Review Worth Noting: "Best American Luxury Car In A Generation"

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review Worth Noting: "Best American Luxury Car In A Generation"

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,150 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Review Worth Noting: "Best American Luxury Car In A Generation"

Road & Track magazine
    May 25, 2020

Photo Credit: Ford Motor Company

One year ago, I drove a Lincoln Navigator Black Label. Imposing, smooth, opulent. Part of me thought that Lincoln—of all companies—had built a better luxury vehicle than the Mercedes S-Class. For $30,000 less you could have just as much comfort, more space, and far more approachable technology. But it was rough around the edges, not the all-around stunner that the Mercedes was and is. A couple of years later, though, I'm wondering if Lincoln might just have bested Mercedes, with an even cheaper product.

When the Aviator bowed, I already knew it had a shot at really delivering on what Lincoln promised. Three major issues hold back the Navigator: its body-on-frame construction makes it less of a high-speed, buttoned-down luxury cruiser; the driver-assist tech is a generation behind other luxury flagships; and some details feel a little too close to what you'd find on a Ford. The Aviator, with its unibody architecture, Co-Pilot 360 semi-autonomous driver's aids, and relentless attention to detail, seems to solve all of that.

If the Navigator's biggest problem is that it tries to match, not beat, other luxury flagships, the Aviator's boundless ambition sets a great precedent for the brand. Look at the styling. To my eye, this is the first SUV since 2013 to match the current Range Rover's elegance and athleticism, with even more intricate detailing. The Aviator beat the rest of the luxury crossover field in offering smartphone-as-key capability (Tesla offers it on the Model 3 and promises it on other models "soon"). Its adaptive suspension uses cameras to adjust to the road ahead, tech usually reserved for S-Class-level vehicles. Even the Aviator's door chime is better than the competition's, composed by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra to be delicate, not grating.

These new achievements join an already broad slate of Lincoln core competencies. The "perfect position" seats, though finicky and overly adjustable, are sublime once you find the perfect position. The audio system is best-in-class, handily beating anything BMW, Mercedes, or even Volvo will sell you. (Ultra-high end Meridian gear in top-spec Range Rovers still has the Lincoln beat, but that's damned good company to keep.) The ride is sublime and the cabin is whisper quiet.

Oh, that cabin. It is unquestionably one of the best on sale. It's got the stunning wow-factor of a Volvo or Mercedes, but it's far more usable than either. Physical controls are laid out clearly, with an easy and simple touchscreen handling more complicated tasks. The software is a half-step behind the best in the business, but Lincoln is proving that you can make a gorgeous cockpit that's usable and attractive.

Those keeping track of luxury car best practices will recognize that Lincoln has nailed just about every one. The key stuff—the seats, the ride, the interior—was solved in the first generation of new Lincoln products. But as the reborn company matures, the Aviator represents the company paying attention to the details. No longer content to be very good, Lincoln is shooting for best-in-the-business.
    Review continues (all is not perfect by the way), at the link above.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-31-2020),DequindreToo (05-28-2020),Extreme4x4 (05-29-2020),InCogKneeToe (06-02-2020),SP1966 (05-28-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,150 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: Review Worth Noting: "Best American Luxury Car In A Generation"

I remember seeing the Aviator as a concept at the NY Auto Show (remember what an "auto show" is?) a few years ago.

I was absolutely floored. It was stunning in concept form, and the conversion to production product seems to have carried over the excitement.

Ford really nailed this one.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-31-2020),1999 White C5 Coupe (05-28-2020),Al63240 (05-28-2020),buildacariwant (05-28-2020),Extreme4x4 (05-29-2020),MercerGrad (05-28-2020),Mr.Buttons (05-29-2020),Neanderthal (05-28-2020),SP1966 (05-28-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

This is well outside my budget, but a very stunning vehicle that I'd love to see parked in my garage.
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Z Fury For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (05-29-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

The Aviator is a pretty great car, the PHEV not withstanding. I'm definitely a PHEV skeptic and critic, particularly in this genre. Low range, weak EV motors, complicated refinement. Nothing is more nonsensical than plugging a gas car in for a few EV miles and/or boost. I know this is mostly to meet regulatory demands in China and Europe, but in North America it's really a momentary niche.

I would love an Aviator, but it's a little bigger/longer than I wanted and the leasing on them have been pretty high. The Nautilus is still the right vehicle size for me.
    Last edited by BORG; 05-28-2020 at 03:22 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

eklauss (05-29-2020),Mr.Buttons (05-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,314 Times in 4,560 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Good for Ford! Not my cup of tea, but glad they received very positive reviews!

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 994 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
    This is well outside my budget, but a very stunning vehicle that I'd love to see parked in my garage.
    I think they nailed it inside and out. I'd skip the PHEV and get either a Reserve or Black Label. First Lincoln I've wanted since the original Navigator!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (05-29-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Engelman's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10ZR1/'13 XTS/'15 Escalade/

"IT'S NOT A CAR" .....It's a damn SUV. What's the new habit everyone has now calling TRUCKS, cars...? This is part of the problem why we can't sell automobiles. The manufacturers want you to believe it's a car.....IT'S NOT. They want you to believe this so they can stop making real cars and shove SUV's down everyones throat.

With regard to the article.....I believe that Lincoln has their act together much more than Cadillac.... Their SUV's all have names.....they are much more luxurious than Cadillacs, even the Escalade, with the stolen dash from Escala......offer more choices of EVERYTHING..

My friend's 2019 Navigator Black Label is so much more luxurious than my 2017 Escalade Platinum that sits in the garage 95% of the time. I only drive it when my sister comes to visit from Augusta on the train (she gets a bedroom because she brings 20 suitcases and that damn cat).

