Toyota unveils images of upcoming all-electric cars, accelerates EV plans by 5 years - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toyota unveils images of upcoming all-electric cars, accelerates EV plans by 5 years

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Toyota unveils images of upcoming all-electric cars, accelerates EV plans by 5 ye

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I'd go hybrid any day over 'lektrik. Unless I had a fleet, and garage space, for five or more cars, that would change things.
    My next car will be electric. It's more my wife's car. She drives 28 miles / day and she is alone in her car. Currently she is driving a 2009 Ford Focus (manual).

A Spark EV would have been perfect for what she needs. When we need more space or on long family trips, we can take the Grand Caravan. Two days out of three, I do not take the GC to get to work: I walk or use my bike.

We do not think our actions will save the planet. I'm going to work by bike or walking because I live 2 km from my place of work and it's as fast as driving.

I want an electric car because here gas is expensive but electricity is very affordable. The cost of the km-electric is about 1/8 the cost of the km-petrol and the electric car requires less maintenance.

We are not radical ecologists. My alternative plan is to sell the Focus and the GC to buy a single car and it would be a Honda Clarity because GM no longer manufactures the Volt. This plan would require me more adaptation the days of bad weather but I would save a lot.

As I get older I have less and less passion for driving. Firstly, manual cars are becoming more and more rare. Secondly, the traffic makes travel less pleasant and longer. Third, I realized too late that a car is the worst investment you can make. Fourth, the choice of car decreases to be replaced by SUVs, which I do not like driving.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to YesImOld For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (06-14-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Toyota unveils images of upcoming all-electric cars, accelerates EV plans by 5 ye

Fossil fuel is dying. And you are a dinosaur......

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,573 Times in 4,094 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeauty7 View Post
    Fossil fuel is dying. And you are a dinosaur......
    LOLZ. Another True Believer.

It's not "fossil" anyway.

Earth Is An Oil-Producing Machine — We're Not Running Out

KERRY JACKSON11/04/2015

Ever since M. King Hubbert in the 1950s convinced a lot of people with his "peak oil" theory that production would collapse and we'd eventually exhaust our crude supplies, the clock has been running. And running. And it will continue to run for some time, as technology and new discoveries show that there's still an ocean of oil under our feet.

Engineering and Technology Magazine reported this week that BP — the company that once wanted to be known as "Beyond Petroleum" rather than "British Petroleum" — is saying "the world is no longer at risk of running out of resources."

"Thanks to investment into supercomputers, robotics and the use of chemicals to extract the maximum from available reservoirs, the accessible oil and gas reserves will almost double by 2050," Engineering and Technology said.

A BP official told the magazine that "energy resources are plentiful. Concerns over running out of oil and gas have disappeared."

Things are so good, in fact, that Engineering and Technology says "with the use of the innovative technologies, available fossil fuel resources could increase from the current 2.9 trillion barrels of oil equivalent to 4.8 trillion by 2050, which is almost twice as much as the projected global demand." That number could even reach 7.5 trillion barrels if technology and exploration techniques advance even faster.

This information backs up the idea that Earth is actually an oil-producing machine. We call energy sources such as crude oil and natural gas fossil fuels based on the assumption that they are the products of decaying organisms, maybe even dinosaurs themselves. But the label is a misnomer. Research from the last decade found that hydrocarbons are synthesized abiotically.

In other words, as Science magazine has reported, the "data imply that hydrocarbons are produced chemically" from carbon found in Earth's mantle. Nature magazine calls the product of this process an "unexpected bounty " of "natural gas and the building blocks of oil products."

So don't feel guilty about exploiting this "bounty." There seems to be plenty to go around — and there will probably still be a lot left when technology, not hurried by government mandates and subsidies but guided by market forces, produces practical and affordable renewable energy.

