All-New Audi A8 Combines Sophistication With Sleek Style

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All-New Audi A8 Combines Sophistication With Sleek Style

Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 615 Posts

Carscoops
    BY BRAD ANDERSON
    JUL 11, 2017

Finally, after years of testing, months of teasers and days of eager anticipation, the all-new Audi A8 has officially premiered at the Audi Summit in Barcelona, Spain.

As we previously learnt, the new A8 will make use of a 48-volt electrical system and therefore adopts a number of advanced technologies, including a fully active, electromechanical suspension system and is said to be the first car on the market that offers level 3 autonomous driving.

The aforementioned suspension system works thanks to an electric motor on each wheel and incorporates a rotary tube and an internal titanium torsion bar and lever that can apply up to 1,100 Nm (811.3 lb-ft) of torque on the suspension courtesy of a coupling rod. This system then works in conjunction with the luxury sedan’s front camera which detects bumpers and allows the suspension to automatically adjust to offer the smoothest ride possible. Audi says this system will be able to eliminate almost all vibrations and jolts.

On highways at up to 60 km/h, the autonomous system can take full control of the vehicle and permits the driver to completely remove their hands from the steering wheel. Like its rivals, the new A8 includes remote parking which can be operated via a remote, even without any occupants seated inside.
    In Germany, the new A8 will initially be offered with two V6 turbo engines, a 3.0-liter TDI and a 3.0-liter TFSI. The diesel engine will deliver 286 hp while the petrol powertrain will offer up 340 hp. Further down the road, a 4.0-liter TDI V8 with 435 hp will be introduced alongside a 460 hp 4.0-liter V8. The range will then be completed by a 6.0-liter W12 delivering an undisclosed amount.

All five engines operate alongside a belt alternator starter thanks to the 48-volt electrical system. This means the new A8 can coast with the engine switched off and restart smoothly when required. Audi says that this alone can drops fuel consumption by as much as 0.7 liters per 100 km in real driving conditions.

At a later date, an A8 L e-tron quattro will hit the market. It will combine a 3.0-liter TFSI engine with an electric motor to deliver 449 hp and 516 lb-ft of torque. Thanks to its lithium-ion battery, it will also have an all-electric range of about 50 km.
    More at link

2. The Following User Says Thank You to asrapid1 For This Useful Post:

chrisc205 (07-14-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: All-New Audi A8 Combines Sophistication With Sleek Style

So exterior-wise they gave the current model a new grill and a slash on the side? Another German "all new model" that looks exactly the same as the one it replaces. This is about as exciting as the 2017 MCE done on the CTS.

Cool tech though.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

09W (07-11-2017),ClassyEldo (07-11-2017),jalberda (07-12-2017),mbukukanyau (07-11-2017),rand49er (07-12-2017),Ute (07-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 755 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Not a huge Audi fan but that's a pretty slick looking car - really like the interior.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

CJH (07-13-2017)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 632 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asrapid1 View Post
    The aforementioned suspension system works thanks to an electric motor on each wheel and incorporates a rotary tube and an internal titanium torsion bar and lever that can apply up to 1,100 Nm (811.3 lb-ft) of torque on the suspension courtesy of a coupling rod. This system then works in conjunction with the luxury sedan’s front camera which detects bumpers and allows the suspension to automatically adjust to offer the smoothest ride possible. Audi says this system will be able to eliminate almost all vibrations and jolts.
    How often do people drive over (presumably fallen off) bumpers that they need a system to deal with them

On a more serious note, I'm underwhelmed. Everything is just as it should be (aside for a bit too much chrome on the exterior). Nothing wrong, but perfectly predictable and unimaginative. Perhaps I was expecting too much.

The Level 3 automation is by far the most interesting features but it only works up to 35mph on highways, which means it's largely useless except in stop-and-go traffic and for the occasional octogenarian who makes a wrong turn on to a highway accidentally.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,820 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Wow that front is trying way to hard. Audi seem to be losing their way on the quest to create a front that definitively says "AUDI" without it looking ugly or OTT. When the CT6 gets what is essentially the ESCALA front end (That's classy and very attractive and shows some stylistic restraint) an interior redux and a V8/Super Cruise the A8 will have even more competition beyond the 7 Series and S Class.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:

Carbide (07-11-2017)

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

I will say that interior looks very nice.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Meh.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I think Audi's choice of clean/bar of soap for a design direction has long since run its course. The problem with such a clean design is it is hard to restyle it and stay within the styling language but make it look different. Seems like their designers are stuck with changing the grill and head & tail lights to be the differentiator between generations, hence the overwrought grill.

I think it is time for Audi to pick a new design direction. BMW and Mercedes, while maintaining their "BMW-ness" and "Mercedes-ness" from generatin to generation, do strongly change their styling. A 2017 Audi overall shape looks little changed from a 1997 Audi... Take a 1995, change the grill and headlights and viola, we have a 2017.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

jalberda (07-12-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

the tech side is the news story the looks side at first thought I thought of a JETTA LWB version

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 542 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    So exterior-wise they gave the current model a new grill and a slash on the side? Another German "all new model" that looks exactly the same as the one it replaces. This is about as exciting as the 2017 MCE done on the CTS.

Cool tech though.
    I have to agree. The interior looks great, but I'm underwhelmed by the exterior. Dare I say the front doesn't even look premium/classy to me?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Audi's used to be some of my favorite cars to look at on the road. Now they're all going towards a total snoozefest outside. Doesn't look like anything special at all to me.
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

SKH
    Thanks
    My Ride

In some ways it looks like a giant A4, and looking like your mid price bread and butter model is not good for a flagship design. The Audi Prologue looked half way decent. WTF happened on the way from concept to production?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asrapid1 View Post
    Carscoops
    BY BRAD ANDERSON
    JUL 11, 2017

More at link
    That's a nice, very Audi-like interior. And a big grille.

It's certainly more expressive than CT6 and lacks a degree of restraint, which leads me to question what Cadillac knows that Audi doesn't seem to.

The butt is sexy. My eyes are drawn to the hood, it's probably my favorite part of the car.

That face definitely makes a statement, but I'm not sure what that statement is...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

CJH (07-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I think Audi's choice of clean/bar of soap for a design direction has long since run its course. The problem with such a clean design is it is hard to restyle it and stay within the styling language but make it look different. Seems like their designers are stuck with changing the grill and head & tail lights to be the differentiator between generations, hence the overwrought grill.

I think it is time for Audi to pick a new design direction. BMW and Mercedes, while maintaining their "BMW-ness" and "Mercedes-ness" from generatin to generation, do strongly change their styling. A 2017 Audi overall shape looks little changed from a 1997 Audi... Take a 1995, change the grill and headlights and viola, we have a 2017.
    On the contrary, I think Audi has a distinct advantage with its design language. Name another brand that could conceivably replicate the aggressive look of its trademark maw.

The look has modernized, and it's developed positively over time. It's become more interesting. BMW and Mercedes have hardly changed their styling when you look at them over time; no more so than Audi.

Look at a single model at each BMW, MB, and Audi over the last, say, 3-4 generations.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

CJH (07-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 615 Posts

Very nice interior.
    Could use more power from 4.0 l v8.
    If i'm not mistaking it is said that A8 will use 4.0 l v8 TT from Porsche ( as the one from Panamera). So I wouldn't be surprised to see 600+ hp V8 in future A8.
    And there is still W12 in future for A8

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information