Tesla May Be Circling the Drain

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tesla May Be Circling the Drain

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Tesla May Be Circling the Drain

Carmageddon Sinks Tesla’s Bonds

by Wolf Richter • May 20, 2019

Wolf Street Article

Tesla is steeped in chaos – and chaos is absolutely the opposite what a complex manufacturing, distribution, and retail operation needs.

When bonds dive, it’s a bad sign. And Tesla’s bonds dove today to new all-time lows, and the yield spiked to new highs. In August 2017, Tesla sold $1.8 billion in senior unsecured notes due in August 2025, with a coupon rate of 5.3%. The most recent transaction at the moment that I see recorded by FINRA/Morningstar this afternoon was at 82.375 cents on the dollar. This is what these bonds have done in their lifetime:

Tesla’s shares are volatile and jump up and down. So they’ve been jumping down, down, down, leaving out the ups in between, as some long-term investors finally threw in the towel. They’re down 47% from their 52-week high last December, a big move in five months, when other stocks have rallied in a historic manner. However, at $205 at the moment, they’re still ridiculously overvalued, according to Tesla’s bonds.

The bonds tell a story of a company that is facing a considerable risk it might default on its debts. If this scenario comes about, it would trigger a restructuring of the company, possibly in bankruptcy court, where creditors would get most or all of the equity, and current shareholders would be mostly or totally wiped out. The bond market is now saying that this risk – the risk that existing shareholders might get wiped out in a restructuring – though still distant, is getting closer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 623 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Re: Tesla May Be Circling the Drain

I would avoid that stock like the plague.

The analysts that used to come on CNBC and make the case that it was a "technology company" were clearly drunk. It's an electric car company, nothing else. Valuation is still crazy and they will never make money.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,057 Posts

Morgan Stanley just slashed their bear case forecast from $97, to $10..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

dslay04 (05-21-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ZQ8
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Damn !

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ZQ8 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-21-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Tesla will be available for pennies on the dollar by early 2020

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Tesla is a tech company that is proving they are not an auto mfg.

Tesla did fine when the found a formula with the S model in an unchallenged market. They then moved to the X and then the problems arrived with an overly complicated model. Quality issues and delays were issues.

The X did not supply the money for the 3 causing delays and they had to fund it with resale offers.

Now that the 3 is here it is not bringing in the money needed for future products. Add to this more challengers are now entering the market with very big image and names like Porsche.

Tesla really needed to be a systems development for EV models and sell or license the the systems to MFGs that can not afford to do it themselves.

Tesla should have done much like Intel an posted stickers on others models with Tesla inside.

Tesla will be bought out or merge some where with stock taking a hit.

The money in the EV segment for now is not in entry level models. VW is losing money and I suspect GM is too on th3 Chevy models.

Cadillac will be a good starting spot and we already know EV is a slow growth segment. It will continue to grow but the rate is limited by technology, cost and infrastructure.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to scott3 For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (05-23-2019)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,014 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

The japanese, koreans or chinese will buy tesla...way before it goes “down the drain”
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (05-21-2019),joey (05-22-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Chevy 3500 CC, LB Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    The japanese, koreans or chinese will buy tesla...way before it goes “down the drain”
    Getting bought out and "circling the drain" are much the same. Maybe in the sense that there maybe enough value for someone to buy out Tesla says that they are not totally worthless, but at the end of the day Telsa will be gone. So the effect is the same. The longer that Tesla holds out the less value there will be in my opinion. If they hold key patents that other OEM's may find valuable, that is their lifeline to getting bought out and salvaging some dignity. I feel for anyone who bought into the "dream". Those buyers better hope that someone buys out Tesla, or you will see broken Tesla's jacked up on blocks in some very nice neighborhoods.
    2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1 AGM/2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1/1LE on order.
    2018 Chevy 3500 CC LB SRW Duramax

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

I don't think so. If you buy a company, you get their debt and Tesla has alot of it. If you wait for bk, then you can buy the assets for a fraction of the cost. Tesla just announced price cuts for the S/X, which seems crazy when they were already losing money. I still would like to know what the price point is when the banks are going to do a margin call on musk. He has like 40% of his shares as collateral for personal loans. If there is a margin call, it is over. He holds so much stock that it would tumble when the banks force the sale.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

My guess is Benz will pick ‘em up cheap at some point. Dump the 3. Expand the high end. Use the Supercharger network for their brands.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Vette Cruze 2015 Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
    Carmageddon Sinks Tesla’s Bonds

by Wolf Richter • May 20, 2019

Wolf Street Article

Tesla is steeped in chaos – and chaos is absolutely the opposite what a complex manufacturing, distribution, and retail operation needs.

When bonds dive, it’s a bad sign. And Tesla’s bonds dove today to new all-time lows, and the yield spiked to new highs. In August 2017, Tesla sold $1.8 billion in senior unsecured notes due in August 2025, with a coupon rate of 5.3%. The most recent transaction at the moment that I see recorded by FINRA/Morningstar this afternoon was at 82.375 cents on the dollar. This is what these bonds have done in their lifetime:

Tesla’s shares are volatile and jump up and down. So they’ve been jumping down, down, down, leaving out the ups in between, as some long-term investors finally threw in the towel. They’re down 47% from their 52-week high last December, a big move in five months, when other stocks have rallied in a historic manner. However, at $205 at the moment, they’re still ridiculously overvalued, according to Tesla’s bonds.

The bonds tell a story of a company that is facing a considerable risk it might default on its debts. If this scenario comes about, it would trigger a restructuring of the company, possibly in bankruptcy court, where creditors would get most or all of the equity, and current shareholders would be mostly or totally wiped out. The bond market is now saying that this risk – the risk that existing shareholders might get wiped out in a restructuring – though still distant, is getting closer.
    Tesla days are numbered. Way too many problems!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,693 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    My guess is Benz will pick ‘em up cheap at some point. Dump the 3. Expand the high end. Use the Supercharger network for their brands.
    I'm thinking Toyota.
    They're going very little with EV's. Well, why do your own when you can pick up Tesla's pieces for pennies on the dollar?
    They used to own the factory, too.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

joey (05-22-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

or FCA, didn't they partner up so they make the emissions line?

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 856 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
    Tesla will be available for pennies on the dollar by early 2020
    They'll be snatched up before then.

Yep, only need to buy a controlling amount of stock. I doubt politically the Chinese will be allowed to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    I'm thinking Toyota.
    They're going very little with EV's. Well, why do your own when you can pick up Tesla's pieces for pennies on the dollar?
    They used to own the factory, too.
    Both Benz + Toyota used to own stock in Tesla - and sold it a few years ago. They sold high, they could buy low, though Merc is coming out with their own E lineup as we speak, so I don't know that they really need them. They may want Gigafactory, though.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

Tesla will not be bought. Even if you pay 0 for the shares, you assume the 23B in liabilities. Only a BK will let a buyer scoop up assets without those liabilities.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (05-23-2019),tripowergto Jan2003 (05-22-2019)

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information