Cadillac Super Cruise First Drive: Trusting the machine

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Super Cruise First Drive: Trusting the machine

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 632 Posts

Chris Davies

It was, conservatively, 90 seconds before I was satisfied Cadillac’s Super Cruise semi-autonomous driving system wasn’t going to kill me. By that point, a combination of cameras, super-accurate maps, and a fancier-than-usual GPS system were keeping me dead-center at 65 mph on California’s 280, headed north toward San Francisco. As the CT6 eased its way around the corners, I spent a few moments considering that the car of the future apparently communicates not with the voice of Mr Feeny from Boy Meets World, but with a glowing green steering wheel instead.
    Technology like Super Cruise “resuscitates our reputation, our heritage for innovation,” de Nysschen argues. “I think that it’s going to capture peoples’ imagination. I think for many people, for whom Cadillac isn’t at the center of their radar screen, I think it’s going to open their mind as to what this brand is capable of.”
    If there’s a system Super Cruise is reminiscent of – and will inevitably be compared to – it’s Tesla’s Autopilot. The two aren’t exact equals: Autopilot will change lanes for you with the tap of a stalk, and can be activated outside of just highways. Cadillac, meanwhile, brings its LIDAR maps to the party, unlike Tesla which uses a combination of regular mapping and onboard sensors.
    More here.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-30-2017),Dheart (07-05-2017),rand49er (07-01-2017),samesun (06-30-2017),SRFCTY (07-01-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,706 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: Cadillac Super Cruise First Drive: Trusting the machine

Cadillac could team up with OnStar and draw a comprehensive map. OnStar can certainly use updated maps.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Great that we're finally seeing media test on this. Looks pretty impressive on video. I'm hoping they expand it to at least undivided highways next year or the year after that. That would probably expand it enough that you could do 80 to 90 percent of the driving cross country handsfree. Hopefully they're able to add it to the XT5 and Escalade soon too. So whats everyone guess for the price of this thing? I'm gonna go high and say 7 or 8 grand. Plus I'm gonna guess you're only going to be able to get it on platinum models. So factoring that in, right now the CT6 tops out at around 91/92k, this will probably be the thing to finally push it over the 100k mark if you go fully loaded.

Is the now the only car Cadillac has that tops six figures or am I forgetting something?
    Last edited by Link2877; 06-30-2017 at 08:18 AM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,706 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion
    I think Cadillac would be wise to electrify the Escalade with Voltec derivative

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

briandors (07-03-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Seems to me that Cadillac is executing this brilliantly...slow and steady. Providing autonomous driving where it's most beneficial and easy to get comfortable with using.

Price? Assuming it's available only on platinum, where much of the hardware, aside from the Attention Tracking camera and Lidar mapping, is already standard, I'd guess in the 3-4K range. I'm very excited about this advancement for highway and stop and go traffic.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I think Cadillac would be wise to electrify the Escalade with Voltec derivative
    Been saying this for a while, Voltec should be an option in every GM vehicle.
    Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers.

1992 Supra Turbo (Modified)
    2014 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS (Trifecta Tune Coming Soon)
    Past Rides:
    Nissan Murano SLE AWD
    Chrysler Conquest TSI (Modified)
    Toyota Celica ST
    '77 COTY Chevrolet Caprice Classic w/F41 option

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supraracer For This Useful Post:

briandors (07-03-2017),johnstarnes (06-30-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Sounds amazing! I noticed the the shots the author took at the Germans, which is good. Seems similar to the start/stop - GM's is very smooth and seemless where the German tech is rough. Hopefully the German's remain un-smooth and can be pointed out in car comparisons. One thing I've noticed is German's appear to to great at refining existing tech they aren't really good at developing new tech that operates smoothly.

However, I see two obstacles to this well executed tech - GM's marketing and GM's propensity to overprice. Will GM's marketing be able to effectively market this? I suspect we all have reservations on that. And will this be overpriced???? Though I can see it being intentionally overpriced to initially limit the number of takers to limit liabilities if the software fails.

Nice shot JDN took at Tesla! Our customers aren't beta testers! Ha!

