Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

  1. #1
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    416
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 223 Times in 127 Posts

    Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    https://www.motor1.com/news/395042/u...ss-connection/

    • Uconnect 5 builds upon a well-established, intuitive user experience (UX) and third-party recognition with Android’s automotive operating system and processing speeds that are five times faster
    • Uconnect pioneers personalization with up to five user profiles plus valet mode, reestablishing vehicle preferences and settings with the touch of a button
    • Exclusive and customizable home screen allows quick access to frequently used features with one-touch operation
    • Uconnect expands Alexa "Home to Car" functionality to include in-vehicle Alexa virtual assistant with natural voice capability and “Car to Home” features
    • Wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto make connecting and sharing easy
    • New TomTom navigation experience adds popular features for a built-in solution with natural voice capability and Maps Over The Air (MOTA)
    • SiriusXM’s 360L and new Personalized Stations Powered by Pandora available
    • Simultaneous dual-phone connectivity allows greater flexibility with passengers
    • Seamless integration of technology within the vehicle interior combines with card-based screens to provide an updated and refreshed look and feel
    • Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) seamlessly loads improved software updates to the vehicle
    • Improvements in Uconnect system software, strategy and hardware reduce distracted driving
    • Most screen area ever offered in an FCA product at 12.3 inches supports up to 15 million pixels in Ultra HD
    • New Uconnect system features global capability for vehicle owners in more than 150 countries

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bare For This Useful Post:

    Al465 (01-29-2020),Juche (01-27-2020),RedSkyBlackDream (01-27-2020),Tiocfaidh ar la (01-27-2020),TruckMan (01-27-2020)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  4. #2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    6,360
    Thanks
    4,690
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,336 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by Bare View Post
    https://www.motor1.com/news/395042/u...ss-connection/

    • Uconnect 5 builds upon a well-established, intuitive user experience (UX) and third-party recognition with Android’s automotive operating system and processing speeds that are five times faster
    • Uconnect pioneers personalization with up to five user profiles plus valet mode, reestablishing vehicle preferences and settings with the touch of a button
    • Exclusive and customizable home screen allows quick access to frequently used features with one-touch operation
    • Uconnect expands Alexa "Home to Car" functionality to include in-vehicle Alexa virtual assistant with natural voice capability and “Car to Home” features
    • Wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto make connecting and sharing easy
    • New TomTom navigation experience adds popular features for a built-in solution with natural voice capability and Maps Over The Air (MOTA)
    • SiriusXM’s 360L and new Personalized Stations Powered by Pandora available
    • Simultaneous dual-phone connectivity allows greater flexibility with passengers
    • Seamless integration of technology within the vehicle interior combines with card-based screens to provide an updated and refreshed look and feel
    • Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) seamlessly loads improved software updates to the vehicle
    • Improvements in Uconnect system software, strategy and hardware reduce distracted driving
    • Most screen area ever offered in an FCA product at 12.3 inches supports up to 15 million pixels in Ultra HD
    • New Uconnect system features global capability for vehicle owners in more than 150 countries
    Some nice improvements there. I wonder how long it'll take GM to get these?
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

  5. #3
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 gkr778's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Southaven, Mississippi USA
    Posts
    3,038
    Thanks
    4,014
    Thanked 3,006 Times in 1,524 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    Some nice improvements there. I wonder how long it'll take GM to get these?
    GM announced that it will use Android Automotive (same platform as Uconnect 5) for its infotainment system starting in 2021. I wouldn't be surprised if wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto along with simultaneous dual-phone connectivity are among the enhancements.

    One difference between Uconnect 5 and GM's upcoming system is that the latter will have embedded Google Maps rather than TomTom navigation.

    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    6,360
    Thanks
    4,690
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,336 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    GM announced that it will use Android Automotive (same platform as Uconnect 5) for its infotainment system starting in 2021. I wouldn't be surprised if wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto along with simultaneous dual-phone connectivity are among the enhancements.

    One difference between Uconnect 5 and GM's upcoming system is that the latter will have embedded Google Maps rather than TomTom navigation.

    I hope 2021 is real. I want a new truck this year, so I'm hoping to can pick up a 2021 at the end of the year with a bunch of interior improvements.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

    gkr778 (01-27-2020)

  9. #5
    ksr
    ksr is offline
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head Island, SC
    Posts
    6,966
    Thanks
    1,001
    Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,561 Posts

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    The UConnect in my 2014 Cherokee blew away CUE in my 2019 ATS.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

    In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

    canadian.bacon (01-29-2020)

  11. #6
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 BORG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI, USA
    Posts
    2,423
    Thanks
    202
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 500 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    It's all amazing how much Detroit seems to mirror each other. Although they don't use Android, Ford's Sync 4 has virtually identical capabilities and specs.
    Last edited by BORG; 01-27-2020 at 12:46 PM.

