Nikola: How to Parlay An Ocean of Lies Into a Partnership With the Largest Auto OEM i

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikola: How to Parlay An Ocean of Lies Into a Partnership With the Largest Auto OEM i

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,877 Times in 2,739 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Nikola: How to Parlay An Ocean of Lies Into a Partnership With the Largest Auto OEM i

Nikola: How to Parlay An Ocean of Lies Into a Partnership With the Largest Auto OEM in America

The underlying narrative for the electric vehicle market in 2020 has undoubtedly been Tesla’s relentless rally, which recently culminated in the company being valued with a market cap of over $400 billion at its peak—more than time-tested names like GM, Ford, Daimler and Fiat – combined.

Unlike Nikola, Tesla develops extensive proprietary technology, which cuts many traditional automakers and suppliers out of its picture. The astronomical rise in Tesla’s valuation has pressured other auto companies, like General Motors, to unlock similar value from the ongoing EV wave. In August 2020, analysts from Deutsche Bank and Morgan Stanley pressed General Motors to spin off its electric vehicle business, stating that such a move dedicated to EV could be worth “up to $100 billion”.

“Nothing is off the table,” GM CEO Mary Barra said at the time, appeasing analysts and winning a price target boost from Morgan Stanley shortly thereafter.
    More at the link.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-11-2020),BlackGTP (09-10-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,304 Times in 4,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: Nikola: How to Parlay An Ocean of Lies Into a Partnership With the Largest Auto O

Could GM take a stake having uncovered fraud? I doubt that the GM board would approve, or that they didn’t do some due diligence.

But it would seem They have done their research( the zepllins)
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 09-10-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Nikola: How to Parlay An Ocean of Lies Into a Partnership With the Largest Auto O

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Could GM take a stake having uncovered fraud? I doubt that the GM board would approve, or that they didn’t do some due diligence.

But it would seem They have done their research
    I think the fact that GM is providing all the hard pieces of work regarding the Badger makes it feel like they, meaning GM, know it would never have been produced by Nikola.

The really hard thing is they supposedly build a lot of stuff "in house" but almost everything they show in videos is being built by someone else because they said it's not worth it to build it due to the costs.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    I think the fact that GM is providing all the hard pieces of work regarding the Badger makes it feel like they, meaning GM, know it would never have been produced by Nikola.

The really hard thing is they supposedly build a lot of stuff "in house" but almost everything they show in videos is being built by someone else because they said it's not worth it to build it due to the costs.
    My take is that if there was anything, perhaps they had inferior technology and no cash.. since GM is not even asking them for Technology.. and it’s one thing to build a fuel cell, it’s completely another to integrate it into a vehicle and meet all the regulations.. worst case, GM ends up owning Nikola.. however, Nikola better play the market to pay the Cash a GM will need to build these.. it’s going to be a lot more than $2 billion

Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 477 Posts
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

Everyone seems to forget that Tesla started with nothing but an idea. A roadster using a Lotus body, and then a 10% stake acquired by Daimler to help develop the Model S.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-11-2020),BlackGTP (09-10-2020),Cobaltss_King (09-10-2020),mbukukanyau (09-10-2020),richmond2000 (09-14-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
    Everyone seems to forget that Tesla started with nothing but an idea. A roadster using a Lotus body, and then a 10% stake acquired by Daimler to help develop the Model S.
    They had the Roadster shown July 2006 and started delivering February 2008. Plus, they actually did a lot of the in house production unlike Nikola who is outsourcing a LOT of what they used to say was going to be done in house. Tesla had a product before they got a cash infusion and Nikola is still 2 years out.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    My Ride

They had the Roadster shown July 2006 and started delivering February 2008. Plus, they actually did a lot of the in house production unlike Nikola who is outsourcing a LOT of what they used to say was going to be done in house. Tesla had a product before they got a cash infusion and Nikola is still 2 years out.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with updating ones plan

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with updating ones plan
    Nikola has stated over and over again, as late as this July, that they're going for vertical integration to save money. Nothing they have is done in house aside from the coding from everything that's coming out.

