GM Inside News Forum banner

State Dem tweets ‘F--- Elon Musk’ as Tesla sues, plans to shift jobs elsewhere over c

8K views 73 replies 25 participants last post by  jpd80 
#1 ·
State Dem tweets ‘F--- Elon Musk’ as Tesla sues, plans to shift jobs elsewhere over coronavirus rules
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/california-democrat-reacts-to-tesla-lawsuit-pullout-plan-over-coronavirus-rules-f-elon-musk

May 9, 2020
Dom Calicchio

Earlier Saturday, Musk wrote on Twitter that he planned to move Tesla’s headquarters and “future programs” to Texas and Nevada – adding that the company’s current facility in Fremont, Calif., in the San Francisco Bay area would remain open for some activity “dependent on how Tesla is treated in the future.”

Musk noted for his nearly 34 million Twitter followers that Tesla was “the last carmaker left in CA.” He referred to Tesla’s dispute with Alameda County, where Fremont is located, as “the final straw.”

In its lawsuit, filed Saturday, Tesla referred to the actions of Alameda County as a “power grab.”

“Alameda County’s power grab not only defies the governor’s orders, but offends the federal and California constitution,” the suit claims, according to the Mercury News of San Jose.
In a previous tweet, Musk said Tesla would be filing a lawsuit against Alameda County over the company not being allowed to reopen because of coronavirus-related rules.

“The unelected & ignorant ‘Interim Health Officer’ of Alameda is acting contrary to the Governor, the President, our Constitutional freedoms & just plain common sense,” Musk wrote.

More at link

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a fan of any politician using twitter that way, to let out their emotions and swearing. Personally, I don't like the stuff the president puts out there on twitter and I don't like this Democrat doing the same. I know other people like that stuff, but even if a politician is steaming mad about something, I like it better when they act professionally in public.

With that said....If Musk is as smart as he thinks he is, he would not be letting his emotions get the best of him and threatening a 100% pullout right now. What Tesla needs is to get production up and running asap...you can't get a full factory in Nevada or Texas up and running in days. He NEEDS that Fremont factory open. Negotiate with a partial pullout, but you can't be threatening a 100% pullout of both the factory and the headquarters.

#3 ·
Twitter, Facebook and any other social media is bad because it is right there, ready to use in the heat of the moment. Though I am a fan of Trump, I do wish he'd stay away from Twitter.

GE did exactly the same to Connecticut. My governor, typically the least popular one in the country, laid out his plan to tax, tax, tax and place a really unfair burden on corporations. GE said if you do that we are moving our HQ out, taking all of those high paying jobs and therefore tax collections. GE followed through and left a couple of years ago.

#4 ·
Musk’s first mistake was starting in California. Not exactly known for being Uber friendly to manufacturers. Still, he’s trying to make a point, personal freedom and the right to life, liberty and happiness, i.e. the right to work guaranteed by the Constitution has to be a check on the power of the bureaucrats. Musk has offered to let his employees decide on whether to risk coming back to work with a guarantee of no reprisals if they choose to stay home. Seems pretty fair. Corona is not going away anytime soon and people need to work. No good answer, but musk realizes that continuing to kill the economy will not fix the pandemic. As for the state legislator, my experience is that most people would be really scared if they knew what low watt bulbs are running for office at that level.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm with the duly elected politician on this one. California will have plenty of businesses left if Musk follows through on his threat. California needs to show the peons, even the wealthy ones, that the State is omnipotent.

Musk mistakenly believes his goal is to save the world with electric cars and also conquer the Martians. Wrong! Musk's enterprises exists solely to pay taxes to the Great State of California. After all, government has proven repeatedly over many decades that they are much better suited at spending all your money than you are.

Musk should drop his frivolous lawsuit, apologize for his arrogance, move all Tesla and SpaceX operations in-state, and voluntarily double his tax payments.

Utopia is at hand people. Let's not allow one greedy capitalist to ruin it for the rest of us.

#8 ·
I'm with the duly elected politician on this one. California will have plenty of businesses left if Musk follows through on his threat. California needs to show the peons, even the wealthy ones, that the State is omnipotent.

Musk mistakenly believes his goal is to save the world with electric cars and conquer the Martians. Wrong! Musk's enterprises exists solely to pay taxes to the Great State of California. After all, government has proven repeatedly over many decades that they are much better suited at spending all your money than you are.

Musk should drop his frivolous lawsuit, apologize for his arrogance, move all Tesla and SpaceX operations in-state, and voluntarily double his tax payments.

Utopia is at hand people. Let's not allow one greedy capitalist to ruin it for the rest of us.
California does have a train to build!

#7 ·
Tesla does have those outdoor tent assembly lines - joking aside, they'd be perfect to greatly reduce the chance of passing on COVID19. Not sure how extensive those outdoor lines were - just final assembly or could he make an entire car in a tent?

#9 ·
Perhaps Elon is just creating a local CA scapegoat to blame in the future for his impending dismal 2nd 1/4 "earnings". Half of that 1/4's US production has already been lost. Another week or two really does hurt his outlook drastically. Look... SQUIRREL!!

