VW exec says 'tipping point is near' for electric vehicles

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VW exec says 'tipping point is near' for electric vehicles

emh
    Thanks

by LARRY P. VELLEQUETTE

Battery-electric price parity with internal combustion engines will be the tipping point that brings broad market acceptance for the emerging technology -- and that tipping point is closer than it may appear, said Reinhard Fischer, senior vice president for Volkswagen Group who heads strategy for VW brand in North America.
    VW's 12-brand group, which includes Audi, Porsche and Bentley, said in March it plans to introduce almost 70 full-electric models globally by 2028, accounting for 22 million battery-powered vehicles.
    "I don't think it's going to take a lot of convincing," Fischer said. "There is a fundamental curiosity. Everybody sees the end state.

"When you put pencil to paper, owning a full-electric vehicle costs about half of what a gas car costs me to operate."
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

2. The Following User Says Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

igor (08-09-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,694 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Re: VW exec says 'tipping point is near' for electric vehicles

The price of VW EVs says otherwise.
    I'll believe it when they release one with decent range in volume for less than $30K.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (09-03-2019),Extreme4x4 (09-02-2019),jamiepeterson2 (08-14-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,295 Times in 3,954 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Likes Kool Aid.
    "Once you overcome the fear of something new, the EV is the better choice for you," he said.

Arrogant too. Who said anything about fear? Thinking things through is not an emotion.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-10-2019),377Z (08-14-2019),eklauss (09-03-2019),Extreme4x4 (09-02-2019),gkr778 (08-08-2019),Rumpole (08-14-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,647 Times in 3,866 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    The price of VW EVs says otherwise.
    I'll believe it when they release one with decent range in volume for less than $30K.
    I think that will be part of the thinking that will need to be adjusted. The car may cost more upfront, but the maintenance + cheaper electric will make it cheaper to own over its lifetime.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

igor (08-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,647 Times in 3,866 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Likes Kool Aid.
    "Once you overcome the fear of something new, the EV is the better choice for you," he said.

Arrogant too. Who said anything about fear? Thinking things through is not an emotion.
    fear seems like the correct word for me - I see resistance to change all the time at work with new software and processes and at times I resist them myself. I also see a lot of people on GMI that don't like any changes - a Corvette has to be front engine V8. Fear of something new, even though most of the time the new is better.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-10-2019),chinamonty (08-08-2019),emh (08-08-2019),igor (08-09-2019),richmond2000 (08-08-2019),Rumpole (08-14-2019),sdotjeezy (08-08-2019),wallus13 (08-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Likes Kool Aid.
    I wonder if Oliver Schmidt gets served that stuff in his prison cell?
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (08-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 539 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    fear seems like the correct word for me - I see resistance to change all the time at work with new software and processes and at times I resist them myself. I also see a lot of people on GMI that don't like any changes - a Corvette has to be front engine V8. Fear of something new, even though most of the time the new is better.
    Preach!!! I deal w/ that resistance to change all the damn time and 9/10 its a change that they freaking requested.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (08-08-2019),igor (08-09-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,144 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

IMHO NO tipping point till I see a midmarket SUV available for similar pricing as a "ICE" version
    at this point EVERY EV offered is a 20K compact "bubble" in a "truckster" marketplace
    once battery prices drop low enough that designers can design something that appeals to the market OVER maximizing battery range for a LITTLE battery as possible

Thanks
    My Ride

I can only speak for myself. I'm looking at the big picture. I've posted the Manhattan Institute article a few times here, but essentially this looks very much like a dirigible full of hydrogen like the Hindenburg. Things can go on fine for some years until raw materials, the laws of physics, the grid. and reality jump in to rain on the parade. In the Hindenburg's case, it was a hot rain.

Time will tell.

The biggest issue I have is ill-informed virtue-signaling legislators, "leaders," and bureaucrats forcing the issue by decreeing increasingly-stringent MPG and emissions requirement when today's vehicles are already unimaginably clean.

More effective would be requiring a heater on the cat and/or the exhaust downpipe and perhaps on the oil pan. The yooj majority of vehicle emissions come out the pooper in the first few minutes of run time.

But this isn't about efficiency, it's about politics and it's powered by the stiffs and rabble who hate petrol the way many virtue-signaling revolutionaries hate POTUS without knowing much about anything in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    I wonder if Oliver Schmidt gets served that stuff in his prison cell?
    I hope that we taxpayers are supplying that young man with only the finest in food and beverage during his stay at the pathetic Americanish Gästehaus.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 08-08-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-10-2019),377Z (08-14-2019),62Lincoln (08-08-2019),Ed753 (08-08-2019),eklauss (09-03-2019),Extreme4x4 (09-02-2019),gkr778 (08-08-2019),SKH (08-08-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Buick Regal Turbo

They're getting ahead of themselves. We simply don't have the infrastructure in the US to support EV's. You have to drive vast distances in many parts of the country to find charging stations, and even those have limited charging bays.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DequindreToo For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-10-2019),eklauss (09-03-2019),Extreme4x4 (09-02-2019),Neanderthal (08-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,694 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

I think that will be part of the thinking that will need to be adjusted. The car may cost more upfront, but the maintenance + cheaper electric will make it cheaper to own over its lifetime.
    I don't believe people think that way. They look at the monthly payment.

I personally have little interest in lugging around a lot of expensive batteries.
    It's less hassle to lug around a range extender. The Volt/ELR engine is from an Aveo... about as cheap as it gets.

Another issue is nearly non-existant support for large EV batteries.
    There are next to no refurbs, so it's time to junk the car if it goes.

