will dominate the market for some time, GM said it is slimming down engines, adding turbochargers, stop-start technology and other techniques to boost output and fuel efficiency

It plans to have 86 percent of its vehicle sales volume equipped with stop-start technology by 2021, up from 16 percent in 2016. It also says 51 percent of its vehicle volume will have downsized turbo engines by 2021, up from 22 percent in 2016. And GM predicts 77 percent of its vehicle volume will have advanced, higher speed automatic transmissions by 2021, up from just 1 percent in 2016.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Re: GM misses some sustainability goals, rewrites targets

GM says it continues to make year-over-year progress on cutting its Opel/Vauxhall carbon dioxide emissions in Europe and China, but the company is selling those operations to French automaker PSA Group.
    Isn't that like saying the "Corvair" will receive a 5 Star Safety Rating?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to InCogKneeToe For This Useful Post:

377Z (07-05-2017)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

It plans to have 86 percent of its vehicle sales volume equipped with stop-start technology by 2021, up from 16 percent in 2016. It also says 51 percent of its vehicle volume will have downsized turbo engines by 2021, up from 22 percent in 2016. And GM predicts 77 percent of its vehicle volume will have advanced, higher speed automatic transmissions by 2021, up from just 1 percent in 2016.
    Am I reading that as "No interest in changing Pushrod V8, but everything else will be OHC Turbo Charged 4 Bangers?

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 542 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    Isn't that like saying the "Corvair" will receive a 5 Star Safety Rating?
    They made incredible progress there, they cut Opel emissions to zero!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    Am I reading that as "No interest in changing Pushrod V8, but everything else will be OHC Turbo Charged 4 Bangers?
    I read it as 'things will change very fastly for most consumers, but if you have the money, you can get 700hp and a **** load of tranny gears'.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Hmmm..... Lots of gears, turbo fours and stop-start up the gazoo. It is good though to see the marked increase in electric vehicle sales.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

Start stop is a waste, where is that Voltek tech in more vehicles. Where is the Voltek crossover. I'm waiting.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TORRED1 For This Useful Post:

377Z (07-05-2017)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

is there anyone who drives a vehicle with stop start that doesnt hate it?? i got a vehicle with it 8 months ago and figured id give it a fair chance. over the winter it hardly worked but as it got warmer out it didnt take me long to hate it. havnt met or talked to a person that likes it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,303 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Quote Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
    is there anyone who drives a vehicle with stop start that doesnt hate it?? i got a vehicle with it 8 months ago and figured id give it a fair chance. over the winter it hardly worked but as it got warmer out it didnt take me long to hate it. havnt met or talked to a person that likes it.
    That is why it needs an on and off button. Most everyone else is able to offer one in their vehicles. Why does GM punish everyone who doesn't buy a high end Cadillac with being forced to keep it, and no way to turn it off??
    The resident "girl"

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze TD , 88 Fiero GT

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    That is why it needs an on and off button. Most everyone else is able to offer one in their vehicles. Why does GM punish everyone who doesn't buy a high end Cadillac with being forced to keep it, and no way to turn it off??
    One word....CAFE.

Ken

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kmacleod For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (07-06-2017)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

mine is on a 17 grand cherokee trailhawk and has a button but you have to push it after every start. it teaches you to drive differently. never completely stop. pull in driveway car shuts off. put in park car restarts. shut off car. i do like most off the newer features but this makes no sense nor has any advantages for the customer.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information