Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

  1. #1
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,622
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 905 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

    Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    Check Out The Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations
    The double-brow design dominates.
    SEP 04, 2019
    Anthony Alaniz
    motor1.com

    The Ford Mustang debuted on April 17, 1964, and quickly became one of the company’s most successful model launches in over 30 years. It’s a generational icon of Americana, and its story is still going strong today. But much like the Mustang’s exterior, which has changed a lot over its 54-year run, the interior has seen its fair share of changes, as well. Our friends at Budget Direct came up with a series of sketches that show how the Mustang’s interior has evolved since its introduction for the 1965 model year.

    Today’s Mustang interior may feel modern with its soft-touch materials, high-quality brightwork, a plethora of digital screens, and endless technologies, but the look is unmistakably Mustang. Ford has used the double brow design, first introduced with on the original Mustang, since it began its retro revival with the fifth-generation offering for the 2005 model year. But the design hasn’t been around forever.

    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

    Image courtesy of, and credited to, motor1.com
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

    buildacariwant (09-21-2019),The Handler (09-19-2019)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  4. #2
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,622
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 905 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    Neat to see them all back-to-back this way.

    I'm a GM fan, but I'm also a GM critic. In that vein, in my humble opinion and with very few exceptions, the Mustang's interior seems to have always been "better" than a corresponding Camaro or Firebird interior. No pony car's interior was "great", but it always seems like the Mustang got it "right" compared to Chevy/Pontiac over the years.

    The current Camaro interior is a better place to spend time than the previous generation. And though design and material use can often wade into subjective territory, I think most car reviewers and auto journalists would agree that the Mustang's design, ergonomics, material use, and fit n' finish are a run or two above the Camaro.

    Unfortunately, from an interior perspective, this seems to a common refrain among many GM products. It's not that their interiors are 'bad' or 'poor', but just seem to be a cut or two below some competitors for the money.

    Side Note: This interior they posted from 1979-1993 is pretty awful. But the 3rd Gen/Fox-body interior did get better toward the end of this lifespan.

    Last edited by nadepalma; 09-19-2019 at 05:10 PM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

    Extreme4x4 (09-22-2019)

  6. #3
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC The Handler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    929
    Thanked 216 Times in 109 Posts

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    Out of the modern era interiors, the fourth generation is the cleanest.

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  8. #4
    ksr
    ksr is offline
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head Island, SC
    Posts
    6,483
    Thanks
    884
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,261 Posts

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Neat to see them all back-to-back this way.

    I'm a GM fan, but I'm also a GM critic. In that vein, in my humble opinion and with very few exceptions, the Mustang's interior seems to have always been "better" than a corresponding Camaro or Firebird interior. No pony car's interior was "great", but it always seems like the Mustang got it "right" compared to Chevy/Pontiac over the years.

    The current Camaro interior is a better place to spend time than the previous generation. And though design and material use can often wade into subjective territory, I think most car reviewers and auto journalists would agree that the Mustang's design, ergonomics, material use, and fit n' finish are a run or two above the Camaro.

    Unfortunately, from an interior perspective, this seems to a common refrain among many GM products. It's not that their interiors are 'bad' or 'poor', but just seem to be a cut or two below some competitors for the money.

    Side Note: This interior they posted from 1979-1993 is pretty awful. But the 3rd Gen/Fox-body interior did get better toward the end of this lifespan.


    It may have been true some years, but the Fox body Mustangs had total crap interiors. To me, the GM interiors, while still having too much cheap material, were far better, The '80s Fox body interiors was absolute garbage, particularly before about 1987 after which the improved slightly. And I'm biased for Firebirds, but the Firebird dash of the '80s, with the four big instrument pods, was a nice piece of work.

    I think the current Mustang interior is really overrated. I've read a fair amount of praise for it, but it didn't seem like anything special to me when I test drove one. I think it's pretty much equal to the Camaro.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

    In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

    Dheart (09-20-2019)

  10. #5
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    8,591
    Thanks
    957
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 830 Posts

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    They forgot this Mustang dash, the very earlier ones came right from the Falcon, since the Mustang was derived from the Falcon.


