Ram boss thinks midsize truck could fit in the lineup

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ram boss thinks midsize truck could fit in the lineup

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 898 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Mar 31st 2016
    AutoBlog.com

The execs at Ram are changing their tune about the possibility of a midsize truck in the US. Nothing is certain yet, but the chances now look a little more favorable.

"I think there's opportunity there in the US if you look at what's happened in the mid-size segment here – significant growth last year," Jeep and Ram boss Mike Manley told the Detroit News. "I think that space is big enough, certainly, to have two offerings there."

The other product that Manley alludes to is the forthcoming Jeep Wrangler-based pickup that's due in 2017. However, there might not be much customer overlap between the Jeep and those looking for a more traditional Ram-branded model.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 898 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Ram boss thinks midsize truck could fit in the lineup

Manley admitted the most likely candidate for a midsize Ram would be for the company to use an existing Fiat platform, according to the News. One possibility could be rebranding the Fiat Toro pickup, but it's rather small at 20-inches shorter than a Chevrolet Colorado.
    I see his point, but with so many "mid-sized" trucks on sale, or coming soon, it might be a good idea to offer something closer to a "traditional" small pickup truck. At the very least, it would allow Ram to offer something unique in the market. The last time a real small truck was around was the last Ranger, and if the rumors are true, the next one will be mid-sized and in line with the current, global Ranger.

Just my two cents.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 550 Posts

Didn't they just say it wasn't in the cards? They stick their foot in their mouth, a lot.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 68CoupeDeVille's Avatar
    Thanks

Americans are fat. Way fatter than we were in the 90s, when the last generations of "compact" trucks/SUVs made debut before growing into "mid-size".
    Fat people must be squished in order to fit within something the size of a old Ranger, the S10, and the first-gen Tacoma.
    Squished fat people are unhappy fat people.
    Unhappy people don't spend $30k+ on new trucks.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mentat Bashar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

A jazzed up Fiat Toro might do nicely here under Ram with the small diesel from the Comanche concept.
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: Hidden Content

Spelling: Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 734 Posts
    My Ride
    Terrain Denali 2016, Black

Thought Ram boss was Bob Hegbloom. Who's Mike Manley?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    I see his point, but with so many "mid-sized" trucks on sale, or coming soon, it might be a good idea to offer something closer to a "traditional" small pickup truck. At the very least, it would allow Ram to offer something unique in the market. The last time a real small truck was around was the last Ranger, and if the rumors are true, the next one will be mid-sized and in line with the current, global Ranger.

Just my two cents.
    I was reading my boyhood collection of 4x4 magazines like "Off Road" and "Four Wheeler" and you notice something really funny about the proliferation of the S10 and Ranger - and people forget the Mistsu/Dodge D 50 4wd was a really big deal then.

The gas mileage of the midsizers - at least vs. Chevy CK which has more advanced spark control and 4spd auto really early on (Dodge was using 3spd deep into the 80's) was just barely better.

What the magazines liked was that with the V6s they had pretty good power to weight ratio. Ford and GM had at first thought of using unit bodies, and making the 4wd more 'awd,' but then decided that they would just be shrunken down version of ladder frame pickups and would be able to take all the off road punishment of a regular 1/2 ton. The EPA ratings of the era are something to chuckle about, but 'real world' overall gas mileage was maybe 17mpg for an ESC 305 Chevy K10 and like 19mpg for an S10 V6.

Maybe the Dodge intermediate pickup could be the same way Dodge used to do intermediate cars: as just barely smaller and lighter than a full size car. think with Dodge there'd be room to offer a kind of 'F 100' or truly light duty. Seems like there is lots of weight to take out - 10speed means you could get rid of low range transfer case, take a good bit of weight out of the frame, maybe drop the massive steel bumpers for car 'fascia' bumpers, esp. in front.
    Check out my automotive blog Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Charger AWD & 2003 Dakota

I don't know how they can do something that makes sense with the Jeep Wrangler pickup coming to the same showroom, but if they can figure it out then rock on!

While the small Fiat Toro doesn't seem to fit Ram's image more choice is better then less choice. They've also shown the Toro as a Jeep product so good luck with it.
    Hidden Content
    1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F-88.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by goatgary View Post
    Thought Ram boss was Bob Hegbloom. Who's Mike Manley?
    Manley is the head of Jeep as well. Hegbloom moved to Ram Interntional head if I remember correctly.

Thanks
    My Ride

A thought occurred that if its not based on the Toro then we have likely seen this truck in the Comanche concept.

That would be fine with me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Wangler pickup in the works. I doubt there's a Ram mid sized pickup coming.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,700 Times in 5,616 Posts

Just my two cents.
    Whoever makes the first new small pickup will not be able to make enough of them.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

guionM (04-01-2016),MercerGrad91 (04-02-2016)

Thanks

The Jeep pickup shouldn't be on a whole new pickup chassis. It should be on the Wrangler's chassis so that it can claim genuine Jeep capabilities, not just Jeep looks.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Just my two cents.
    They were very successful at the beginning with a small truck that was bigger
    now the others are bigger so the should try smaller

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 890 Posts

Give us something like this:

Based off of this:

Starting around $15k-$16K. AWD starting around $1500 more and watch them sell.
    Join the Code 130R Facebook Group! Hidden Content

"Trying to be the world's fastest trombonist is like trying to be the world's tallest midget."
    Alan Raph, NYC Bass Trombonist

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to posaune For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-02-2016),SierraGS (04-02-2016)

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information