Cadillac's Escala, featured in ad, draws showroom traffic. But it's not for sale.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac's Escala, featured in ad, draws showroom traffic. But it's not for sale.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 615 Posts

Cadillac's Escala, featured in ad, draws showroom traffic. But it's not for sale.

Can a concept car help move metal?
    Automotive news
    June 10, 2017
    Vince Bond Jr.

DETROIT — Cadillac's TV ad campaign this year featuring the sweeping Escala concept was meant to be a forward-looking exercise that relayed the brand's design aspirations to the world.

But some consumers who saw the commercials, which debuted during the Oscars in February, didn't quite grasp the "forward-looking" part. They've been heading to Cadillac showrooms to inquire about the car, only to find out that it's not for sale, and never will be.

That's a risk Cadillac was willing to take as it tries to rebuild the luxury brand's cachet around a new design language that's less square and more captivating.

Uwe Ellinghaus, the brand's chief marketing officer, says Cadillac is serious about blending the Escala's design cues into its future lineup, so there's nothing wrong with pitching it to TV audiences as a creative springboard.

"Had it been just another concept vehicle which is glorious, but not with a serious intent to produce something similar in the future, I wouldn't have done it," Ellinghaus told Automotive News.​
    Ellinghaus said he was pleased to see that viewers have been searching for the Escala online, even though its name only flashed briefly in the ad.

"This was fully sufficient to create a lot of search traffic for the name 'Escala' in Google and other search engines," he said. "It's all the more amazing that Escala is not an easy word to remember."
    Ad industry veteran Jim Sanfilippo, who led ad agencies for Hyundai and Ford, says he's a fan of the Escala spot, but he isn't sure that Cadillac's take on it is a sign of strength.

"If you're having to borrow interest from your own concept cars to attract folks to your showroom to buy a vehicle that doesn't exist," he said, "I think it's a pretty weak place to stand.

"I think the standards that Cadillac aspires to are a bit higher than that, or should be."

So what should Cadillac do? Easy, says Sanfilippo: Build the Escala.
    More at link

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 06-12-2017 at 10:27 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to asrapid1 For This Useful Post:

dslay04 (06-12-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Cadillac's Escala, featured in ad, draws showroom traffic. But it's not for sale.

Cadillac further aged it's cars by showing the escala. If I visited a showroom looking for the escala and could only see and purchase the aged and boring cts and ats, I'd be thoroughly teed off. Good job Cadillac :|

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to samesun For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (06-13-2017),Neanderthal (06-12-2017),SP1966 (06-12-2017),XP300 (06-13-2017)

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,148 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Re: Cadillac's Escala, featured in ad, draws showroom traffic. But it's not for sale.

I've been catching up on The Americans, and I first saw the commercial a few weeks ago.

I can't remember ever seeing a concept car advertised like this - as if it was a production car.

I can see what they're going for, but for the general public, it can be (an apparently) really confusing.

Does this show that with a really good design, the and customers will come. Even in a soft market segment.
    *Buick Avista

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 623 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

It's the ultimate Bait and Switch!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ambalanche For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-12-2017),SP1966 (06-12-2017)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    I've been catching up on The Americans, and I first saw the commercial a few weeks ago.

I can't remember ever seeing a concept car advertised like this - as if it was a production car.

I can see what they're going for, but for the general public, it can be (an apparently) really confusing.

Does this show that with a really good design, the and customers will come. Even in a soft market segment.
    *Buick Avista
    Isn't that kind of like the Entourage movie where they were driving a Ciel? Could be wrong never saw the movie but always remembered them showing the Ciel in the trailer I guess as a replacement to the 60s Continental in the intro of the TV show.
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 542 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
    Isn't that kind of like the Entourage movie where they were driving a Ciel? Could be wrong never saw the movie but always remembered them showing the Ciel in the trailer I guess as a replacement to the 60s Continental in the intro of the TV show.
    It's common for concept cars to be featured in movies or tv, though. It's not as common for a concept to be the main feature of a commercial, though.

Thanks

From what I've learned of the projected roll outs of new models, I can be in a coma for 3 years, and not miss what I am most interested in seeing.

