Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 905 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

Check Out The Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations
    The double-brow design dominates.
    SEP 04, 2019
    Anthony Alaniz
    motor1.com

The Ford Mustang debuted on April 17, 1964, and quickly became one of the company’s most successful model launches in over 30 years. It’s a generational icon of Americana, and its story is still going strong today. But much like the Mustang’s exterior, which has changed a lot over its 54-year run, the interior has seen its fair share of changes, as well. Our friends at Budget Direct came up with a series of sketches that show how the Mustang’s interior has evolved since its introduction for the 1965 model year.

Today’s Mustang interior may feel modern with its soft-touch materials, high-quality brightwork, a plethora of digital screens, and endless technologies, but the look is unmistakably Mustang. Ford has used the double brow design, first introduced with on the original Mustang, since it began its retro revival with the fifth-generation offering for the 2005 model year. But the design hasn’t been around forever.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Image courtesy of, and credited to, motor1.com
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (09-21-2019),The Handler (09-19-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 905 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: Mustang Interior's Evolution Across All 6 Generations

Neat to see them all back-to-back this way.

I'm a GM fan, but I'm also a GM critic. In that vein, in my humble opinion and with very few exceptions, the Mustang's interior seems to have always been "better" than a corresponding Camaro or Firebird interior. No pony car's interior was "great", but it always seems like the Mustang got it "right" compared to Chevy/Pontiac over the years.

The current Camaro interior is a better place to spend time than the previous generation. And though design and material use can often wade into subjective territory, I think most car reviewers and auto journalists would agree that the Mustang's design, ergonomics, material use, and fit n' finish are a run or two above the Camaro.

Unfortunately, from an interior perspective, this seems to a common refrain among many GM products. It's not that their interiors are 'bad' or 'poor', but just seem to be a cut or two below some competitors for the money.

Side Note: This interior they posted from 1979-1993 is pretty awful. But the 3rd Gen/Fox-body interior did get better toward the end of this lifespan.

Last edited by nadepalma; 09-19-2019 at 05:10 PM.
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (09-22-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC The Handler's Avatar
    Thanks

Out of the modern era interiors, the fourth generation is the cleanest.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post

I'm a GM fan, but I'm also a GM critic. In that vein, in my humble opinion and with very few exceptions, the Mustang's interior seems to have always been "better" than a corresponding Camaro or Firebird interior. No pony car's interior was "great", but it always seems like the Mustang got it "right" compared to Chevy/Pontiac over the years.

The current Camaro interior is a better place to spend time than the previous generation. And though design and material use can often wade into subjective territory, I think most car reviewers and auto journalists would agree that the Mustang's design, ergonomics, material use, and fit n' finish are a run or two above the Camaro.

Unfortunately, from an interior perspective, this seems to a common refrain among many GM products. It's not that their interiors are 'bad' or 'poor', but just seem to be a cut or two below some competitors for the money.

Side Note: This interior they posted from 1979-1993 is pretty awful. But the 3rd Gen/Fox-body interior did get better toward the end of this lifespan.

It may have been true some years, but the Fox body Mustangs had total crap interiors. To me, the GM interiors, while still having too much cheap material, were far better, The '80s Fox body interiors was absolute garbage, particularly before about 1987 after which the improved slightly. And I'm biased for Firebirds, but the Firebird dash of the '80s, with the four big instrument pods, was a nice piece of work.

I think the current Mustang interior is really overrated. I've read a fair amount of praise for it, but it didn't seem like anything special to me when I test drove one. I think it's pretty much equal to the Camaro.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

Dheart (09-20-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 830 Posts

They forgot this Mustang dash, the very earlier ones came right from the Falcon, since the Mustang was derived from the Falcon.

