Peugeot family aims to quickly raise PSA-FCA stake

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Peugeot family aims to quickly raise PSA-FCA stake

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,967 Times in 972 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Peugeot family aims to quickly raise PSA-FCA stake

Peugeot family aims to quickly raise PSA-Fiat Chrysler stake: newspaper interview
    JANUARY 12, 2020
    reuters.com

PARIS (Reuters) - The Peugeot family, which will own a 6.2% stake in the new carmaker resulting from PSA (PEUP.PA) and Fiat Chrysler’s (FCHA.MI) merger, aims to increase its holding as soon as possible, a representative said in a newspaper interview.

PSA and Fiat Chrysler reached a binding agreement last month on a $50 billion tie-up that will create the world’s No. 4 carmaker after the deal is completed in 12-15 months.

Under the terms of the deal, the Peugeot family can increase its shareholding by up to 2.5% only by acquiring shares from French state investment bank Bpifrance Participations and China’s Dongfeng Motors, which are both also PSA shareholders.

Asked by regional French newspaper L’Est Republicain if raising the stake was a major objective, Jean-Philippe Peugeot, who heads the family’s Etablissements Peugeot Freres holding company, replied that it was.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,967 Times in 972 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Peugeot family aims to quickly raise PSA-FCA stake

Peugeot also said that he expected the French state, represented through Bpifrance, to eventually exit the new company.

“I think that it is not meant to be there forever. It will undoubtedly remain long enough to make sure that (French) jobs are safe over time,” he said.

However, he added that it was unlikely that Dongfeng would totally sell out of the new group even though it plans to reduce its shares in PSA.
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

First, I always thought it was interesting how the French government has held more sway (and a stake) in Renault than it has in PSA. I don't know if it was always historically like this, but Paris seems less likely to mess with PSA's marriage with FCA than they were Renault's proposal. Obviously the Nissan's involvement in the Alliance had something to do with it, but so does France's considerably larger stake in the RNM venture.

Secondly, I thought Dongfeng was going to exit the business altogether. The link to Dongfeng hasn't really helped PSA's position in China. I wonder if any combined company would fare better.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

I have no knowledge of the family, but having individuals as major stakeholders has to be better than government stakeholders. They have a big enough job ahead of them without French bureaucrats vetoing strategic moves that benefit the business, but not France in particular. It's also a big vote of confidence that they want it right away... We shall see.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chassis Guy For This Useful Post:

eklauss (01-15-2020)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Citroen Activa, Mazda Bubble.

Thumbs up Re: Peugeot family aims to quickly raise PSA-FCA stake

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

First, I always thought it was interesting how the French government has held more sway (and a stake) in Renault than it has in PSA. I don't know if it was always historically like this, but Paris seems less likely to mess with PSA's marriage with FCA than they were Renault's proposal.
    For mention, Renault was nationalised in 1945.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Peugeot family is trying to bring their cars in North America! Peugeot family will soon discover first hand how Fiat failed in the US. They are trying to beat Toyota and the like onto their well established grounds. tz tz tz tz.....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,812 Times in 1,293 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Chassis Guy View Post
    I have no knowledge of the family, but having individuals as major stakeholders has to be better than government stakeholders. They have a big enough job ahead of them without French bureaucrats vetoing strategic moves that benefit the business, but not France in particular. It's also a big vote of confidence that they want it right away... We shall see.
    normally I would agree BUT Peugeot has NOT done muck worth mention in 20+ years outside of FRANCE
    I would personally prefer the FCA side agnelli family take MORE control then the peugeot family - they have shown they CAN join disimular companies and NOT KILL them by "FORCING" the HOME ideas on the "foreign" partner
    (FIAT 500) was a GOVERNMENT requirement car to make conditions for merger AND FCA HAS walked back on PUSHING FIAT into America

10. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

eklauss (01-15-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    normally I would agree BUT Peugeot has NOT done muck worth mention in 20+ years outside of FRANCE
    I would personally prefer the FCA side agnelli family take MORE control then the peugeot family - they have shown they CAN join disimular companies and NOT KILL them by "FORCING" the HOME ideas on the "foreign" partner
    (FIAT 500) was a GOVERNMENT requirement car to make conditions for merger AND FCA HAS walked back on PUSHING FIAT into America
    I think no matter the ownership structure, they have to acknowledge the obvious - Jeep and RAM are rolling. F with that at your own peril. Daimler had the stones to mess with this type of thing, but these aren't Germans coming in with "superior Engineering" by any stretch. I don't see an obvious concern. A great big "we'll see"? Yes.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements