Toyota, Subaru, Suzuki, and Mazda Combine on BEVs

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Toyota, Subaru, Suzuki, and Mazda Combine on BEVs

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,974 Times in 3,798 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Toyota, Subaru, Suzuki, and Mazda Combine on BEVs

A common public refrain among Tesla fans and shareholders is that “dinosaur legacy automakers’ are intentionally slowing down the development of electric vehicles, most likely because they are in cahoots with “big oil.” In the privacy of their detached 2-garage homes, the song turns into an evening prayer for that the OEMs will keep on sleeping, such as not to trample on the nascent demand for electric cars. The prayers have not been heard. Today, Toyota, the world’s (currently) largest automaker, declared its full support for battery-electric vehicles, and this after the other two of the top three automakers, Volkswagen and the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance, have long thrown their considerable industrial might behind electric cars.

The big story of today is not just that Toyota, a company widely suspected of harboring anti-battery tendencies, is going full-bore BEV. The much bigger story is that Toyota is bringing three additional automakers to the electric party: Subaru, Suzuki, and Mazda (the latter not yet officially, but I have it on – see below – excellent authority that Mazda will be next on board.) Convinced by Toyota to join a coalition that shares common platforms, technologies, batteries and not to forget goals, Subaru, Suzuki, and Mazda add the production and sales power of roundabout six million vehicles produced and sold annually and globally to Toyota’s ten million, making it by far the largest block of companies to join the electric fray.

Before we go into details, here are the bullets I took for you during (and after) a press conference today in Toyota’s Megaweb in Tokyo:

In addition to a BEV-cooperation with Subaru announced yesterday, Toyota did let slip today that its minivehicle-car arm Daihatsu will develop compact EVs together with kei-car giant Suzuki.
    After the meeting, I asked Toyota’s President of Advanced Technologies Development, the affable Shigeki Terashi, what happened to Mazda after a technology-partnership with Toyota was announced in 2015, and doesn’t a company deeply committed to extending the life of the ICE need electric assistance the most? A grinning Terashi replied: “Along with other topics, we have discussed EVs with Mazda for a few years already. Today, I did not reveal all the projects we are working on right now, and Mazda is one of them.”
    Toyota and its partners will make and sell the whole battery-powered spectrum, from electric scooters to full-sized BEV SUVs. Some of them will be available as early as next year.
    Most EVs will be based on a newly developed BEV-platform, called “e-TNGA,” an electric cousin of the modular “Toyota New Generation Architecture” underpinning Toyota’s latest and future models.
    First BEVs will be launched onto the Chinese market in 2020, and then onto the world.
    The U.S. market will likely get an electric Lexus, and/or a Toyota-branded electric sports car.

But wait, there's more!:

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/28424/...ht-behind-bevs
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Somehow this story makes Toyota seem like the hero again.. Yet when GM said pretty much the same thing, but in its own... The world, well at least auto forums, cried death
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust Hidden Content

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

emh (06-11-2019),Greg.Botts (06-12-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Toyota, Subaru, Suzuki, and Mazda Combine on BEVs

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Somehow this story makes Toyota seem like the hero again.. Yet when GM said pretty much the same thing, but in its own... The world, well at least auto forums, cried death
    But wasn't GM talking 'lektrik, while these guys are talking mostly BEV?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Mazda and Subaru are a half step away from being full on Toyota subsidiaries at this point anyway. So, it may not be the conglomeration the title suggests. If this said Toyota, Honda, and Nissan things would be completely different.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I thought GM was talking both
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 3,127 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

The warlord community is alive and well. Americans think journalism is trashing your country.

emh
    Thanks

Indeed. Toyota is dead last among major automakers to get on the electric bandwagon (FCA doesn't count). And they are being praised for finally giving in and grudgingly announcing a few EVs. Even then, most of what they plan to sell are just plug-in hybrids and still are dragging along a few others to spread the risk, just in case...

Same difference. "Electric" and "BEV" both usually refer to a car with no gas tank or engine. That said, most of what Toyota is talking about here are PHEVs, or plug-in hybrids.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

11. The Following User Says Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (06-11-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Indeed. Toyota is dead last among major automakers to get on the electric bandwagon (FCA doesn't count). And they are being praised for finally giving in and grudgingly announcing a few EVs. Even then, most of what they plan to sell are just plug-in hybrids and still are dragging along a few others to spread the risk, just in case...

Same difference. "Electric" and "BEV" both usually refer to a car with no gas tank or engine. That said, most of what Toyota is talking about here are PHEVs, or plug-in hybrids.
    Sorry, my error. I mixed up BEV with PHEV or gas-electric. The devil made me do it!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    Mazda and Subaru are a half step away from being full on Toyota subsidiaries at this point anyway. So, it may not be the conglomeration the title suggests. If this said Toyota, Honda, and Nissan things would be completely different.
    Huh??? Correct me if I'm wrong but prior to this, I dont think any Mazda shared anything with a Toyota and for Subaru, outside the BRZ there isnt anything that shares anything with Toyota. So how are they a step away from being subsidiaries?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

SVT74 (06-11-2019)

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Huh??? Correct me if I'm wrong but prior to this, I dont think any Mazda shared anything with a Toyota and for Subaru, outside the BRZ there isnt anything that shares anything with Toyota. So how are they a step away from being subsidiaries?
    Toyota owns 16.7% of Subaru parent Fuji Heavy and I believe Toyota was planning to take a 5% stake in Mazda a couple of years ago (along with building a jointly-owned manufacturing plant in the US). I don't know if they went through on the latter or not.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

16. The Following User Says Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

SVT74 (06-11-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post

Sorry, my error. I mixed up BEV with PHEV or gas-electric. The devil made me do it!
    It is somewhat confusing... I got the impression at one point that BEV was more associated to having an Electric engine like GM introduced in the Camaro last year.. while the Skateboard chassis under the Tesla or Bolt was designated as EV. Just to categorization. Come to find out.. they are all inclusive

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    EMH beat me to it, but both Mazda and Subaru are looking to Toyota to help keep them afloat without looking overseas. Expect Toyota ownership to grow as time advances.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT74 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (06-12-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

They're missing one BEV maker to form E-Volt-tron.
    Last edited by Mr.Buttons; 06-11-2019 at 10:32 PM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 3,127 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    They're missing one BEV maker to form E-Volt-tron.
    Its typical American reporting, always put down the home team, so that you appear to know what is happening outside and also appear to be well rounded and travelled

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Cadillac CTS; 2012 Impala

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    They might as well. Subaru and Mazda cannot exist on their own they are too weak. The only reason Mazda even made it this far was because they had FORD money and after FORD realized they couldn't manage more than one brand they sold it off to die just like everything else

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information