ELR is one of the few cars where it's worth replacing the big battery.
    Sure, it's probably close to $10K installed, but that's cheap compared to "pure" EVs.
    Once you've done it, you pretty much have yourself a nice new luxury car.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Translation: "We've hung our collective asses in the wind with EV's after getting caught cheating with diesels, so we need to begin our marketing campaign now to convince the marketplace that we have the answer to the question the marketplace has not been asking."

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 62Lincoln For This Useful Post:

09W (08-09-2019),1958carnut (08-10-2019),377Z (08-14-2019),DequindreToo (08-08-2019),Ed753 (08-08-2019),eklauss (09-03-2019),Extreme4x4 (09-02-2019),gkr778 (08-08-2019),joey (08-09-2019),Neanderthal (08-08-2019),Stéphane Dumas (08-08-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

The worst part of all this is the decisions are made by unaccountable royalty known as the European Union pointy-heads who have never paid any price for any bad decision they've made. And they never will.

Quote Originally Posted by DequindreToo View Post
    They're getting ahead of themselves. We simply don't have the infrastructure in the US to support EV's. You have to drive vast distances in many parts of the country to find charging stations, and even those have limited charging bays.
    Quote Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
    Translation: "We've hung our collective asses in the wind with EV's after getting caught cheating with diesels, so we need to begin our marketing campaign now to convince the marketplace that we have the answer to the question the marketplace has not been asking."
    Pretty clear summary, especially when the push to electric is based on a total fraud that carbon is bad and the earth is in mortal peril and will end around 2030.
    Since the end is near, why bother? Eleven years.

Of course, we've heard that panic and hysteria before. It's how you get people to follow you, often over the cliff, if they are herd animals and incapable of thought and research.

ENVIRONMENT JUNE 7, 2019 / 2:11 AM / 2 MONTHS AGO
    Germany's Opel town shows struggle for Europe to plug in electric cars
    Vera Eckert

RUESSELSHEIM, Germany (Reuters) - Carmakers and policymakers in Europe are staking their futures on a race to electric vehicles. But the vast charging network needed to sustain their vision is patchy, and it’s not clear who’ll pay for it.

Yet, even here, red tape, shortages of qualified staff and the requisite hardware are likely to delay the installation by around two years, local officials told Reuters.

The project will also need more money, said the officials who are running up against the complexity of civil engineering, potential power grid overloads and unwieldy payment processes, illustrating some of the difficulties facing cities and nations across Europe.

“We are not doing this for profit,” said Marianne Floersheimer, Ruesselsheim council’s mobility chief. “But we cannot afford to top up the government money.”

The number of electric cars on German roads grew fivefold between 2015 and 2018, and have risen strongly across Europe. However the growth in electric cars is outpacing the charging infrastructure.

Any logjam could prove a problem for carmakers which, faced with emissions penalties, are pumping tens of billions of euros into electric technology in an industry-wide charge. German champion Volkswagen, for example, aims for electric vehicles to account for about a quarter of its sales by 2025.

Obstacles to electrification could also strain the European Union’s plan to become “carbon neutral” by 2050 to combat climate change. A quarter of climate-harming emissions come from transport and, within that, most from passenger cars.

Like other German cities, Ruesselsheim is under pressure to roll out charging stations as environmental activists have started suing those municipalities that fail to comply with EU-wide rules for nitrogen dioxide emissions.

Carmakers are largely pouring much of their money into the development of electric vehicles, while energy providers hesitate to take on responsibility for the rollout as long as car sales remain too low to provide a profitable customer base.

In Germany, many of the roughly 1,500 local utility players simply cannot shoulder huge infrastructure costs, especially while commercial success is not assured.

The situation could become a vicious circle, some industry experts say, since without a large number of charging stations, customers may be reluctant to make the leap to electric.

“Today it is still largely unclear who will make the necessary investment in the charging infrastructure in cities, housing and along the motorways in the short term, and how these can refinance themselves in the medium and long term,” said Jens Haas, managing director automotive at AlixPartners.

“This results in lasting scepticism among German car customers and, in turn, hesitant buying.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...-idUSKCN1T80F6
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-10-2019),eklauss (09-03-2019),Extreme4x4 (09-02-2019),jamiepeterson2 (08-14-2019)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DequindreToo View Post
    That is part of the problem, the other is that there isn't enough power being generated right now for a major swing to EVs. Areas of California are having rolling blackouts as is, adding cars is going to create a greater squeeze on the electricity supply. Couple that with the general unwillingness/ignorance to replace power plants or add additional ones and I can see the price going up.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dratnol For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,744 Times in 4,613 Posts
    My Ride
    2018 GMC Sierra Crew 6 1/2'

Define "lifetime"? The typical car requires very little maintenance in the first 50K, and not much more in the next 50K, and some of the "wear items" aren't unique to ICE vehicles; tires, suspension components, wiper blades, etc.

Now if gas becomes a lot more exspensive (or electricity becomes free) then it would "work" sooner.

Likes Kool Aid.

Wait, this guy works for that company that less than 5 years ago was telling us about how close we were to the tipping point of diesel engines, right?

I suspect he's hanging around this guy too much....................

Current: Hidden Content Hidden Content

Past: '17 Cruze; '15 F150; '14 Volt; '13 MKX; '13 Silverado; '13 Fusion; '11 Ram; '10 Commander; '08 Sierra; '07 Rendezvous; '05 Ram; '04 Grand Cherokee; '03 F150; '01 Silverado; '00 Jimmy; '99 Sierra; '97 Ram; '96 Mustang GT; '96 Jimmy; '90 Escort GT; '89 Ranger; '84 Omni; '76 Malibu; '78 LeMans; '85 Escort; '82 Lynx; '75 Sierra

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ed753 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (08-10-2019),eklauss (09-03-2019),Extreme4x4 (09-02-2019),gkr778 (08-08-2019),Neanderthal (08-08-2019)

32. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information