Ram wants its midsize truck situation 'fixed soon'

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ram wants its midsize truck situation 'fixed soon'

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 905 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Clues point to Mexico assembly, probably a couple years away
    JONATHON RAMSEY
    May 6th 2019
    autoblog.com

The rumors of a midsize Ram pickup are like a metronome — sometimes in motion, sometimes dead. This week the rumor is alive, so reports Automotive News. Fiat Chrysler CEO Mike Manley admitted during an earnings call that the lack of a mid-sizer is "a clear hole in our portfolio," and that the Ram product development team is "focused on it." Puzzling that out means finding "a cost-effective platform in a region where we can build it with low cost and it still being applicable in the market." But he wants a solution found soon.

During the product roadmap presentation FCA made in June last year, late CEO Sergio Marchionne said the middling pickup would be built in Mexico. That tidbit came after years of Marchionne saying the brand would get in the segment, only to have the idea shot down by Ram bosses. At the 2012 Detroit Auto Show, a year after the midsize Dodge Dakota went off the market, Marchionne said the brand would reinstate a new-generation Dakota, with a better-than-50% chance it would be unibody. In 2013, then-Ram president Reid Bigland said the chances were tiny because the numbers didn't add up. The two men got on the same page, in favor of, in 2014. In March 2016, Marchionne said, "I like that space a lot," and "It's a good space to be in." Exactly one month later, then-Ram CEO Bog Hegbloom said the idea was dead because he couldn't make a business case for it.

Come early 2018, even Marchionne had joined the naysayers. He told Automobile, "We did not think it was necessary to re-enter that market after our last experience." The snag was, and remains, that a smaller truck has "a cost structure very similar to our Ram 1500. We have not found an economic way to get this done." Four months later, there's a midsize pickup on the product roadmap. Then, at this year's New York Auto Show, Ram Trucks boss Jim Morrison told us Ram had no plans yet for a smaller pickup, although the division continues to look at its options.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 628 Posts

Re: Ram wants its midsize truck situation 'fixed soon'

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Clues point to Mexico assembly, probably a couple years away
    JONATHON RAMSEY
    May 6th 2019
    autoblog.com

The rumors of a midsize Ram pickup are like a metronome — sometimes in motion, sometimes dead. This week the rumor is alive, so reports Automotive News. Fiat Chrysler CEO Mike Manley admitted during an earnings call that the lack of a mid-sizer is "a clear hole in our portfolio," and that the Ram product development team is "focused on it." Puzzling that out means finding "a cost-effective platform in a region where we can build it with low cost and it still being applicable in the market." But he wants a solution found soon.

During the product roadmap presentation FCA made in June last year, late CEO Sergio Marchionne said the middling pickup would be built in Mexico. That tidbit came after years of Marchionne saying the brand would get in the segment, only to have the idea shot down by Ram bosses. At the 2012 Detroit Auto Show, a year after the midsize Dodge Dakota went off the market, Marchionne said the brand would reinstate a new-generation Dakota, with a better-than-50% chance it would be unibody. In 2013, then-Ram president Reid Bigland said the chances were tiny because the numbers didn't add up. The two men got on the same page, in favor of, in 2014. In March 2016, Marchionne said, "I like that space a lot," and "It's a good space to be in." Exactly one month later, then-Ram CEO Bog Hegbloom said the idea was dead because he couldn't make a business case for it.

Come early 2018, even Marchionne had joined the naysayers. He told Automobile, "We did not think it was necessary to re-enter that market after our last experience." The snag was, and remains, that a smaller truck has "a cost structure very similar to our Ram 1500. We have not found an economic way to get this done." Four months later, there's a midsize pickup on the product roadmap. Then, at this year's New York Auto Show, Ram Trucks boss Jim Morrison told us Ram had no plans yet for a smaller pickup, although the division continues to look at its options.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    Can't be that hard...remove the top of the Durango's cargo section, slap a Ram 1500 inspired front end on it and voila.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (05-22-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Can't be that hard...remove the top of the Durango's cargo section, slap a Ram 1500 inspired front end on it and voila.
    That might work and think the next Gen Durango/Grand Cherokee are coming soon.

OTOH, FCA might mimic Toyota and build both the Dakota and RAM from the same architecture, as Toyota will on the next Gen Tundra/Tacoma and is something GM should consider and can see Ford eventually basing the Ranger/Bronco/F-Series/Expedition/Navigator and Transit from a common architecture and sharing powertrains with the Explorer/Aviator.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (05-23-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post

OTOH, FCA might mimic Toyota and build both the Dakota and RAM from the same architecture, as Toyota will on the next Gen Tundra/Tacoma and is something GM should consider and can see Ford eventually basing the Ranger/Bronco/F-Series/Expedition/Navigator and Transit from a common architecture and sharing powertrains with the Explorer/Aviator.
    Might work? Hell Honda is damn near winning every midsize truck comparison w/ a FWD minivan w/ a cargo bed.

I assumed the Durango (or whatever follows) was shifting to Ram after the current generation was done. Ford would be better off positioning the next Ranger as such as well. They've been getting hammered on ride quality, so swithing to a unibody Explorer/Avi platform would do it a huge favor.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,158 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

my thoughts would be USE the NEW frame under the JEEP truck and "ram-afy" it and IFS front end + air suspension on higher models and lux+load capacity OVER off road prowess

11. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 831 Posts

Didn't Nissan do the same with the Titan and Frontier?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 639 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Can't half ass it. Ford did that with the Ranger and it's getting panned for it.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Durango is going BOF while GC is staying Unibody with a 3rd row model. they could simply use Ram 1500 as that will be the basis for Durango/Wagoneer & Grand Wagoneer..they could probably use the Gladiator but that might be to crude of a platform for a more Average joe Midsize Pickup even with Ram Suspensions.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,170 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

I guess FCA doesn't have an international mid-sized truck like GM and Ford? Designing a totally new platform is definitely going to be slow and expensive verses adapting one for US use.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,082 Times in 1,085 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    I guess FCA doesn't have an international mid-sized truck like GM and Ford?
    They do sell a rebadged Mitsubishi L200/Triton as the Ram 1200 and Fiat Fullback in Europe, South America, and the Middle East.

God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Use the same 8 speed and the 3.6 and it would fly off the lots.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-28-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,158 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    Use the same 8 speed and the 3.6 and it would fly off the lots.
    use the gladiator PT options so 3.6 + T4 + diesel with "E torque" on the petrol engines

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I feel like this is a very recent change of direction. I swear there was an article posted here just a few months back that said the had no immediate interest in competing in the mid-size market.
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

Thanks
    Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,889 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    my thoughts would be USE the NEW frame under the JEEP truck and "ram-afy" it and IFS front end + air suspension on higher models and lux+load capacity OVER off road prowess
    That's what I was kind of thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    They do sell a rebadged Mitsubishi L200/Triton as the Ram 1200 and Fiat Fullback in Europe, South America, and the Middle East.

Interesting idea. it doesn't look bad either, just Ram-ify it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
    I feel like this is a very recent change of direction. I swear there was an article posted here just a few months back that said the had no immediate interest in competing in the mid-size market.
    I seem to remember this as well. It must be that they all the once want in on the action too even though they thought there would be none.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,424 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Ram 1500, '69 GMC 2500

Quote Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
    I seem to also remember reading something like that. At that time it seemed like Ram was content with selling the older 1500 at a competitive price with the competitions' midsizers.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information