Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

  1. #1
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NYC Area
    Posts
    808
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 197 Times in 126 Posts
    My Ride
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

    Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    2017 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Cadillac Escalade -- 200K miles and still rollin' (current ride)
    Past Rides:
    2014 Buick Verano (Lease)
    2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0 (Lease)
    1998 Camaro Z28 -- RIP 1/2016

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    29,211
    Thanks
    4,530
    Thanked 6,527 Times in 3,172 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    Hopefully with new products, Cadillac and Lincoln follow this trend

  4. #3
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 rmc523's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    1,155
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 847 Times in 423 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    Why are we talking about an article from 5 months ago?

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rmc523 For This Useful Post:

    FenwickHockey65 (05-01-2019),gkr778 (05-01-2019),mbukukanyau (05-01-2019),Ruperts Trooper (05-01-2019)

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    09W
    09W is offline
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6 09W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    638
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 378 Times in 219 Posts

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    Tesla released their April numbers, and they continue to be Really Bad.
    After moving 18.6K in Nov & 25.2K in Dec (obviously with some pull-ahead' due to the halving of the potential tax credit), the Model 3 crashed down to 6.5K units in Jan, 5.7K in Feb, and has apparently 'found their level'; Model 3 sold 10,175 units in March and 10,050 in April.

  8. #5
    Chevrolet VOLT eaton53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,424
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,694 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by 09W View Post
    Tesla released their April numbers, and they continue to be Really Bad.
    After moving 18.6K in Nov & 25.2K in Dec (obviously with some pull-ahead' due to the halving of the potential tax credit), the Model 3 crashed down to 6.5K units in Jan, 5.7K in Feb, and has apparently 'found their level'; Model 3 sold 10,175 units in March and 10,050 in April.
    They're not done losing tax credits, so this may not be their level for long.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award


    2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

  9. #6
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,933
    Thanks
    591
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 1,015 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    ALl cars launch and then sales level off and then decline ...

    Of course the first couple of hundred thousand units monthly sales dropped once the two year waiting list got met with prodiction capability.

    Now mush intelligently shifted to meet demand overseas which is roboust....yes it does mean usa sales have slowed down compared to when tesla was still meeting the demand of all those who were on the waiting list...

    Was it particulary smart to meet demand while the 7500 dollar tax credit existed?
    Of course..

    Lets count how many bolts gm sells. Each month....oh lets count how many jaguar i paces sell each month even with tje $7500 tax credit intact for tjeir vehicle...

    Tesla put the smack down on the bmw 3 series which was its competitor in the USA..

    What other competitor to the bmw 3 series has in over 30 years been able to achieve that?

    Lexus? Mercedes? Audi? Cadillac? Lincolon? Jaguar?

    Dont forget the model 3 kicked serious butt as a sedan even though the market had shifted to cuv s...

    As ugly as the model Y is..lthat should be interesting as well..

    Personally i dont care for that fastback cuv shape...looks like an egg to me...i thought a porsche macan type styled vehicle would have been smarter...

    More space and better looks..

    If anyone wants to slam the tesla? Its why they didnt ise the poor selling model x to decide nit to style the model Y with that horrible hunchback rear.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

  10. #7
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    8,461
    Thanks
    3,804
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 1,890 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by GMOwner View Post
    old article, and selling a ton of pre-orders is not the same as actual sales.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

    gkr778 (05-01-2019)

  12. #8
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    29,211
    Thanks
    4,530
    Thanked 6,527 Times in 3,172 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    ALl cars launch and then sales level off and then decline ...

    Of course the first couple of hundred thousand units monthly sales dropped once the two year waiting list got met with prodiction capability.

    Now mush intelligently shifted to meet demand overseas which is roboust....yes it does mean usa sales have slowed down compared to when tesla was still meeting the demand of all those who were on the waiting list...

    Was it particulary smart to meet demand while the 7500 dollar tax credit existed?
    Of course..

    Lets count how many bolts gm sells. Each month....oh lets count how many jaguar i paces sell each month even with tje $7500 tax credit intact for tjeir vehicle...

    Tesla put the smack down on the bmw 3 series which was its competitor in the USA..

    What other competitor to the bmw 3 series has in over 30 years been able to achieve that?