But for now, enjoy our cheap, abundant and efficient "fossil" fuels.

https://www.investors.com/politics/c...roduces-crude/

You can thank me later, say in 12 years when the world has come to an end.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

big swede (06-14-2019),gkr778 (06-14-2019),Mingo (06-14-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Fossil fuel will be legislated out of existence way before the need to by the do gooders.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,144 Times in 1,721 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by YesImOld View Post
    My next car will be electric. It's more my wife's car. She drives 28 miles / day and she is alone in her car. Currently she is driving a 2009 Ford Focus (manual).

A Spark EV would have been perfect for what she needs. When we need more space or on long family trips, we can take the Grand Caravan. Two days out of three, I do not take the GC to get to work: I walk or use my bike.
    Get rid of that crummy Focus and get your Spark EV here:
    https://www.carvana.com/cars/chevrol...NvdXJjZSI6MTF9
    Many to choose from with low miles (11 have less than 20K) and they're cheap (less than $12K).

Short range EVs have become something of a Carvana specialty.
    It's very easy to buy one there because they deliver. No hassle trying to get it home.
    They've sold hundreds of Spark EVs, they're very popular.
    Last edited by eaton53; 06-14-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    LOLZ. Another True Believer.

It's not "fossil" anyway.

Earth Is An Oil-Producing Machine — We're Not Running Out

KERRY JACKSON11/04/2015

Ever since M. King Hubbert in the 1950s convinced a lot of people with his "peak oil" theory that production would collapse and we'd eventually exhaust our crude supplies, the clock has been running. And running. And it will continue to run for some time, as technology and new discoveries show that there's still an ocean of oil under our feet.

Engineering and Technology Magazine reported this week that BP — the company that once wanted to be known as "Beyond Petroleum" rather than "British Petroleum" — is saying "the world is no longer at risk of running out of resources."

"Thanks to investment into supercomputers, robotics and the use of chemicals to extract the maximum from available reservoirs, the accessible oil and gas reserves will almost double by 2050," Engineering and Technology said.

A BP official told the magazine that "energy resources are plentiful. Concerns over running out of oil and gas have disappeared."

Things are so good, in fact, that Engineering and Technology says "with the use of the innovative technologies, available fossil fuel resources could increase from the current 2.9 trillion barrels of oil equivalent to 4.8 trillion by 2050, which is almost twice as much as the projected global demand." That number could even reach 7.5 trillion barrels if technology and exploration techniques advance even faster.

This information backs up the idea that Earth is actually an oil-producing machine. We call energy sources such as crude oil and natural gas fossil fuels based on the assumption that they are the products of decaying organisms, maybe even dinosaurs themselves. But the label is a misnomer. Research from the last decade found that hydrocarbons are synthesized abiotically.

In other words, as Science magazine has reported, the "data imply that hydrocarbons are produced chemically" from carbon found in Earth's mantle. Nature magazine calls the product of this process an "unexpected bounty " of "natural gas and the building blocks of oil products."

So don't feel guilty about exploiting this "bounty." There seems to be plenty to go around — and there will probably still be a lot left when technology, not hurried by government mandates and subsidies but guided by market forces, produces practical and affordable renewable energy.

But for now, enjoy our cheap, abundant and efficient "fossil" fuels.

https://www.investors.com/politics/c...roduces-crude/

You can thank me later, say in 12 years when the world has come to an end.
    Thanks for this information. It is nice to see someone else helping to cast enlightenment on those that have bought into the doctrine of "oil comes from fossils" There is very much evidence that oil is actually abiotic and produced in the mantle.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,573 Times in 4,094 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
    Thanks for this information. It is nice to see someone else helping to cast enlightenment on those that have bought into the doctrine of "oil comes from fossils" There is very much evidence that oil is actually abiotic and produced in the mantle.
    You're welcome!

Anyway, anyone who's watched the first episode of The Beverly Hillbillies knows whar oil comes from.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member mkwelbornjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 VW GTI

We just need advanced hybrids that give the driver the feel of ICE using electric when cruising. Also modern coal plants actually burn very clean and the waste is used for a number of production applications...gypsum/sheetrock for one. Windmills covering the countryside have much higher visual pollution.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information