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 632 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    However, I see two obstacles to this well executed tech - GM's marketing and GM's propensity to overprice. Will GM's marketing be able to effectively market this? I suspect we all have reservations on that. And will this be overpriced???? Though I can see it being intentionally overpriced to initially limit the number of takers to limit liabilities if the software fails.
    Knowing GM, I expect this to be part of an expensive options package on top trims only. I doubt Super Cruise will be a standalone option. I wish it were standalone though. Tesla's original AutoPilot was a $2500 standalone option that you could add to even the base model with no other options. The second gen AP is $5000 but it's still standalone.

Nice shot JDN took at Tesla! Our customers aren't beta testers! Ha!
    Having lived with Tesla's first gen Auto Pilot for a year now, my opinion is that it's beta only in the sense that it's continuing to get better with ongoing updates (as opposed to a finished product that's not updated any further). While it has its limitations, AP is far better than the non-beta driver assists from Mercedes, Genesis etc. I'm hoping Super Cruise changes that and is a step ahead. It would be nice to have two American companies pushing each other to lead the automotive feature that's getting the most attention today.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-30-2017),Dheart (07-05-2017),samesun (06-30-2017),supraracer (06-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 566 Posts

Extending autonomous driving to non-limited access roads will be a big advance and may depend on all vehicles on the road be broadcasting data on their position and velocity several times a second. Then, cars can assess what each other is doing and avoid collisions.

On a side note, we've talked here about how this technology offers the possibility of reducing traffic deaths dramatically. My wife, the physician, pointed out that it will also dramatically reduce the availability of organs for transplant, an unintended negative effect of an overwhelmingly positive one.
    Last edited by rand49er; 07-01-2017 at 05:25 AM.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 680 Posts

I'm looking forward to Super Cruise with great interest.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 669 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

In 15 years your morning routine in an entry-level vehicle will be:

Get into the car
    Back out of the garage
    Select the destination
    Arrive
    Park

All of it without actual driving.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jesda1 For This Useful Post:

rand49er (07-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 680 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jesda1 View Post
    In 15 years your morning routine in an entry-level vehicle will be:

Get into the car
    Back out of the garage
    Select the destination
    Arrive
    Park

All of it without actual driving.
    Maybe. The outcome is going to be heavily based on perceived reliability, which is going to be inextricably tied to the execution efforts of the pioneers. When technology works, it can be wonderful.

>When technology works< being the keywords here

It won't take many, perhaps just one significantly horrific bad outcome where this technology can be pointed to as the cause, for the technology to be rejected en masse. Automated driving needs to get it right every time, with multiple fail-safes built in. Failure invites horrific outcomes.

The experience needs to be confidence inspiring, as apparently Super Cruise is, according to the experience described at the link.

However. My concern about all of this is that the attention of the driver is required at nearly all times. Understand it's the driving requirement of constant attention that's the most fatiguing, not the physical aspect of steering. If I can't put on some cool jazz, recline the seat and take a nap, I'm not sure what the point is.

If I have to pay (more or less) constant attention to what's going on with the car and road & traffic conditions, I may as well do the steering myself.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-04-2017),redriderjf87 (07-03-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Autonomous driving features will be the next technology that separates the men from the boys in the luxury market in the next 5 years. Mercedes is trying. Volvo isn't doing very well. Cadillac and Tesla seem to be ahead of the game.

In 10 years, this technology will be available on many mainstream vehicles. You can get a commuter beater like an Altima or Equinox that can handle long freeway slogs without driver input.

In 20 years, we won't be driving very much on the highway....and we may actually be able to more efficiently utilize our highway infrastructure as our auto-pilot equipped cars communicate with each other. Imagine if large cities can hold off on widening bridges, tunnels, and highways because cars can safely travel closer together. A highway that could realistically handle 120,000 cars per day in 2017 can handle 175,000 with auto-piloted cars in 2025 that can communicate merge points and lane changes with each other.
    Last edited by member12; 07-04-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by supraracer View Post
    Been saying this for a while, Voltec should be an option in every GM vehicle.
    IMO Cadillac should go a step farther.

They should have a fully electric sports sedan or crossover on the market with Super Cruise. And not a converted XT5....something designed from the ground up to be a fully electric vehicle.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 566 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    ... If I can't put on some cool jazz, recline the seat and take a nap, I'm not sure what the point is. ...
    Agreed. Anything short of this should be considered to be transitory and not yet done.
    Last edited by rand49er; 07-05-2017 at 06:07 AM. Reason: add word
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information