    Lexus? Mercedes? Audi? Cadillac? Lincolon? Jaguar?

    Dont forget the model 3 kicked serious butt as a sedan even though the market had shifted to cuv s...

    As ugly as the model Y is..lthat should be interesting as well..

    Personally i dont care for that fastback cuv shape...looks like an egg to me...i thought a porsche macan type styled vehicle would have been smarter...

    More space and better looks..

    If anyone wants to slam the tesla? Its why they didnt ise the poor selling model x to decide nit to style the model Y with that horrible hunchback rear.
    Tesla's market position is unique for sure. They can move metal. Here in SoCal, there is so many of them

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

    gkr778 (05-02-2019)

  14. #9
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Anthony Evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    150
    Thanked 75 Times in 47 Posts

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    That’s more evidence that its days are numbered. If you sell for a loss, the more you sell the more you lose. Use your loaf.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Evans For This Useful Post:

    Vagon11 (05-01-2019)

  16. #10
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    635
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 356 Times in 219 Posts
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    Various Fidelity funds dumped 1M shares last qtr. Maybe they know something?

  17. #11
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,548
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 835 Times in 409 Posts

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by 09W View Post
    Tesla released their April numbers, and they continue to be Really Bad.
    After moving 18.6K in Nov & 25.2K in Dec (obviously with some pull-ahead' due to the halving of the potential tax credit), the Model 3 crashed down to 6.5K units in Jan, 5.7K in Feb, and has apparently 'found their level'; Model 3 sold 10,175 units in March and 10,050 in April.
    The Model 3 is a 3 series segment car and 6k units a mo is 3 series level volume. No other car maker has been this successful in taking on the 3 series.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Burns For This Useful Post:

    Let Them Fail (05-02-2019),LONGHORN (05-02-2019)

  19. #12
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NYC Area
    Posts
    808
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 197 Times in 126 Posts
    My Ride
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    old article, and selling a ton of pre-orders is not the same as actual sales.
    What a better way to get free equity by transforming your brand equity into cash? That's the difference between Tesla and its other competitors.

    The concept of GM asking for pre-orders for a Chevy Malibu or even an Escalade are laughable.
    2018 Chevy Tahoe
    2017 Chevy Suburban
    2003 Cadillac Escalade -- 200K miles and still rollin' (current ride)
    Past Rides:
    2014 Buick Verano (Lease)
    2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0 (Lease)
    1998 Camaro Z28 -- RIP 1/2016

  20. #13
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 gkr778's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Southaven, Mississippi USA
    Posts
    2,206
    Thanks
    2,594
    Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,039 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Tesla's market position is unique for sure. They can move metal.
    They can also make "promises" that they don't keep more effectively than any other company that purports to sell automobiles. Unique indeed!
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

  21. #14
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    635
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked 356 Times in 219 Posts
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    Quote Originally Posted by GMOwner View Post
    What a better way to get free equity by transforming your brand equity into cash? That's the difference between Tesla and its other competitors.

    The concept of GM asking for pre-orders for a Chevy Malibu or even an Escalade are laughable.
    Except they do sort of. Dealers have been taking deposits for the C8 for a couple of months now. But GM (or any other manufacturer cannot) because they do not sell direct. The CT6-V was also sold out along with the suicide door conti. And isn't the Bugatti that you have always ordered and get a year or more later.

  22. #15
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    732
    Thanks
    110
    Thanked 109 Times in 58 Posts

    Re: Tesla Just Outsold Mercedes Benz In The US For The First Time

    The April numbers released is just the US sales numbers. This may come as a shock to many here since this is a "GM" site, but the first month and half of 3 production was for Europe and China markets. And yeah, Tesla outsold MB in Germany too.

    But don't worry, Tesla will be bankrupted in a year, I mean does Cadillac even consider them competition worthy of imitating?

  23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-14-2017, 09:45 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 09:42 PM
  3. Suzuki down -74% in April 2009 - outsold by Mitsubishi!
    By Bravada in forum Monthly Sales Results
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 12:57 PM
  4. Fiesta outsold VW Golf last month in Europe!
    By ausrutherford in forum Ford Motor Company Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2009, 04:38 PM
  5. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 02:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2