Ram 1500 Classic could get refresh going into 2020s

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ram 1500 Classic could get refresh going into 2020s

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 923 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Ram 1500 Classic could get refresh going into 2020s

Ram Could Refresh 1500 Classic Going Forward Into the 2020s
    5 Aug 2019
    by Mircea Panaitauthor
    autoevolution.com

Ah, the Ram 1500 pickup truck! Two distinct models are on offer, namely the DT and the old generation which goes by the name of Classic. Because Ram doesn’t have a successor of the Dakota, the 1500 Classic serves as the more affordable alternative for budget-oriented customers in the U.S. and Canada.

Sales of the are so strong that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles plans to upgrade the 1500 Classic going forward into the 2020s. Considering that the fourth generation of the breed dates back to the 2008 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, a comprehensive refresh is of utmost importance for the Ram brand.

Chief executive officer Mike Manley suggested to Motor Trend that there’s a business case to be made for such a development, more so because two different models in the light-duty segment drive the market share in Ram’s favor as Ford and General Motors duke it on two fronts. The news broke out at the second-quarter earnings call, but no details were offered in regard to what’s what.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 849 Posts

Re: Ram 1500 Classic could get refresh going into 2020s

Just as I thought, the Ram Classic do a role similar to what the XJ Cherokee did when the ZJ Grand Cherokee was introduced.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 923 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

The new, 5th generation Ram 1500 is (arguably) the best looking truck on the market. The 4th generation wasn't that far behind in looks and capability. It's obviously still popular. The last I've read, the combined 1500/1500 Classic (Am I the only one who thinks they should finally give the Ram 1500 an actual name now that it's separated from Dodge?) have eclipsed the Silverado in volume. And with the difference of $5,000 in starting price, the older Classic model is a great proposition to consumers.

However, this news makes me wonder if this update is really all about a lack of a mid-sized truck offering? Could this be a way to keep customers at Ram that otherwise might be looking for a smaller, medium-sized offering?

Just about everyone else in this segment has such a product to offer (Colorado, Canyon, Ranger, Tacoma, Frontier, etc). Developing a new product costs money, and FCA has money tied up into other projects while they look for a potential development/merger partner. Until FCA brings such a model to market (I don't think the Gladiator qualifies), it makes a lot of financial sense to keep the 1500 Classic in the lineup to capture such customers.
    Last edited by nadepalma; 08-05-2019 at 09:32 PM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (08-07-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

FCA is inventive, they are finding ways to increase sales.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

1999 White C5 Coupe (08-06-2019),DequindreToo (08-05-2019),Evo69 (08-05-2019),germeezy1 (08-07-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Buick Regal Turbo

An odd strategy to say the least, but FCA's unconventional business practices usually work in their favor.

I wonder if this will result in "cannibalization" of the new model. If the 1500 Classic is considerably cheaper, yet recently refreshed, is may still be an attractive proposition to prospective buyers of the more expensive "new 1500".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DequindreToo For This Useful Post:

eklauss (08-08-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I'll say one thing, the "classic" is a much better looking truck on the outside than the new Ram, it really has that macho/aggressive look that still looks great. A few updates inside and out and I'm sure Ram will sell a bunch of them right along side the new model.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Chaos For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (08-05-2019),steve333 (08-05-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

This almost feels like a Sierra / Silverado situation without having another sub-brand. Will be interesting to see how this looks 3-5 years from now.
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Z Fury For This Useful Post:

eklauss (08-08-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,195 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I have a 4th gen RAM and a few months ago got an offer from FCA and went and shopped a NEW RAM/ NEW CLASSIC
    have to say the "warlock" package is some TEMPTING for the price it is basically the SPORT with a rebel grill for the price of a f150 XLT

I wonder if the freshening will be PT based more than body as I would like to see the E-torque added and the high output ecodiesel VS the "old" low output that is carry over

as for cannibalization I believe the CLASSIC does NOT go above sport/warlock so any truck ABOVE that trim is exclusive to the NEW 5th gen

Thanks
    Thanked 7,851 Times in 3,949 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

When FCA reports their sales volume, do they lump the new and old Ram together?