    And the Shelby versions.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

    Dheart (09-20-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (09-27-2019)

  12. #6
    ksr
    ksr is offline
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head Island, SC
    Posts
    6,483
    Thanks
    884
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,261 Posts

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    I'm sure there were exceptions, but very few car interiors from the 1970s or earlier impressed me, not even in luxury cars. I suppose some have a certain quaintness as museum pieces, but interiors are an area where more recent cars are so much nicer. I'm not even considering technology and electronics as part of that. Just in terms of style, interiors to my eyes just look so much better now.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

    In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

  13. #7
    6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,482
    Thanks
    2,106
    Thanked 2,359 Times in 1,097 Posts
    This is a useless comparison as it leaves about plenty of intergenerational changes. There were four different 1G interiors and two 2G interiors.

  14. #8
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Watchdevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    1,064
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 346 Times in 181 Posts

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Neat to see them all back-to-back this way.

    I'm a GM fan, but I'm also a GM critic. In that vein, in my humble opinion and with very few exceptions, the Mustang's interior seems to have always been "better" than a corresponding Camaro or Firebird interior. No pony car's interior was "great", but it always seems like the Mustang got it "right" compared to Chevy/Pontiac over the years.

    The current Camaro interior is a better place to spend time than the previous generation. And though design and material use can often wade into subjective territory, I think most car reviewers and auto journalists would agree that the Mustang's design, ergonomics, material use, and fit n' finish are a run or two above the Camaro.

    Unfortunately, from an interior perspective, this seems to a common refrain among many GM products. It's not that their interiors are 'bad' or 'poor', but just seem to be a cut or two below some competitors for the money.

    Side Note: This interior they posted from 1979-1993 is pretty awful. But the 3rd Gen/Fox-body interior did get better toward the end of this lifespan.

    The use of the Fairmont dashboard was always a sore spot for me. The 1987 update was better and inspired by the work done on the Probe interior (which was originally scheduled to be a FWD Mustang).
    ---

    1998 Bwurick Regallbladder Ellis Thurddy-ate Hunnit Vee Six.

    Featuring the same quality interior as a Chevy Cavalier... But with leather...

  15. #9
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Watchdevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    1,064
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 346 Times in 181 Posts

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    It may have been true some years, but the Fox body Mustangs had total crap interiors. To me, the GM interiors, while still having too much cheap material, were far better, The '80s Fox body interiors was absolute garbage, particularly before about 1987 after which the improved slightly. And I'm biased for Firebirds, but the Firebird dash of the '80s, with the four big instrument pods, was a nice piece of work.

    I think the current Mustang interior is really overrated. I've read a fair amount of praise for it, but it didn't seem like anything special to me when I test drove one. I think it's pretty much equal to the Camaro.
    For modern interiors, I have a fondness for the 2010–2014 instrument panel and console design. The newer ones are overrated.

    For the classic design 1967–1968 is my default favorite along with any 1958–1966 Thunderbird.
    ---

    1998 Bwurick Regallbladder Ellis Thurddy-ate Hunnit Vee Six.

    Featuring the same quality interior as a Chevy Cavalier... But with leather...

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Watchdevil For This Useful Post:

    rockyspaw (09-20-2019)

  17. #10
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Watchdevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    1,064
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 346 Times in 181 Posts

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    It may have been true some years, but the Fox body Mustangs had total crap interiors. To me, the GM interiors, while still having too much cheap material, were far better, The '80s Fox body interiors was absolute garbage, particularly before about 1987 after which the improved slightly. And I'm biased for Firebirds, but the Firebird dash of the '80s, with the four big instrument pods, was a nice piece of work.