The second row of seats in my Escalade looks awful because there is NO console between the seats....just a big, empty, space.......I'll have the damn thing until I die, or my sister does. Christ, if the cat died I could eliminate about six suitcases.........

Anyway, in my opinion, the Lincoln's have it all over the Cadillacs, and probably the Benz'ses too. In fact, the only SUV that I like as well as my friend's Navigator, is the Bently Bentayga, but, fortunately, I haven't lost my mind yet.........$200,000-$400,000 for a TRUCK....not me!
    Jake

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Engelman For This Useful Post:

Al465 (05-31-2020),Citation84 (05-29-2020),ClassyEldo (05-31-2020),Extreme4x4 (05-29-2020),Robert1969 (06-03-2020),ryannel2003 (05-28-2020),sdotjeezy (05-28-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

The Navigator woke up Caddy and they responded nicely with the new model. Otherwise I think Caddy has long taken that customer for granted by the strength of their brand alone. I still don't think the interior of the Escalade has anything on Navigator's ultra-posh design, instead favoring of a more striking technical design. These brands still have very different approaches to the same customers. While Caddy is developing an OLED dashboard, Lincoln hires a composer and orchestra for its door chimes.

I do think GM has made Caddy a far bigger priority because of their electrification ambition, that's not the case for Lincoln. I am a little concerned about Lincoln's future under the current administration which seems to have no direction for them. The lack of a BEV until MY 2024 is going to be a noticeable gap for them.
    Last edited by BORG; 05-28-2020 at 06:03 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

SP1966 (05-28-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,241 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post
    "IT'S NOT A CAR" .....It's a damn SUV. What's the new habit everyone has now calling TRUCKS, cars...? This is part of the problem why we can't sell automobiles. The manufacturers want you to believe it's a car.....IT'S NOT. They want you to believe this so they can stop making real cars and shove SUV's down everyones throat.

With regard to the article.....I believe that Lincoln has their act together much more than Cadillac.... Their SUV's all have names.....they are much more luxurious than Cadillacs, even the Escalade, with the stolen dash from Escala......offer more choices of EVERYTHING..

My friend's 2019 Navigator Black Label is so much more luxurious than my 2017 Escalade Platinum that sits in the garage 95% of the time. I only drive it when my sister comes to visit from Augusta on the train (she gets a bedroom because she brings 20 suitcases and that damn cat).

The second row of seats in my Escalade looks awful because there is NO console between the seats....just a big, empty, space.......I'll have the damn thing until I die, or my sister does. Christ, if the cat died I could eliminate about six suitcases.........

Anyway, in my opinion, the Lincoln's have it all over the Cadillacs, and probably the Benz'ses too. In fact, the only SUV that I like as well as my friend's Navigator, is the Bently Bentayga, but, fortunately, I haven't lost my mind yet.........$200,000-$400,000 for a TRUCK....not me!
    I'm glad you said it and not me...The Escalade does have that fantastic dash design with the amazing screen but the overall advantage of interior design stops there. It kinda comes off as a flip house (I just started dabbling in investment properties pre COVID outbreak) where the flipper put together a fantastic looking kitchen and maybe greatroom but used builder grade materials to pass basic muster everywhere else in the house. I want the whole shebang in an Escalade, rear seat consoles w/ built in mini fridges, 2nd rows that have the capability to slide on a "track" on the back of the 3rd row seats so that when the 3rd row is folded down, the 2nd row can go full on executive mode...**** like that is what i want to see. To me, and this is again, just my opinion, Cadillac did the bare minimum to give the "impression" that it exceeded the Navigator instead of full on destroying it.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (06-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,314 Times in 4,560 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    The Navigator woke up Caddy and they responded nicely with the new model. Otherwise I think Caddy has long taken that customer for granted by the strength of their brand alone. I still don't think the interior of the Escalade has anything on Navigator's ultra-posh design, instead favoring of a more striking technical design. These brands still have very different approaches to the same customers. While Caddy is developing an OLED dashboard, Lincoln hires a composer and orchestra for its door chimes.

I do think GM has made Caddy a far bigger priority because of their electrification ambition, that's not the case for Lincoln. I am a little concerned about Lincoln's future under the current administration which seems to have no direction for them. The lack of a BEV until MY 2024 is going to be a noticeable gap for them.
    Ahem... https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...models-296513/

Agreed that the two approaches appeal to different people, I love the new Escalade interior and will take it any day over the Navigator.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,154 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post

Depends upon your perspective, and mine is if the vehicle isn't body on frame it isn't really a truck. These three row crossovers are just tall station wagons if you ask me!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SP1966 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (05-29-2020),Neanderthal (05-28-2020),VS Ute 5Litre (05-29-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,733 Times in 4,667 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    Depends upon your perspective, and mine is if the vehicle isn't body on frame it isn't really a truck. These three row crossovers are just tall station wagons if you ask me!
    Tall wagons. Yup.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,627 Times in 3,686 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

This is it in my opinion

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-01-2020),ClassyEldo (05-31-2020),criticalmass (06-01-2020),Engelman (05-29-2020),glssmann1 (05-30-2020),ksr (06-01-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Road & Track magazine
    May 25, 2020

Photo Credit: Ford Motor Company

Review continues (all is not perfect by the way), at the link above.

This all sounds nice and all yet Cadillac models still outsell Lincoln’s. Seems like GM knows what Americans want more than Lincoln does.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,627 Times in 3,686 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

When you see the Lincoln in person, it’s just another tall wagon.. just get a Tahoe. That’s what most people do

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information