GM to lay off 800 workers at Detroit-Hamtramck

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM to lay off 800 workers at Detroit-Hamtramck

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    4.3L Vortec

GM to lay off 800 workers at Detroit-Hamtramck

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bongos2u For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (12-04-2019),mbukukanyau (12-04-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Re: GM to lay off 800 workers at Detroit-Hamtramck

Not necessarily. Remember the LaCrosse and Impala are dead and you dont need a whole lot of people to build such a low volume car.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

If it's not dead where they going to build it?

Plant will be totally gutted to switch over to such a different platform.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,392 Times in 2,496 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

They just cant catch a break at DHam.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

Easy fix Flip Impala and Lacrosse to RWD on the Omega platform add 3 Omega CUVS for each brand as well.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PHAT-JAY For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (12-04-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,684 Times in 4,146 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    They just cant catch a break at DHam.
    Karma.

When General Motors announced today that it planned to cut up to 14,000 jobs and might close five U.S. plants, the scope of the restructuring plan caught practically everyone by surprise. It also reopened a particularly sore wound in Detroit, which actually helped destroy parts of the city in the 1980s to make way for one of the factories GM now says faces possible closure.

Here's Everything GM Is Closing Down As It 'Invests In The Future' And Cuts up to 14,000...
    General Motors confirmed news of a major restructuring underway Monday, announcing that five North…

The Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant, as it’s officially known by GM, has a history fraught with controversy, including an extremely contested move by local officials to use the government’s eminent domain power to seize 1,300 homes, stores, churches, and hospitals across 465 acres, and then raze them for the automaker’s project.

At the time, then-mayor Coleman Young justified the measure as a way for a struggling city to gain a significant number of jobs, after GM threatened to close two Detroit factories.

Put in another light, GM advantageously leveraged the struggles of Detroit—as well as Hamtramck, a hamlet surrounded by Detroit—to score a sweetheart deal for a new factory.

What kind of deal? Here’s how The New York Times summed it up in 1981:

The company expects to receive as much as $440 million in public subsidies from Federal, state and local governments. This money will be in the form of land-purchase and site-preparation assistance and tax abatements. The Detroit-Hamtramck project alone could mean spending as much as $320 million in public funds, including $200 million in site assistance and at least $120 million in tax abatements.

Not bad, and particularly noteworthy given that GM’s then-chairman derided Chrysler only two years prior for leaning on the public dole, saying it’s “a basic challenge to the philosophy of America.”

But the project raised a fundamental question over how a government can utilize its power of eminent domain, and stirred up a national controversy that attracted the likes of everyone from Ralph Nader to the Gray Panthers.

‘Jeopardized’ Security of All Private Property Ownership
    Naturally, with that many jobs on the table, many residents supported the project, but the decision by Detroit’s city council to seize property for a private entity led to a major lawsuit filed by a neighborhood association and several residents from the affected area—known locally as Poletown—who argued the deal was illegal. The case ultimately made its way to the Michigan Supreme Court, which in 1981 backed the project in a 5-2 decision.

The court held that it served a public purpose for Detroit to seize private property and give it to another private owner for the project. And so the destruction began.

By 1982, residents expressed resentment about the endeavor, according to The Detroit News:

Bitter residents told a News reporter they were not reconciled to their move. Ann Locklear said she had “lost my faith in the Church, the city and General Motors.

Walter Jakubowski said: “They destroyed our roots, our home, everything.

Louise Crosby’s husband George became depressed after the couple moved to the Van Dyke- Seven Mile area. “He kept saying, ‘I want to go home, I want to go home.’” One winter day he left the house and was found three hours later wandering in the bitter cold. He ended up in a nursing home.

A study conducted later by a University of Michigan researcher found that nearly four out of every 10 residents who were paid to move out of Poletown for the project said their relocation payments didn’t cover the cost of their new home, the News reported.

But impact of relocating such a massive swath of the city for a private development was obvious, something captured acutely by Judge James Leo Ryan, one of the two dissenting members of the State Supreme Court that opposed the eminent domain measure.