Focus Group that.

I remember when they actually built the Halo cars first, and then pushed the rest of the line.

It seems they won't even start the process for a year.
    Last edited by Carbide; 06-12-2017 at 03:53 PM.

09W
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmc523 View Post
    It's not as common for a concept to be the main feature of a commercial, though.
    Not common, but not unprecedented :

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A4o_/2017-me...ass-the-future

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 542 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by 09W View Post
    Not common, but not unprecedented :

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A4o_/2017-me...ass-the-future
    Yes, it happens sometimes, as I said. But at the same time, I think the average consumer watching that ad on TV knows that that Mercedes is a concept and not something they run to a showroom and buy now, since there were so many futuristic looking aspects to it (multiple screens all over, different seating arrangements, projected crosswalk, etc.), whereas in the Cadillac ad (and in person), the Escala looks as if it could be production ready to someone that doesn't know.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

Toto (06-13-2017)

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,409 Times in 3,323 Posts

It was dumb to make a concept a lot of people like, then feature it in commercials, with a lady driving it on a New York street as if it were her daily, get people interested in it, and then............................nothing.

WTF!
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-12-2017),Cphelps (06-13-2017),EJD1984 (06-12-2017),Neanderthal (06-12-2017),Toto (06-13-2017),XP300 (06-13-2017)

Thanks

Add me to the list of those who simply doesn't like this advertising strategy...

"HEY, LOOK AT THIS AMAZING concept CAR WE'VE BUILT!!!"

I think it would've been fine to do this IF the cars that are to be "inspired" by the Escala were on the verge of being launched... But obviously they're not... And I'm one who actually loves both the current CTS and CT6...

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quixote88 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-12-2017),Carbide (06-13-2017),Neanderthal (06-12-2017)

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,820 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

I think Cadillac would be smart to make the next CTS a scaled down Escala (complete with hatch)on perhaps a 117-118" wheelbase. I'm not sure if the XT4 which is the next all new Cadillac, will have an ESCALA inspired front, but it's VERY likely. I'd also be very surprised if the CT5 isn't a 9/10ths ESCALA, but perhaps sans hatch.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

samesun (06-12-2017)

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,820 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    Add me to the list of those who simply doesn't like this advertising strategy...

"HEY, LOOK AT THIS AMAZING concept CAR WE'VE BUILT!!!"

I think it would've been fine to do this IF the cars that are to be "inspired" by the Escala were on the verge of being launched... But obviously they're not... And I'm one who actually loves both the current CTS and CT6...
    Obviously you're wrong. I'm guessing no more than 18 months for one of them, and I also fully expect the XT4 next summer to be the first with ESCALA inspired design themes. I'd also be flabbergasted if the ATS/CTS replacements are not heavily inspired by the ESCALA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    Obviously you're wrong. I'm guessing no more than 18 months for one of them, and I also fully expect the XT4 next summer to be the first with ESCALA inspired design themes. I'd also be flabbergasted if the ATS/CTS replacements are not heavily inspired by the ESCALA.
    I'm "obviously" wrong because you're "guessing" on a timetable? Ok, that makes sense... 18 months from now, no one is going to remember an ad from Cadillac... Even if it's just 12 months from now, that's too far off to make ads featuring the concept that inspires every next gen model... Something "on the verge of being launched" would be this summer, not summer 2018. The point of showing the concept is to whet the appetite of potential customers. If the spot is generating interest, that is potential customers are actually coming into Cadillac dealerships to see the Escala (or something "inspired" by it), then you should have something to show them, even if it's a brochure of a vehicle that can be ordered for arrival in a couple months...

At this point, all dealerships can do is disappoint those who made the trip to see something similar to what they've seen on an advertisement. Even those of us who spend time on GM-centered car sites don't have a concrete idea of how much the first Escala inspired vehicles will resemble the concept... And I can tell you that the dealers don't know either.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Quixote88 For This Useful Post:

Cphelps (06-13-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

If Cadillac had a car like this it would be flying off the lots regardless of how hot the SUV/CUV market trend is.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

EJD1984 (06-13-2017)

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information