"Oh, What A Feeling!" Toyota Boss Groped Me

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Oh, What A Feeling!" Toyota Boss Groped Me

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

Toyota hit with $190M harassment suit

Interesting story..

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/02/news...reut/index.htm

DETROIT (Reuters) - A Toyota Motor Corp. employee has filed a $190-million lawsuit charging that the automaker's top U.S. executive sexually harassed her and other executives failed to act on her complaints.

In the lawsuit filed in New York state court, Sayaka Kobayashi, 42, says Toyota North America Chief Executive Hideaki Otaka, 65, made repeated sexual advances toward her in 2005 when she was working as his assistant in New York.

"Toyota has a "zero tolerance" policy towards sexual harassment at all levels within the company and takes any allegations of this nature very seriously," Toyota said in a statement, declining any further comment.

Kobayashi, an employee in the company's corporate planning unit who was hired in the United States in 1997, was asked to become Otaka's assistant in March 2005, according to the lawsuit.

"Rather than the step forward for her career that she had hoped, the position has turned into a personal nightmare for Ms. Kobayashi," the lawsuit says.

Over the next few months, Otaka repeatedly asked Kobayashi to accompany him to lunches, walks in Central Park and on business trips, where he tried to engage in sexual conduct with her, according to the suit.
    Last edited by Ming; 05-03-2006 at 08:26 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Toyota hit with $190M harassment suit

Toyota has faced scrutiny over its treatment of women in the workplace in the past.
    I refuse to believe such a ridiculous claim, Toyota is the most loving, caring company around. They care for their employees, and the environment. Toyota would never allow such a thing. It's all a lie.

Dream Vehicles: 88-91 Reatta, an early 80s Buick Wagon, or any 79+ Riviera
    Current Vehicles:
    2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Special NYC two tone Edition (1 of 300 made) 70K miles
    1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue White w/ soft top and red leather interior. 76K miles
    Dead/Retired Vehicles:
    1998 Buick Riviera ~105,000, and totaled after being rear ended
    1990 Buick Park Avenue ~300,000 loyal miles before death from oil starvation. May you R.I.P. Christine. Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMFreak8
    I refuse to believe such a ridiculous claim, Toyota is the most loving, caring company around. They care for their employees, and the environment. Toyota would never allow such a thing. It's all a lie.

geeze.............this happens in every fricken company in the world!!!!!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MNdudeswitz

I know

Dream Vehicles: 88-91 Reatta, an early 80s Buick Wagon, or any 79+ Riviera
    Current Vehicles:
    2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra Special NYC two tone Edition (1 of 300 made) 70K miles
    1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue White w/ soft top and red leather interior. 76K miles
    Dead/Retired Vehicles:
    1998 Buick Riviera ~105,000, and totaled after being rear ended
    1990 Buick Park Avenue ~300,000 loyal miles before death from oil starvation. May you R.I.P. Christine. Hidden Content

Thanks

haha............touche!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 genjy's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha $190 million dollars... why not add a few more dollars and make it $200 million even? Geez.

Thanks

I don't know the truth in this matter, but I will say that when you're extremely profitable like Toyota, then you become a huge target for any number of erroneous, exaggerated, or false lawsuits contrived to simply suck money out of Toyota's coffers.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 MrMax's Avatar
    Thanks

lmao. dude... thats priceless. The response, plus a link. Friggin awesome.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Toyota Aygo City Car. :-)

Yeah right! LOL. I like your humor GMFreak8. Not surprising given the fact that in Japanese culture the man wants the women to do everything he says.
    Previously owned Camaro's ;
    1973 RS
    1977 Z28
    1980 Z28
    1982 Z28
    2000 Z28

Previously owned Corvette;

Current ride;
    2008 Toyota Aygo city car

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MonteCarloSS86's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha

touché, that was the funniest thing all day and it's only 7:01. I'm sure nobody else will top that.
    Hidden Content
    2001 BMW 325i

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 832 Posts

I guess then the day Toyota is face to the ransom of the glory/success will arrive sooner then we taught.

Now, let's wait to see Honda facing the same music (sorry for the sarcasm)

K-1
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Traverse Black Granite

Quote Originally Posted by gmrebirth
    I don't know the truth in this matter, but I will say that when you're extremely profitable like Toyota, then you become a huge target for any number of erroneous, exaggerated, or false lawsuits contrived to simply suck money out of Toyota's coffers.
    Regardless of the financial standing of the company, every allegation needs to be fully investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by MNdudeswitz
    Just because it does happen, doesn't mean it should, nor should it be ignored.

Thanks

You may be happy to see Toyota punished, but all men are being punished with these phony lawsuits. Whenever a woman's corporate career stalls it's automatically because of sexism in the workplace. It couldn't possibly be because they weren't good enough to advance.

Was her career really worth $40 mill? And how are punitive damages of $150m calculated? There's a word for a sex-for-money transaction, and most of those transactions are a lot cheaper. Kobe's night in a hotel in Colorado cost him over $10 million and he may not have raped her. Shoulda gone to the Mustang Ranch!

The cost of having an army of lawyers, the cost of out of court settlements, jury awards, etc. all gets passed on to us consumers. The little guy ends of paying for the so-called victory for the little guy/gal.

I know my opinions are not very PC, but most men (and women) know the truth and are just too afraid to say it in the land of the allegedly free. If it hasn't happened already, companies will be too scared to hire women for fear of potential future lawsuits. And they don't have to worry about sexual harassment suits in China, Mexico, India, etc. I'm not saying it never happens, but I'm pretty sure it's overblown.

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

So all of the usual Toyota defenders here this will be a big lie and a frivolous lawsuit, while to all of the Toyota haters it will be a reason for a "ha ha".

Reality of living in Japan taught me much more than those 2 simple views. My sister-in-law was in the very same situation while working in Tokyo in her mid 20's, harassed by her boss for months before she quit and went unemployed for a long time. Its not as easy to "job hop" as it is in the US, and every time she went for another interview she had to avoid saying why she really left.

The glass ceiling is very real in Japan, and even Toyota USA's upper echelons look a lot like Japan, so it doesn't surprise me. While I wont go so far as to say he must be guilty, I've seen this kind of thing enough from female friends in the workplace there that I can say with confidence that it is a far cry from the American image of the overactive imagination of feminists most of the time (at least over there) and is, to be honest, very messed up.
    Last edited by Ming; 05-03-2006 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks

Hopefully the press makes a semi big deal of it and makes Toyota look bad, but they won't, they will just let it go and say "more americans are buying fuel efficient cars like the Toyota Prius." But the Lucerne often outsells the Prius, and the Tahoe nearly doubles sales of the Prius.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information