And the Shelby versions.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

Dheart (09-20-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (09-27-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

I'm sure there were exceptions, but very few car interiors from the 1970s or earlier impressed me, not even in luxury cars. I suppose some have a certain quaintness as museum pieces, but interiors are an area where more recent cars are so much nicer. I'm not even considering technology and electronics as part of that. Just in terms of style, interiors to my eyes just look so much better now.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,359 Times in 1,097 Posts
    This is a useless comparison as it leaves about plenty of intergenerational changes. There were four different 1G interiors and two 2G interiors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post

The use of the Fairmont dashboard was always a sore spot for me. The 1987 update was better and inspired by the work done on the Probe interior (which was originally scheduled to be a FWD Mustang).
    ---

1998 Bwurick Regallbladder Ellis Thurddy-ate Hunnit Vee Six.

Featuring the same quality interior as a Chevy Cavalier... But with leather...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    It may have been true some years, but the Fox body Mustangs had total crap interiors. To me, the GM interiors, while still having too much cheap material, were far better, The '80s Fox body interiors was absolute garbage, particularly before about 1987 after which the improved slightly. And I'm biased for Firebirds, but the Firebird dash of the '80s, with the four big instrument pods, was a nice piece of work.

I think the current Mustang interior is really overrated. I've read a fair amount of praise for it, but it didn't seem like anything special to me when I test drove one. I think it's pretty much equal to the Camaro.
    For modern interiors, I have a fondness for the 2010–2014 instrument panel and console design. The newer ones are overrated.

For the classic design 1967–1968 is my default favorite along with any 1958–1966 Thunderbird.
    ---

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Watchdevil For This Useful Post:

rockyspaw (09-20-2019)

Thanks

I absolutely fell in love with the 1982 Camaro and Firebird interiors with the deep hooded dash top and aircraft style. It was so far ahead of the box and bin Fairmont dash in the Mustang. However the plastics were prone to breakage. I had an entire dash panel replaced twice where the hooded top vibrated so much it would crack the plastic dash.
    ---

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC redriderjf87's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1981 Camaro Z-28

I know the materials and fit were crap, but I always did like the overall design and look of my '02's interior. And the fact that it was black and not the ugly tan.
    1981 Camaro Z-28 - 383 SBC, FiTech EFI, TKO600, 4.11's

2015 Colorado WT - 2.5L, 6-spd

2018 Yamaha TW200 - bone stock

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

69/70 and 71/73 were different than the 64/68 and 74 dashes as well.

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdevil View Post
    I absolutely fell in love with the 1982 Camaro and Firebird interiors with the deep hooded dash top and aircraft style. It was so far ahead of the box and bin Fairmont dash in the Mustang. However the plastics were prone to breakage. I had an entire dash panel replaced twice where the hooded top vibrated so much it would crack the plastic dash.
    Never had a 3rd gen Camaro, which IMO had a much inferior interior to the Firebird. I've had 3rd gen Firebirds, one bought new, one bought in 2003, and one 19 months ago. The plastics don't appear to be of the highest quality, but for me, they held together really well. I put 167K on my first Firebird, and in those days I mostly parked outside. The next two were/are garage kept, but the dashes in both looked as good as new. My current one has only 35K miles and was well cared for before I got it (one prior owner).

Materials could have been better, but I've always like that design with that hooded dash that sweeps across the width of the car, and four big gauge pods with orange backlighting. My current one has the digital dash, which was a premium option. It's kind of cool museum piece, but really the standard dash was the better setup.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

To me,as far as American cars go, the mid 70's Grand Prix and the 71-74 Javelin had, by far the best layouts. Driver centric, everything in easy reach

Thanks

Never had a 3rd gen Camaro, which IMO had a much inferior interior to the Firebird. I've had 3rd gen Firebirds, one bought new, one bought in 2003, and one 19 months ago. The plastics don't appear to be of the highest quality, but for me, they held together really well. I put 167K on my first Firebird, and in those days I mostly parked outside. The next two were/are garage kept, but the dashes in both looked as good as new. My current one has only 35K miles and was well cared for before I got it (one prior owner).

Materials could have been better, but I've always like that design with that hooded dash that sweeps across the width of the car, and four big gauge pods with orange backlighting. My current one has the digital dash, which was a premium option. It's kind of cool museum piece, but really the standard dash was the better setup.
    I had 3 third gen Camaros and one Firebird. The Firebird had nicer seat and door fabrics but the interior quality was the same, just a different instrument layout spread wider accross the dash. In some of the later years the Firebird console went to a nicer soft touch padding on the sides while the Camaro remained the same hard plastic. Dash construction was identical except for gauge layouts. They even shared the same top dash pad.
    ---

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information