  12. #7
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 Mentat Bashar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Air Capital of the World
    Posts
    2,097
    Thanks
    846
    Thanked 776 Times in 453 Posts
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    I think we have some computer programmers here. I was curious as to why switch from QNX to Android? Isn't QNX more secure?
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

    Apostrophes: Hidden Content

    Spelling: Hidden Content

  13. #8
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    17,914
    Thanks
    2,232
    Thanked 4,840 Times in 2,721 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    Wireless Android Auto would be freaking nice.
    Hidden Content

    Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

  14. #9
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,358
    Thanks
    1,032
    Thanked 2,866 Times in 1,483 Posts

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by Mentat Bashar View Post
    I think we have some computer programmers here. I was curious as to why switch from QNX to Android? Isn't QNX more secure?
    Android is probably Cheaper, and if I were a betting man I'd wager that Google is going to eventually nix the AA compatibility with QNX to force more OEMs to their platform.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

  15. #10
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,572
    Thanks
    607
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 452 Posts

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    The UConnect in my 2014 Cherokee blew away CUE in my 2019 ATS.

    My son has a 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Outdoorsman 4x4 with the up-level system and screen. He loves the truck and the system. I have driven it often and the system in the 2014 is VERY easy to use, with easy-to-read graphics. It sure sounds as though this new system will be even better.

    I have a 2015 Ford Expedition with the up-level Sync system - it is terrible.

    I also have a 2014 Chevrolet Impala 2LTZ and the system in it is okay - but easy to use.

  16. #11
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Winterpeg
    Posts
    9,166
    Thanks
    11,447
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,386 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by Mentat Bashar View Post
    I think we have some computer programmers here. I was curious as to why switch from QNX to Android? Isn't QNX more secure?
    security is of less importance at the "OS" level then it is the NETWORK GATEWAY
    and Android will LIKELY have more support and better DEV tools than QNX - making the actual DEV easier

  17. #12
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Winterpeg
    Posts
    9,166
    Thanks
    11,447
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,386 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    My son has a 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Outdoorsman 4x4 with the up-level system and screen. He loves the truck and the system. I have driven it often and the system in the 2014 is VERY easy to use, with easy-to-read graphics. It sure sounds as though this new system will be even better.

    I have a 2015 Ford Expedition with the up-level Sync system - it is terrible.

    I also have a 2014 Chevrolet Impala 2LTZ and the system in it is okay - but easy to use.
    I have a 2014 RAM and had a 2020 Wrangler as a loaner and have to say the "MK4" system in the Wrangler is WAY BETTER than the 14 - 18 systems (RA3-RA4) VS UAS-UAQ

    2 issues I have with my 2014 system is playing MP3's over 2 hours long it has a memory corruption issue of some sort and goes distorted and eventually crashes the whole system ( will reboot and then is good) - has to be ONE TRACK 2 hours long on USB stick
    and sometimes when it starts up it gets locked on "waiting for signal" and you must power down the truck and wait 10 minutes and try again - will be OK OR do the trip in silence

  18. #13
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 Mentat Bashar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Air Capital of the World
    Posts
    2,097
    Thanks
    846
    Thanked 776 Times in 453 Posts
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    security is of less importance at the "OS" level then it is the NETWORK GATEWAY
    and Android will LIKELY have more support and better DEV tools than QNX - making the actual DEV easier
    When you say the Network Gateway you mean access into the vehicles systems? That makes sense to me. I had a suspicion that it might also be better development support as well.
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

    Apostrophes: Hidden Content

    Spelling: Hidden Content

  19. #14
    CJH
    CJH is offline
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 CJH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    MinnesoTAX
    Posts
    3,819
    Thanks
    5,065
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,036 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    I haven't used it a ton, but U-Connect is my favorite of all the systems, and is very easy to use. This sounds like it will keep it that way.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

  20. #15
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    425
    Thanks
    325
    Thanked 438 Times in 188 Posts

    Re: Uconnect 5 Update Brings Faster Speeds, 12-Inch Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    security is of less importance at the "OS" level then it is the NETWORK GATEWAY
    and Android will LIKELY have more support and better DEV tools than QNX - making the actual DEV easier
    That's bollocks. Install a rogue app and your "less importance at the OS" level will go down the toilet. Android is the most vulnerable option out there.
    Security of the infotainment systems is very and immensely underestimated in the car industry today. Good security means lots of continuous development and lots of investment. More and more systems are tied into that system, not only your radio and your google maps. OTA (over the air) updates will be the norm more and more and you gain access to that, you gain access to the whole car.

    Don't you think they already signed an agreement to sell all your info to Google? GM will make money out of your driving habits, location, what music you listen to, what you talk about in the car and so on. And you wont see a penny out of it.

    There is a reason they use QNX in missiles and nuclear plants and all. Real time OS with a very small footprint. And not tied to the biggest data miner on the planet.
    Knowing GM, they went with the cheaper solution and will deal with the issues when they show up, if ever. Till then, look how much money we saved this quarter !

  21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2