Edit, I found the results and they are combined. So when we see all this sales growth and how they are overtaking the Silverado there is an element of BS to this, there is a good chunk that is the old, discounted model?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

Dheart (08-06-2019),eklauss (08-08-2019),TruckMan (08-06-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post

Edit, I found the results and they are combined. So when we see all this sales growth and how they are overtaking the Silverado there is an element of BS to this, there is a good chunk that is the old, discounted model?

The, “old discounted model” is a new, manufactured truck - just like the new Ram. No different than Chevrolet building a two-door truck, a crew-cab, a 2500 series, etc.

Remember the “new” Impala and the 8th generation Impala Classic models were reported by GM in one sales volume number by GM for several years? GM refused to break-out the numbers, despite the vehicles being separate models.

Refresh my memory - does GM have discounted models?

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Do you also feel that it is BS that Silverado included sales of the Classic model for a while as well?

Personally I don't see an issue with this. RAM is basically able to offer a wider range of models/trims using equipment that has been fully amortized. By keeping the previous gen to just lower trims, they are not cannibalizing the ATPs on the new, higher trim models.

To me it seems like good business sense and appears to be working well for them.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dratnol For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (08-06-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,480 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

The 2019 Silverado LD get's lumped in with the current 2020 Silverado.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

With the tooling all paid for and people buying them (I got one myself), they are printing money. My Night Edition ended up being $28.900 before tax and delivery (I get huge discounts). GM wanted $38.500 for a Custom Trailboss before tax and delivery.
    I didnt get the classic Silvy as I am afraid of the shakerado.
    The truck prices are crazy anyway.
    Last edited by canadian.bacon; 08-06-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,851 Times in 3,949 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 White C5 Coupe View Post
    The, “old discounted model” is a new, manufactured truck - just like the new Ram. No different than Chevrolet building a two-door truck, a crew-cab, a 2500 series, etc.

Remember the “new” Impala and the 8th generation Impala Classic models were reported by GM in one sales volume number by GM for several years? GM refused to break-out the numbers, despite the vehicles being separate models.

Refresh my memory - does GM have discounted models?
    Quote Originally Posted by dratnol View Post
    Do you also feel that it is BS that Silverado included sales of the Classic model for a while as well?

Personally I don't see an issue with this. RAM is basically able to offer a wider range of models/trims using equipment that has been fully amortized. By keeping the previous gen to just lower trims, they are not cannibalizing the ATPs on the new, higher trim models.

To me it seems like good business sense and appears to be working well for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    The 2019 Silverado LD get's lumped in with the current 2020 Silverado.
    My reason for the comment is for that very fact - comparability and understanding the full story.

As we argue about the RAM overtaking the Silverado in sales, it is important to know how much of the RAM sales are last gen; which is likely sold at a steep discount. Comparing RAM to Silverado volume is not apples to apples, just like at the time comparing the lumped together Impala/Impala Classic to a competitor was misleading, and was pointed out several times on GMI. And I did not think GM should have lumped the Classic in with the new model.

That is the head scratcher to me, we had a couple of years of GM's credibility being questioned for lumping Impala/Impala Classic together, yet not a peep about RAM doing the same.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1999 White C5 Coupe (08-06-2019),Dheart (08-06-2019),eklauss (08-08-2019),TruckMan (08-06-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,321 Times in 2,480 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

My reason for the comment is for that very fact - comparability and understanding the full story.

As we argue about the RAM overtaking the Silverado in sales, it is important to know how much of the RAM sales are last gen; which is likely sold at a steep discount. Comparing RAM to Silverado volume is not apples to apples, just like at the time comparing the lumped together Impala/Impala Classic to a competitor was misleading, and was pointed out several times on GMI. And I did not think GM should have lumped the Classic in with the new model.

That is the head scratcher to me, we had a couple of years of GM's credibility being questioned for lumping Impala/Impala Classic together, yet not a peep about RAM doing the same.
    How is this:

https://www.expresswaydodge.net/new-...RR7KT4KS616053

Any different than this:

https://www.kennykentchevy.com/new/C...615dba6d74.htm

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast