The Saleen S1 Is a True Driver's Car

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: The Saleen S1 Is a True Driver's Car

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,971 Times in 972 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

The tuner-turned-carmaker's latest vision is a mid-engine sports car with 450 horsepower and tons of feel.
    BY MATT FARAH
    JAN 13, 2020
    roadandtrack.com

Steve Saleen and his small team of dedicated racers face an uphill battle. You see, relatively speaking, building a supercar like the the S7 is easy, because you don’t have to build or sell very many of them. As such, you’re able to make all kinds of compromises in service of performance; nobody expects Porsche-level build quality from a homologated, class-winning FIA GT car.

That's not to demean the S7. In fact, all 100 built for street use were sold. But I’ve actually driven a Saleen S7, and, to put it kindly, it is not a vehicle fit for mass consumption. It’s not even really fit for… humans? It made me happy to learn that two of the 100 S7s live at the Thermal Club, a private race track outside Palm Springs, where the cars can stretch their legs under the heels of (hopefully) very small, flexible owners.

We stood by a small fleet of new S1 Cup and GT4 race cars, while Steve Saleen told us the team’s modest ethos. To paraphrase, they want to build a lightweight, agile and very fast Saleen-branded sports car out of aluminum and carbon fiber. They want the street version of the car to weigh under 3000 lbs at the curb, and make 450 horsepower from a turbocharged four-cylinder, with either a six-speed manual or optional dual-clutch transmission. Lofty goals, but a righteous pursuit. That’s directly into the wheelhouse of the Porsche Cayman GT4 and Lotus Evora GT, two of our favorite cars, no qualifiers needed.

Plus, the C8 Corvette has entered the mix. Thankfully, the S1 isn't some $3.7-million collection centerpiece that claims 5000 hp, but whoops actually doesn’t have a cooling system, and is actually coachwork resting on a Funny Car. When you’re marketing a car and expecting folks to come out of Porsche and Lotus and into your product, it needs to be very, very good.
    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Images courtesy of, and credited to, roadandtrack.com

"La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Later this year.

Re: The Saleen S1 Is a True Driver's Car

So this is the Saleen solution?
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Sierra

The rear looks great but the front is a bit awful.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 715 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

My dream ride has always been an Air Cooled 911. A Driver's Car. Not extreme at anything, but you had better be behind the Wheel while driving it.

We (about 7 of us) use to Ice Race at my Cabin. I would plow a road course on the Ice, and we would go at it. Only Rules were 4 cylinder, RWD, so they Rides of Choice started as Chevettes/Acadians. It was a Hoot.

After a game of Lake Tag, the first Spring, well my Acadian needed Replacing after a 70mph incident. I found a 1978 Corolla Hatch, and a 1978 Celica Notch Super Fun Car!, The Celica would lap the Vettes, my Buddies took all of their cars home after that.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information