Ram wants its midsize truck situation 'fixed soon' - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ram wants its midsize truck situation 'fixed soon'

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 749 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Re: Ram wants its midsize truck situation 'fixed soon'

At least we know that Mopar and FCA has been good at keeping things under wraps until the months leading to the release. Better than being teased with it for years, releasing it, then having to wait a year.

But I'm definitely curious about how they'll do that, especially with the Gladiator. Wasn't sure about the proportions stock, but after seeing quite a few of them at the Overland Expo West with a lift and 37's/40's, they look awesome. And the fact that they tow 7k lbs, can offroad, and have a removable top... that's going to be a good contender for the midsize truck market. If I were in the market for a fullsize truck ever again, I'd even strongly consider one... kind of the best of all worlds.

But another note on the Overland world, surprised to see that overland is where the midsized trucks are. Tacoma owns that world, but there were a decent amount of Colorados (no ZR2's), and there were starting to be a few Rangers even. Surprisingly, in the fullsize world, Ram dominated the field. Not sure if I even saw a Silverado or Sierra there... probably goes along with being unable to fit a good offroad tire without going needlessly sky high... and being able to more easily modify the wheelwells if you wanted to cram 40's in.

The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,098 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    I seem to also remember reading something like that. At that time it seemed like Ram was content with selling the older 1500 at a competitive price with the competitions' midsizers.
    good "cover up" while a NEW midsizer is readied as it will take a few years to spin out a RAM 750 and the "classic" will NEED to be replaced in a few years unless FCA wants to keep lowering the price

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 1,391 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    good "cover up" while a NEW midsizer is readied as it will take a few years to spin out a RAM 750 and the "classic" will NEED to be replaced in a few years unless FCA wants to keep lowering the price
    Well, that seemed to be the plan when they said they didn't want to build a midsizer (all "on the record"). Behind the scenes, maybe they had already begun to plan for a midsize truck. And keeping the Classic 1500 & maybe dropping the price doesn't seem like a completely bad idea. The tooling should have long been paid for. The only real problem is when you go looking for parts & accessories. You say "2019 Ram 1500" & they ask "Classic"? I have to tell them no. I agree that the Classic will have to retire at some time, but if it sells well & pads the bottom line, who would seriously end production of it?
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 749 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    The only real problem is when you go looking for parts & accessories. You say "2019 Ram 1500" & they ask "Classic"? I have to tell them no. I agree that the Classic will have to retire at some time, but if it sells well & pads the bottom line, who would seriously end production of it?
    I remember that fun in my college days working at Autozone, with the Silverado and Malibu classics!
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    That might work and think the next Gen Durango/Grand Cherokee are coming soon.

OTOH, FCA might mimic Toyota and build both the Dakota and RAM from the same architecture, as Toyota will on the next Gen Tundra/Tacoma and is something GM should consider and can see Ford eventually basing the Ranger/Bronco/F-Series/Expedition/Navigator and Transit from a common architecture and sharing powertrains with the Explorer/Aviator.
    THIS kind of thinking is so long overdue!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chassis Guy For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (05-28-2019)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Onyx Black Yukon Denali

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    That might work and think the next Gen Durango/Grand Cherokee are coming soon.

OTOH, FCA might mimic Toyota and build both the Dakota and RAM from the same architecture, as Toyota will on the next Gen Tundra/Tacoma and is something GM should consider and can see Ford eventually basing the Ranger/Bronco/F-Series/Expedition/Navigator and Transit from a common architecture and sharing powertrains with the Explorer/Aviator.
    Obviously from your statement, you are not aware of the GM VSS-T, or Vehicle Strategy Set*– Truck. Look that up, read it then repost your statement.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks

Why does Ram care about it's midsize truck situation when it shares showroom space w/ the Gladiator? This concern would make sense if Ram sold through standalone dealerships...I'll go out on a limb and say that 99% of Rams are sold out of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram/Fiat(??) dealers.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,098 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Why does Ram care about it's midsize truck situation when it shares showroom space w/ the Gladiator? This concern would make sense if Ram sold through standalone dealerships...I'll go out on a limb and say that 99% of Rams are sold out of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram/Fiat(??) dealers.
    a RAM midsizer will take care of the lower end of the market and remove ANY pressure for RAM/JEEP to discount the Gladiator OR the NEW gen ram beyond there NORMAL levels
    at some point the 4th gen is going to NEED to be replaced / retired

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 3,127 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Dodge might want it’s truck situation fixed too

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks

a RAM midsizer will take care of the lower end of the market and remove ANY pressure for RAM/JEEP to discount the Gladiator OR the NEW gen ram beyond there NORMAL levels
    Good point, besides the Gladiator is more of a niche product and should remain that way. Like I said earlier, take the Durango...chop off the rear cargo section attach a bed and "Mission Accomplished" for little to no R&D.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

THAT is why. Gladiator is NOT cheap...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 1,334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FactChecker90803 View Post
    Obviously from your statement, you are not aware of the GM VSS-T, or Vehicle Strategy Set*– Truck. Look that up, read it then repost your statement.
    You mean something GM should have done 10 years ago when I mentioned it to the management???

Did not do it then and will probably screw it up this time with far to much emphasis in all of the wrong places with Chevy getting about 100 new vehicles it doesn't need while the other GM brands starve.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 1,334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Good point, besides the Gladiator is more of a niche product and should remain that way. Like I said earlier, take the Durango...chop off the rear cargo section attach a bed and "Mission Accomplished" for little to no R&D.
    RAM has played with a Ridgeline concept before and would not doubt it is looking at the Durango as a possibility and could do another "Uniframe" like the Comanche and create a new Dakota AND Comanche from it, giving it two Trucks with the Dakota going after the Commercial Truck/Mainstream Truck market and Comanche being FCA's "Grand Cherokee" Pickup which of course is exactly what it would be and FCA could go for the premium pricing with it.

And still say there will be a Full Size Jeep Truck soon since Jeep Trucks and any other "Non-Wrangler based" vehicle is FCA's GMC Luxury Truck/SUV brand since GM opened the door for them by not building a GMC "Wrangler" and mailing it in on the new Sierra Denali's features.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information