Production Tesla Model X Unveiled in Configurator

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Production Tesla Model X Unveiled in Configurator

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Production Tesla Model X Unveiled in Configurator

First Pics Of New Tesla Model X In Production Guise!
    Carscoops
    September 1, 2015
    By: John Halas

We received an unexpected surprise today with the circulation of the first photos of the production Tesla Model X via the brand's private configurator for Signature reservation holders.

Tesla has two levels of reservation for the new Model X, one for the regular model that requires a $5,000 deposit and another one with a much heftier $40,000 deposit for the limited Signature series.

The Model X seen in the screenshots and pictures is the top-of-the line "Signature Series" that starts from $132,000, not including a $7,500 Federal tax credit. It comes with a 90kWh battery pack and a boatload of standard features such as the Autopilot self-parking system, ventilated leather seats with heating and cooling, two flat-folding third row seats for adults, and "independently operable, 3-adult second row seats".

The Signature series will also get Falcon Wing rear doors with "built in sensors" to prevent users from hitting them into garage ceilings of "any height".

According to the spec sheet, the standard Model X Signature model will have an estimated driving range of 240 miles (386 km/h), with the 259hp front and 503hp rear electric motors offering a 0-60mph time of 3.8 sec and a top speed of 155mph (250km/h).

There are three options listed on Tesla's configurator, including a Subzero Weather Package for $1,000, a Tow Package for $750, and of course, the most interesting of all, the "Ludicrous Speed Upgrade" that cuts the 0-60mph (96km/h) time by 0.6 sec to 3.2 sec and the quarter mile to 11.7 seconds – that's a mere 0.5 seconds more than the 707hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat…for a 7-seater family car…

From these rear-quarter views, the production Model X looks just like the last prototype displayed at the Detroit Auto Show in 2013, but we'll have to wait for more pictures to see if the front and the dashboard designs remain unchanged.

It shouldn't be long before Tesla comes out with full details on the entire Model X range.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

2b2 (09-01-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Re: Production Tesla Model X Unveiled in Configurator

Cough Jaguar butt Cough
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member CaddyLac10's Avatar
    Thanks

Love the gull wing doors. Tesla is being bold and breaking convention; something others brands should do instead of thinking about.

My only issue is the shape. It's not a pretty or sexy design like the S. It looks like a giant egg.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Give it to me! My body is ready!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 602 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

It has some pretty awkward angles to it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ambalanche For This Useful Post:

spd98 (09-01-2015)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

I like everyting about it except the exterior. But I love that Tesla knows how the market their cars and generate hype. Those rear doors may be wonky, but it's attention-getting in all the right ways. A lot of premium brands could learn a thing or two from observing Tesla.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amphibian For This Useful Post:

2b2 (09-01-2015),johnstarnes (09-02-2015),TheNewStandard (09-02-2015)

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Those rear doors are probably also very practical for parents strapping in small children in car seats when it rains/snows...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I like Tesla and hope they succeed and everything. But their designs are really starting to look old now, especially the insides. Seriously that's the interior you get for 130k, jesus. It looks 90% exactly the same as the S, you know that car that's almost four years old now and up to like thirty or forty grand cheaper.

The model three better be ****ing amazing. Because if it looks like a warmed over derivative of a design which at that point will be close to tens years old, I just can't put money down on them being a long term success.
    Remember by that point there will be at least three different competitors, all with similar ranges and sizes from companies with long track records and service department/dealerships everywhere.

I mean I hope the best for them. But I'm still not completely confident that Tesla is going to be around in 2025 (or at least in the same hands).

Oh and I still think the doors are needlessly complicated.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Link2877 For This Useful Post:

balthazar (09-01-2015)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,527 Times in 3,172 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

I am going to guess Tesla seats are supplied by Lear

C7

Porsche 911

both by Lear Corporation

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 StormHunter77's Avatar
    Thanks

My six year old son was looking at these photos with me and you should have heard him when we got to the photo of the gull wing doors. A genuine, "Whhooaaaa, whooooaaaa….look at those doors." Reminded me of when I was just a little old than him and one of my classmates was picked up in a Delorean. Our bus passed them in the parking lot of the school and the doors were up. Love at first sight. I think my son just had that same experience. Plus, he loved the seats in the back. He was amazed that there were five individual seats, "in the back!". Tesla has the next generation covered.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StormHunter77 For This Useful Post:

igor (09-01-2015),mbukukanyau (09-01-2015),paul8488 (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Try showing him a Cadillac

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Love the wow factor on the doors, but this makes it pretty impractical for most home and parking garages. People simply won't be able to get in the back seats. If you're taking your family of 7 somewhere, you have to tell grandma and grandpa and the three kids to wait outside in the rain while you pull the car out of the garage. If you're strapping in little children and car seats, I can see this as very inconvenient. Especially if you're alone, do you live your kid sitting on the curb in a carrier while you back your Tesla out of the garage? With the high console you can't even scramble through to the back.

In a sports car I'd say who cares, but a 7-person people mover? I think this is poorly thought out.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 cbennie2's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Saturn Astra Twilight Blu

So the much hyped model x is a Honda cross tour with wing doors...meh

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    Love the wow factor on the doors, but this makes it pretty impractical for most home and parking garages. People simply won't be able to get in the back seats. If you're taking your family of 7 somewhere, you have to tell grandma and grandpa and the three kids to wait outside in the rain while you pull the car out of the garage. If you're strapping in little children and car seats, I can see this as very inconvenient. Especially if you're alone, do you live your kid sitting on the curb in a carrier while you back your Tesla out of the garage? With the high console you can't even scramble through to the back.

In a sports car I'd say who cares, but a 7-person people mover? I think this is poorly thought out.
    I hear your concern.. their point was that this fits into some 90% of garages in the USA ... I cannot confirm this, but that was their point.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by igor View Post
    I hear your concern.. their point was that this fits into some 90% of garages in the USA ... I cannot confirm this, but that was their point.
    Interesting, I'd guess that would be lower, but if they did their research... and maybe for every garage that is too low there's one that's too narrow for opening the doors on a normal car, so maybe access-wise this is no better but no worse.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

23. The Following User Says Thank You to paul8488 For This Useful Post:

igor (09-02-2015)

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast