Next Ford F-150 Could Trade Steel Frame for Magnesium-Alloy

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Ford F-150 Could Trade Steel Frame for Magnesium-Alloy

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Autoguide
    November 15, 2010
    by Huw Evans

With Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards of 30 miles per gallon for light trucks looming ever closer, Ford is looking at ways to meet these targets without sacrificing performance on its bread winning F-series pickups.

One method, hinted by CEO Alan Mullaly is in shaving weight. The current F-150 uses a fully-boxed steel frame, which is strong, but heavy, so for the next generation truck an option being considered is a chassis made from magnesium alloy.

There’s a good deal of logic to this. Magnesium is currently one of the most abundant elements on earth and is 36 percent lighter than aluminum. It’s also being increasingly adopted by automakers, primarily on suspension components and engine blocks, but also body panels. In fact Ford managed to shave some 22 lbs off the Lincoln MKT crossover utility vehicle by using separate aluminum and magnesium panels for the rear lift gate instead of ordinary stamped steel.

Along with the frame, Ford is also exploring the possibilities of using aluminum body panels on the next F-150, though for strength and durability a steel skin will likely remain. As for powertrain options, there’s no official word on what might be offered down the road, though expect a next generation EcoBoost V6 and possibly an inline-five cylinder engine, maybe a turbo diesel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,137 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Re: Next Ford F-150 Could Trade Steel Frame for Magnesium-Alloy

It's going to be interesting to see what manufacturers do to start shaving weight and increasing FE when they start bending over to, I mean bowing to CAFE.

One thing though, I think capabilities have gotten out of hand. There definitely needs to be a lighter duty truck model that'll be sufficient for most current truck buyers.
    Last edited by TruckMan; 11-15-2010 at 02:20 PM.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

Along with the frame, Ford is also exploring the possibilities of using aluminum body panels on the next F-150, though for strength and durability a steel skin will likely remain.
    They sure as heck better.. What good is a flimsy truck? Particularly the bed... That's the One thing the F-150 has on the GM twins is thicker sheetmetal and bumpers that are still strong and durable. They lose that and they're no better than the rest... I couldn't care less about their new engines.

I hope GM has studied this issue thoroughly and is ready to go in for the kill on the 2013's. We need some good tricks up our sleeve here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see what manufacturers do to start shaving weight and increasing FE when they start bending over to, I mean bowing to CAFE.

One thing though, I think capabilities have gotten out of hand. There definitely needs to be a lighter duty truck model that'll be sufficient for most current truck buyers.
    Agreed. I don't think the demands of (*most*) truck buyers today have grown quite as much as the trucks being sold to them have in the last ten years. There's certainly demand for these capabilities, but a less expensive, lighter-duty truck has a market as well, and is going to be crucial to meeting CAFE without sacrificing the capability of these trucks.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC G8Montana's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Pontiac G8GT 2009 Pacific Sl.

Great, magnesium.......more vehicles into blazing fireballs that will burn under water even........
    New Aug-08 with 3 miles on ticker: 2009 Pontiac G8GT 82k miles
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 238k miles
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

Quote Originally Posted by G8Montana View Post
    Great, magnesium.......more vehicles into blazing fireballs that will burn under water even........
    Awesome!!!!

The more and more I look, I think I'll probably just stick with my old '89 Suburban and find me a decent dry '73 to '74 (pre-cat) Cheyenne or Sierra. Drop a 700-R4 in one and you have a decent drivetrain with a solid truck that won't fold up if leaves fall on them.

The '73 to '91 (R/V) trucks and SUV's just can't be beat for a solid vehicle that's still modern enough to drive on today's roads.
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

News flash, Ford already uses aluminum body panels, has for years. Take a look at an F-150 or Expedition hood from the last 10 years.

As for magnesium-alloy frames, I just wonder about the repairability.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Carbon Fiber maybe? This stuff isn't exactly new tech anymore and won't be more expensive than steel for much longer if it isn't cheaper already. Any reason why CF can't be used in a vehicle frame?

Its a shame that car companies are still resistant to doing the right thing. Instead of being forced by the gov't to make they're vehicles better overall by making them lighter and therefore more efficient, better handling, etc. they should just do it because they want to build the best vehicle they can make.

Hopefully GM is in line w/ Ford on this. I may not totally agree w/ CAFE but I'll take the lighter, more efficient more capable magnesium Silverado.
    Park the s**tbox and come with me.

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

There is no real reason for a frame on a half ton pickup.
    Why not unit body to save weight?
    Although the Honda Ridgeline is no lightweigh,t nor is the large unit body Traverse.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by ZR2BlaZeR2 View Post
    Carbon Fiber maybe? This stuff isn't exactly new tech anymore and won't be more expensive than steel for much longer if it isn't cheaper already. Any reason why CF can't be used in a vehicle frame?

Its a shame that car companies are still resistant to doing the right thing. Instead of being forced by the gov't to make they're vehicles better overall by making them lighter and therefore more efficient, better handling, etc. they should just do it because they want to build the best vehicle they can make.

Hopefully GM is in line w/ Ford on this. I may not totally agree w/ CAFE but I'll take the lighter, more efficient more capable magnesium Silverado.
    They're not making trucks out of steel because they're lazy. There are a number of reasons why carbon fiber isn't used in more automotive applications:
    1) The Bessemer process has been around for 155 years, carbon fiber has been around for about 50 years. Consequently steel is made everywhere, carbon fiber is made by only a few companies.

2) Each fiber is two ten-thousandths of an inch in diameter, and has to be made in a controlled environment without oxygen. Very labor intensive, not cheap.

3) Carbon fiber is strong but brittle, it shatters under shock.

4) You can bend steel back into shape, weld to it if you have to. Damaged carbon fiber is done for. Would you want that as the frame of the vehicle that you drag over rocks?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    There is no real reason for a frame on a half ton pickup.
    Why not unit body to save weight?
    Although the Honda Ridgeline is no lightweigh,t nor is the large unit body Traverse.
    And fuel mileage is barely better for the Ridgeline over an Avalanche. Take a few pounds out of it and add direct injection and it would beat the Ridgeline and have way more capability than it too.
    Last edited by bigdaddy; 11-16-2010 at 06:55 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze TD , 88 Fiero GT

Sounds like Ford is going back to the future and use something like Dow Chemicals "Dow Metal" Magnesium Alloy developed in the 1940's.....

Ken

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Quote Originally Posted by G8Montana View Post
    I hope you don't ever own a BMW with the N52 inline 6 as its engine block is made out of magnesium.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skylark68 View Post
    Awesome!!!!

The more and more I look, I think I'll probably just stick with my old '89 Suburban and find me a decent dry '73 to '74 (pre-cat) Cheyenne or Sierra. Drop a 700-R4 in one and you have a decent drivetrain with a solid truck that won't fold up if leaves fall on them.
    Or just swap in the LS1/4L60E combo and drive the wheels off it!
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2016 Ram Laramie Longhorn

Thanks
    My Ride
    1987 Chevrolet R10

Quote Originally Posted by vanshmack View Post
    Or just swap in the LS1/4L60E combo and drive the wheels off it!
    That would be nice... I can see that under the hood of my '87... I'll stick to my 700-R4 though... it's a stout tranny...

In the sea of new automotive faces,
    there's nothing like the appreciation and beauty of an older model. Let's represent!

~ZvetteGuy

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information