Toyota's frame rusting problem more widespread than admitted?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota's frame rusting problem more widespread than admitted?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

GM Inside News

In 2008, Toyota instituted a “consumer support program” to address frame rust on 1995-2000 Tacomas. The press release stresses that only a small number of the over 800,000 Tacomas were affected ; and that this program was neither a recall nor a special service program. They also, through a blog post, attempted to paint the issue lightly by saying that “rust… never sleeps” and that “rust is a fact of life.”

To Toyota’s credit, they did extend the warranties on those vehicles to 15 years, and offered to repair or buy back the vehicles, no matter how many times removed it is from the original owner.

Toyota was never forthright about the scope of the issue for the implicated model years. Further, despite claims of rust issues on later year Tacomas, has not officially recognized a problem.

Frame rust has also been an issue with Tundras built earlier this decade. Toyota issued a quiet special service program to address those issues, too, on top of a recall.

Why is this a topic of discussion here? Well, while having my wife’s Chrysler product serviced at a joint Toyota/Chrysler service center, I observed something I have never seen at any dealership. While I was leaving, I rounded a corner in the parking lot and right there in plain view was a pile of frames. Rusted, cut up frames. I immediately recalled [heh] Toyota’s rusting frame issue and parked the car for a closer look. It was very possible that these were frames from non-Toyota products. However, when I approached I saw stickers on the frames that read “NUMMI.” Other frames had VINs written on them. Toyota VINs. So, I took a set of photos and then went on my way.

If the problem was so minimal, why is it that—two and a half years after the announcement—there are so many frames/frame segments in just this one location? Is this replicated at other Toyota dealers? Perhaps most interesting, if one decodes the VIN in the last photograph, the frame is from a 2002 Tacoma—which, of course, is two years newer than the newest Tacomas Toyota admitted had a problem.

Finally, I didn’t note the VINs on all of the frames, so it’s possible that other Toyota models, such as the Tundra, are represented in this pile. Some of the frames seemed larger than the others. I’ll leave that up to the Toyota-aware to determine.

Last edited by Titanic; 12-20-2010 at 07:59 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Toyota's frame rusting problem more widespread than admitted?

I love that the ad below this post was for the "Toyotathon" sale going on now!
    2010 Yukon Denali

Thanks

Does that dealership have a body shop? If so, it is possible that these frames were removed as parts of accident repair. Just a thought (Not that I am defending Toyota).

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

I've recently seen a semi truck with 3 stacks of 10 frames (30) sitting outside a toyota dealer here in DE. And no this dealer is not known to have a great body shop that would warrant that amount of truck frames.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

My neighbor has a new Black Tundra, in speaking to a other neighbor a few weeks back I mentioned that it looked like the other one bought a new truck, he said yes and that it was due to frame rust that was on his frame of his Tacoma, I guess he got some assistance with the new one,didnt know that he was having a problem, it looked clean and free of rust on the outside. Needless to say that no mater what we think of toyota, they appear to take care of thier customers for the most part. Something that GM needs to learn, not just during the warrenty but afterwords.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

Thanks

I think it needs more research. An in-depth investigation is needed. Toyota is already suffering from their dishonest handling of this kind of issue.

Thanks

I have to say, those frames don't look any more rusty than your average gen I & II Explorer or Ranger...

I love my '98 to death, even more so my dearly departed '91, but they sure rust...
    2019 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 3.3L 4WD
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,366 Times in 794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drankin21 View Post
    I love that the ad below this post was for the "Toyotathon" sale going on now!
    Good one!

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

I have to say, those frames don't look any more rusty than your average gen I & II Explorer or Ranger...

I love my '98 to death, even more so my dearly departed '91, but they sure rust...
    I was thinking the same thing. Unless the bad parts have already been cut out and either tossed or sent in for examination. We have 05 Silverado's at work with frames that look worse than those do. I've seen plenty of newer ones that look just as bad.

Thanks

That VIN# won't pull on Carfax at all.
    Mercedes: Irrellevant in todays market.

"I would never consider owning a Buick because of the sheer stigma of owning a Buick, no matter how good they got;"
    -Mgescuro the follower.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

The 4Runner has been the bigger frame rust issue per my local dealer that has Toyota in their automall. The whole rear subassembly can rust out and fail in different ways than the Tacoma issue (driveshaft joint failure, rear tow assembly failure, suspension collapse, etc.).

As someone noted above, even though Toyota has issues, no more than the Ford Explorers and Isuzu/Honda joint models of that timeframe of 1995 to 2002.
    Current Driveway Fleet:
    2017 Chevrolet Trax Premier
    2016 Malibu Hybrid
    2013 Sonic LTZ HB
    2003 Porsche Boxster S (sunny days and track events)
    April 2008 to August 2017 - 2008 Colorado CrewCab Z71 RWD. 81K miles and 21.2 mpg with a great truck
    May 2014 to June 2016 - Cruze Diesel - 36.8 mpg over 33K miles with best tank of 50.2 mpg
    April 2012 to May 2014 - Chevy Volt - 3 tanks of gas in 12.2K miles.

Thanks

My next door neighbor had his Tundra in the shop for months this past summer. It seems that they had a hard time getting new frames for his truck "due to demand for replacement frames".

The neighbors are from a family where Toyota is God, so I don't expect them to ever change, but I do get a kick out of reminding them about how long it took to fix their Tundra.

The dealer gave them a Sienna to drive while the Tundra was being repaired and I know they enjoyed the Sienna more than the Tundra (They have 4 kids, 7, 6, 5 and 2 years old). But they just don't want another car payment right now.
    -
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution, so the second will not become the legalized version of the first - Thomas Jefferson
    -

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 377Z View Post
    I was thinking the same thing ... that rust appeared to be mainly surface rust.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

Didn't Toyota issue a statement saying it was because municipalities were using non-Toyota approved road salt and rain that was causing the problem.

Or was it a problem due to defect from a paint supplier.....steel maker....defective asphalt? Surely it can't be Toyota's problem.

Akio Toyoda said his name is on every vehicle... just spelled differently.
    Hidden Content
    1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

This makes no sense to me.

Why would any Toyota dealer be removing entire frames off their vehicles at the dealer?? Frame damage on a vehicle is considered "totaled" I would imagine the dealer would remove serviceable parts and scrap the rest. Maybe the frame was "the rest"? But I doubt it....
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold
    2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback 19,xxx miles.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information