    I think the current Mustang interior is really overrated. I've read a fair amount of praise for it, but it didn't seem like anything special to me when I test drove one. I think it's pretty much equal to the Camaro.
    I absolutely fell in love with the 1982 Camaro and Firebird interiors with the deep hooded dash top and aircraft style. It was so far ahead of the box and bin Fairmont dash in the Mustang. However the plastics were prone to breakage. I had an entire dash panel replaced twice where the hooded top vibrated so much it would crack the plastic dash.
    ---

    1998 Bwurick Regallbladder Ellis Thurddy-ate Hunnit Vee Six.

    Featuring the same quality interior as a Chevy Cavalier... But with leather...

  18. #11
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC redriderjf87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 63 Times in 39 Posts
    My Ride
    1981 Camaro Z-28

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    I know the materials and fit were crap, but I always did like the overall design and look of my '02's interior. And the fact that it was black and not the ugly tan.
    1981 Camaro Z-28 - 383 SBC, FiTech EFI, TKO600, 4.11's

    2015 Colorado WT - 2.5L, 6-spd

    2018 Yamaha TW200 - bone stock

  19. #12
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Newark DE
    Posts
    1,063
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 115 Times in 80 Posts

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    69/70 and 71/73 were different than the 64/68 and 74 dashes as well.

  20. #13
    ksr
    ksr is offline
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head Island, SC
    Posts
    6,483
    Thanks
    884
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,261 Posts

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    Quote Originally Posted by Watchdevil View Post
    I absolutely fell in love with the 1982 Camaro and Firebird interiors with the deep hooded dash top and aircraft style. It was so far ahead of the box and bin Fairmont dash in the Mustang. However the plastics were prone to breakage. I had an entire dash panel replaced twice where the hooded top vibrated so much it would crack the plastic dash.
    Never had a 3rd gen Camaro, which IMO had a much inferior interior to the Firebird. I've had 3rd gen Firebirds, one bought new, one bought in 2003, and one 19 months ago. The plastics don't appear to be of the highest quality, but for me, they held together really well. I put 167K on my first Firebird, and in those days I mostly parked outside. The next two were/are garage kept, but the dashes in both looked as good as new. My current one has only 35K miles and was well cared for before I got it (one prior owner).

    Materials could have been better, but I've always like that design with that hooded dash that sweeps across the width of the car, and four big gauge pods with orange backlighting. My current one has the digital dash, which was a premium option. It's kind of cool museum piece, but really the standard dash was the better setup.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

    In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

  21. #14
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Newark DE
    Posts
    1,063
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 115 Times in 80 Posts

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    To me,as far as American cars go, the mid 70's Grand Prix and the 71-74 Javelin had, by far the best layouts. Driver centric, everything in easy reach

  22. #15
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Watchdevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    1,064
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 346 Times in 181 Posts

    Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

    Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Never had a 3rd gen Camaro, which IMO had a much inferior interior to the Firebird. I've had 3rd gen Firebirds, one bought new, one bought in 2003, and one 19 months ago. The plastics don't appear to be of the highest quality, but for me, they held together really well. I put 167K on my first Firebird, and in those days I mostly parked outside. The next two were/are garage kept, but the dashes in both looked as good as new. My current one has only 35K miles and was well cared for before I got it (one prior owner).

    Materials could have been better, but I've always like that design with that hooded dash that sweeps across the width of the car, and four big gauge pods with orange backlighting. My current one has the digital dash, which was a premium option. It's kind of cool museum piece, but really the standard dash was the better setup.
    I had 3 third gen Camaros and one Firebird. The Firebird had nicer seat and door fabrics but the interior quality was the same, just a different instrument layout spread wider accross the dash. In some of the later years the Firebird console went to a nicer soft touch padding on the sides while the Camaro remained the same hard plastic. Dash construction was identical except for gauge layouts. They even shared the same top dash pad.
    ---

    1998 Bwurick Regallbladder Ellis Thurddy-ate Hunnit Vee Six.

    Featuring the same quality interior as a Chevy Cavalier... But with leather...

  23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2