Reactions: richmond2000
#10 ·
Elon should get it going yesterday on the Texas Assembly Plant. I'm sure Sam Houston or some other government official would be glad to grant boo coo tax credits.

Follow the T's, Musk. Toyoter, Tesla...

As for Tweeter, I'm not on there and hardly ever go to FecesBook because management is subversive. Musk, Trump, some nobody Californica political hack, I think they all must have a trace of mania to waste all their time there.

But...MOVE, ELON, MOVE!! Don't waste another minute. :drive:

#18 ·
+1
There's a certain irony regarding Musk's tussle with government entities. The pyramid scheme known as Tesla wouldn't exist without government favors and handouts, including but not limited to tax breaks, subsidies, loans and loan guarantees, abatements, and regulatory schemes. Similarly, SpaceX wouldn't have much business if not for government contracts.

No one should mistake Musk as a friend of limited government, the free market, or Constitutional freedoms. On this planet or on Mars.

#13 ·
The virus aside, I cant believe it makes sense to operate on that scale anyway in Cali. Save ton of money and headaches and take your plant somewhere else. Build a new plant, and when its done switch locations. Do it on the back of the virus issues (maybe teach the Gov. a lesson) but know that it simply is better business regardless.

#15 ·
This article seems to be an update to the situation....just posted about an hour ago (3:30pm eastern give or take a few minutes.)

Apparently, they are planning on opening/running the factory anyway, despite the county telling them they can't.

"Tesla says it has started the process to resume operations and released a plan to bring its employees and contractors back to work, amid an escalating dispute with local health authorities in California over a shelter-in-place order that has kept the automaker’s Fremont factory idle during the coronavirus pandemic."

full article here: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/10/coronavirus-teslas-plan-to-bring-employees-back-to-work.html

#16 ·
It seems all too often Musk gets his mouth and emotions in front of the problem and does the proverbial shooting himself in the foot. He needs to apologize. His threat of leaving Cali will take some time as well, ya cant just build or open up a new plant overnight. That was his first mistake being there to begin with knowing how things operate in the Golden State.

#19 ·
Keep in mind Elon got the former GM/Toyota plant in Freemont for pennies on the dollar. Now he's established enough to escape if he so chooses. But... the Cali greenies LOVE Tesla. Will they changes their opinion if he uproots and leaves? Probably won't really matter.

Reactions: eklauss and GMOwner
#31 ·
Hey! He could move it to Michig...oh never mind. Ohio?

#44 ·
Looks like the California politicians blinked first. Or will. https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/11/...utdown-factory-production-model-3-y-elon-musk

Personally, I think it's a great idea for Musk to defeat California before nuking Mars. Then he can completely focus on payback for The War of the Worlds. Still miffed about that one myself. Even the remake with Tom Cruise.

Say, maybe he could douse the Martians with Covid 19 instead of roasting them with thermonuclear warheads. We should have herd immunity by the time he gets there. Take them out with bugs again and walk right in. That would be awesome!

Revenge is sweet. Double revenge twice so.

#48 ·
In the last 2 years, I have come to hate both extreme wings of the parties, both of them. I always thought the 'middle ground' moderates were nothing more than people who got in the way of progress.

However, the way BOTH sides of the political spectrum act, the left wing and right wing, make me long for the days of total centrist moderates.

#50 ·
I’m not a trump supporter but how can you really believe the response to the pandemic was his fault? Oh CNN is happy to spew this nonsense but the reality is that everyone got treated. No one ran out of beds or ventilators. Besides, this really doesn’t fall on the federal government, why isn’t Cuomo getting bashed for his failure to close NY early? This represents almost 1/2 of all deaths in the US. Trump had no power to close anything in NY. Cuomo is getting a pass from the liberal media which is BS.

#52 ·
So why do you insist on going through life that way? Cuomo could have placed people flying in to the NY airports from Europe and China, but didn't. Trump banned flights from China and I bet you were one of the senseless haters that called him racist for that. Mayors make decisions that concern their citizens and seek help from their Governor if it's more than they have resources for. Governors do the same, seeking help from the feds. Presidents don't micromanage cities or states, Obama didn't for H1N1.

So how many degrees do you have? If you call CNN or MSNBC information, then you've limited what you can determine from real facts.

#53 · (Edited)
None of this is true, stop going through life deaf, blind, and stupid.

Airports are Federal Jurisdiction, not state duh. Cheesedoodle didn't ban flights from China. People didn't call him a racist for limiting very little travel from China and funnelling all international flights to 12 different major cities, that all became hotspots by the way, that's just an altright dog whistle. Presidents manage countrywide emergencies, Governors manage statewide emergencies, and Mayors manage citywide emergencies.

Only fools watch cable news, they are all trash, smart people know this, why don't you?

#54 ·
Where would you suggest we gt our news from?

Most newspapers have a agenda or a bias that shows in their opinion pieces.

The major US networks haven't a clue what is happening in the rest of the world.

Internet, fringe sites, sorry my tin foil hat is at the cleaners.

For me if I want to know what is happening in the world I watch either BBC or Al Jazeera, both are very good without the crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.