They claim to have all these hydrogen break thrus but if they did why are they passing that off to GM with the Badger??

Either read the story or stop commenting about it. There are some huge red flags with Nikola. Just look at their finance sheets.

Milton just admitted they even might switch everything to GM for the semi too. Then he's shouting that they, they being Nikola saved 30% switching to GM batteries over Tesla cost.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-11-2020),sdotjeezy (09-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,211 Times in 4,952 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

It's a compelling story of fraud, but the source appears to be the devil. Not sure that I believe what the devil says.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    It's a compelling story of fraud, but the source appears to be the devil. Not sure that I believe what the devil says.
    It kind of feels like both players are the devil.

With Trevor admitting that they're going to use almost all GM hardware in the Badger truck it seems like the "technological advancements" they made were pretty fabricated.

As far as the Semi, it seems like a lot of that story in the beginning was smoke and mirrors as well to get people drug in and then they turned that money into real product.

Milton also deleted a lot of tweets from the last three months last night too. He promised a retort to most of the questions but instead has said he's getting the SEC involved. Just super odd.
    Last edited by bballr4567; 09-11-2020 at 08:30 AM.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (09-11-2020),emh (09-11-2020)

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 675 Posts

It kind of feels like both players are the devil.
    I agree. Nikola has changed their story so many times that it feels like they jump on whatever is hot at the time to generate interest. So I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have much technology development at stake.

On the other hand, Hindenburg Research, who wrote this report, has a short position in Nikola. That right there gives me pause in believing them too.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,824 Times in 1,419 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Didn't the article yesterday say this Hindenburg Research organization has a known history of profiting off releasing stuff like this?

I mean that should tell you everything you need to know.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-11-2020),BlackGTP (09-11-2020),richmond2000 (09-14-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    I agree. Nikola has changed their story so many times that it feels like they jump on whatever is hot at the time to generate interest. So I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have much technology development at stake.

On the other hand, Hindenburg Research, who wrote this report, has a short position in Nikola. That right there gives me pause in believing them too.
    Like I said, it feels like both are the devil at this point.

They make some absolute great points though especially with regard to Nikola showing technology they "have" and "completed" projects that Milton said was done and wasn't even close. To me, the most glaring is the US Express semi that was very clearly a pusher and Milton had to reassure everyone over and over again that it wasnt and it actually moved under it's own power. That presentation gave them a ton of very positive press and allowed for a lot of forward partnerships.

The last two years Nikola has spent over $100 million developing for the H2 and they have a running driving prototype from that cash spent on their own technology? Seems really fishy when other companies have put almost 10 times as much as that into it.

With Milton deleting a lot of tweets last night, I feel there is something really to hide now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbNopvpSbzU

Even at 3:06 in this video he says that AB is ordering 800 trucks from them. They aren't. They're "up to" 800 trucks depending if Nikola can deliver on the promises he made. AB has a ton of outs in the contract. I mean, a ton.
    Last edited by bballr4567; 09-11-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-11-2020),emh (09-11-2020),richmond2000 (09-14-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,107 Times in 2,652 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Didn't the article yesterday say this Hindenburg Research organization has a known history of profiting off releasing stuff like this?

I mean that should tell you everything you need to know.
    And from what I read through in the article it is good that they were exposed. If Hindenburg Research profits, so be it. I came away from it feeling just like others in that both Nikola and GM are wearing the devils pants. All of this going on right in my own back yard so to speak as well.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    And from what I read through in the article it is good that they were exposed. If Hindenburg Research profits, so be it. I came away from it feeling just like others in that both Nikola and GM are wearing the devils pants. All of this going on right in my own back yard so to speak as well.
    That's the problem with going public without a product. Miltons twitter is an entertaining train wreck. He just released photos of the Ulm factory where they're building the five hand built prototype electric semis and it's almost cringe worthy.

Like I said, I think the semi stuff is absolutely real. Just not all their work and it wasn't real until the last 18 months or so.

The Badger was a complete smoke show. That's why Milton is absolutely silent on it.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (09-11-2020)

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information