In his dissent, in which he said the case “jeopardized the security of all private property ownership,” Ryan wrote that the sharp change in legal thinking “can be explained by the overwhelming sense of inevitability that has attended this litigation from the beginning; a sense attributable to the combination and coincidence of the interests of a desperate city administration and a giant corporation willing and able to take advantage of the opportunity that presented itself.”

“The justification for it, like the inevitability of it, has been made to seem more acceptable by the “team spirit” chorus of approval of the project which has been supplied by the voices of labor, business, industry, government, finance, and even the news media,” Ryan wrote.

“Virtually the only discordant sounds of dissent have come from the minuscule minority of citizens most profoundly affected by this case, the Poletown residents whose neighborhood has been destroyed.

And so a city facing a massive loss of its population to the suburbs accelerated that trend by displacing thousands of poor residents from an ethnically diverse neighborhood as a way to, in theory, achieve once again some semblance of economic prosperity.

The Neighborhoods writer and Jalopnik alum Aaron Foley summed up the impact in a story published Monday afternoon:

The plant opened in 1981, and the remaining Poles in the neighborhood instead followed their displaced neighbors into the suburbs (and stayed there), further depleting the neighborhood. The Chene Street corridor wilted. Church congregations were split up. An ethnic enclave was lost.

What’s worse is that GM’s promises were never borne out.

A Fraction of the Promised Jobs
    The pitch at the time called for something like 6,000 jobs for the area. Today, about 1,500 people work at the site.

And the promise of spin-off development to make up for what was lost—similar to recent talking points issued by Ford to justify tax breaks for a redevelopment project just west of the city’s downtown—never came to fruition.

“It turned out,” Ryan told Jalopnik on Monday, “they didn’t employ as many people after all because they put robots in, and all kinds of businesses didn’t go up.”

https://jalopnik.com/a-part-of-detro...oul-1830666242
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 12-04-2019 at 09:28 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I thought DHam was saved in the last contract signed? I guess they meant the plant not the people.
    Maybe GM will pay them until the plant get's retro fitted.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

I assume there's no way to build the CT6 (omega) on the same line as CT4/CT5 (alpha)?
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    If it's not dead where they going to build it?

Plant will be totally gutted to switch over to such a different platform.
    I think LGR can handle it.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

And GM wonders why FCA got a better deal from the UAW...... *looks around*

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 69gtsdart For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (12-04-2019),Stéphane Dumas (12-04-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    I thought DHam was saved in the last contract signed? I guess they meant the plant not the people.
    I read another article which stated all employees will be placed in other jobs with GM.

The headline for the article is somewhat misleading, as GM is ending their employment at one plant, but providing transfers / jobs at other locations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bongos2u View Post
    The CT-6 has achieved life/death in the Quantum realm where it is both alive and dead at the same time.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,203 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    read to article
    The UAW workers affected, about 753, will remain employed and be offered buyouts or jobs at other GM facilities, said GM spokesman Dan Flores.

"As previously announced, production of the Chevrolet Impala and Cadillac CT6 at Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly will be complete in early 2020," said Flores. "We have job opportunities for all D-Ham team members covered by the UAW-GM National Agreement. We expect to have opportunities in Michigan and Ohio."
    so offered OTHER jobs at area plants

About 31 hourly and three salaried workers will be laid off effective March 20, with two hourly employees to be laid off March 27 and another two hourly workers laid off April 3, the WARN letter stated.
    these ar3e the ones being LET GO

In the new four-year contract with the UAW, GM said Detroit-Hamtramck would remain open to produce an electric pickup and a "van," which people familiar with the plans said is a generic term for a variety of body styles including SUVs. The company pledged to invest $3 billion in the plant and said it will eventually employ 2,225 people
    +

sounds like a "little pain for big gain" for the Union

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 859 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 69gtsdart View Post
    And to think then FCA had once proposed to GM to buy the DHam plant and GM had said no.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,093 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 69gtsdart View Post
    Probably something to do with bribery and corruption, at least that's what the current charges show...

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information