Most Luxury Cars are Leased: BMW, Mercedes and Infiniti Lead the Pack - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most Luxury Cars are Leased: BMW, Mercedes and Infiniti Lead the Pack

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 885 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Re: Most Luxury Cars are Leased: BMW, Mercedes and Infiniti Lead the Pack

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    To lay this kind of cash out for a depreciating asset is lunacy, and people that do such things are either careless or nouveau riche showoffs.
    Doochey much?

If you can't afford the car and maintenance, don't buy the car.

Not surprised the highest lease rates are LA & NY.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    Doochey much?

If you can't afford the car and maintenance, don't buy the car.

Not surprised the highest lease rates are LA & NY.
    I believe in leasing but its not for everyone, its not for a car that will be modified....for people that drive a lot of miles...or for people that plan on keeping the car.

CJH
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    I believe in leasing but its not for everyone, its not for a car that will be modified....for people that drive a lot of miles...or for people that plan on keeping the car.
    Agree with that. Leasing is a good choice in all of those situations.

However if you have a bunch of money in your pocket, the costs aren't as overwhelming for purchase/maintenance as it is for the average joe. And we shouldn't judge the people that can afford to do it.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

leased corvettes killed the market for used corvettes. when GM quit leasing corvettes people with leases that were up dumped the corvettes on the market to get out from under because they could not walk into a dealer and walk out with a new corvette. my dealer told me that between 30%-40% corvette sale were leases
    chevy owner since 1953,30 new chevys and 11 new corvettes since 1959 ,# 11 2008 corvette in the garage ,2004 impala,1988 2500 silverado,former NASCAR tech inspector,retired race engine builder. 2008 corvette sold waiting for the C-7. old 88 silverado gone and replaced with a new 2013 ext cab silverado.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Agree with that. Leasing is a good choice in all of those situations.

However if you have a bunch of money in your pocket, the costs aren't as overwhelming for purchase/maintenance as it is for the average joe. And we shouldn't judge the people that can afford to do it.
    I usually lease all my luxury cars, I bought my last one simply because I thought I would keep it awhile and not worry about miles. Most of the time I usually have 3-5 cars so miles is not an issue but this one I had big plans for, to modify it and keep it for a long time and to drive it a lot more than I typically drive...road trips...etc. There are many that lease that can afford the car, but why tie up all the funds into a depreciating asset if your other parameters allow you to lease?

Quote Originally Posted by motorman View Post
    leased corvettes killed the market for used corvettes. when GM quit leasing corvettes people with leases that were up dumped the corvettes on the market to get out from under because they could not walk into a dealer and walk out with a new corvette. my dealer told me that between 30%-40% corvette sale were leases

If done right leasing actually retains value, because its an incentives that does not require lowering the price to sell the car. I personally would not lease a new Corvette, because my next one I fully expect to be more than the 700 hp my last one was...not so good of an idea to lease a car to heavily modify it like that.

CJH
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

I usually lease all my luxury cars, I bought my last one simply because I thought I would keep it awhile and not worry about miles. Most of the time I usually have 3-5 cars so miles is not an issue but this one I had big plans for, to modify it and keep it for a long time and to drive it a lot more than I typically drive...road trips...etc. There are many that lease that can afford the car, but why tie up all the funds into a depreciating asset if your other parameters allow you to lease?
    Like you said, if you plan on keeping it a long time or put on a lot of miles, then buying make sense and the initial depreciation hit is evened out over time. I know Execs who buy their luxury cars because they just put too many miles on them to lease.

Leasing has its place, its just not for everyone. Whatever works best for you and your situation is what you should do.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 neshapop's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Honda Civic Touring

Will leasing option make the insurance cheaper or the same vs. owned/financed vehicle?

I used my Buick for business trips and got ~$2000/year as mileage expense for 3000 mi/5000 km per year, maybe leasing @0%/48 months with current GM Canada promotion for new Regal would be a good option?
    Last edited by neshapop; 08-02-2011 at 07:57 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 377Z View Post
    Heh, Indeed.
    German vehicles are not known for their quality, and quality surveys that don't take into account how people "feel" about their cars and basically measure short- and long-term quality prove that. German automakers may have had some acute successes (e.g., GLK in 2011 IQS), but overall, their vehicles aren't high quality.

I was invited to a BMW consumer clinic this past weekend, and even the sales representative to whom I was assigned proves that point. When I asked her to comment on BMW quality, I got a nebulous response that appeared to be rehearsed from BMW training. I give props to BMW for presumably preparing their sales personnel in this fashion, but I never got a clear "BMW builds quality product, and that is supported by these following facts..."

Contrast that to a Lexus sales representative, who when speaking to me about the quality of the LS, provided very concrete proof of that, including the fact that the LS for more years than not has been the highest quality vehicle of any vehicle sold in the US. That's impressive. Of course, he couldn't really tell me any reason beyond that why I should drive such a car.

The conclusion is very simple and clear: German vehicles are not high quality.

Like you said, if you plan on keeping it a long time or put on a lot of miles, then buying make sense and the initial depreciation hit is evened out over time. I know Execs who buy their luxury cars because they just put too many miles on them to lease.

Leasing has its place, its just not for everyone. Whatever works best for you and your situation is what you should do.
    Bingo. Many very wealthy people who manage their money well buy their vehicles, and many of the same people in the same demographic lease their vehicles. Of course, good money managers know when it's best to lease or to buy.
    Last edited by tgagneguam; 08-02-2011 at 08:19 PM.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgagneguam View Post
    German vehicles are not known for their quality, and quality surveys that don't take into account how people "feel" about their cars and basically measure short- and long-term quality prove that. German automakers may have had some acute successes (e.g., GLK in 2011 IQS), but overall, their vehicles aren't high quality.

I was invited to a BMW consumer clinic this past weekend, and even the sales representative to whom I was assigned proves that point. When I asked her to comment on BMW quality, I got a nebulous response that appeared to be rehearsed from BMW training. I give props to BMW for presumably preparing their sales personnel in this fashion, but I never got a clear "BMW builds quality product, and that is supported by these following facts..."

Contrast that to a Lexus sales representative, who when speaking to me about the quality of the LS, provided very concrete proof of that, including the fact that the LS for more years than not has been the highest quality vehicle of any vehicle sold in the US. That's impressive. Of course, he couldn't really tell me any reason beyond that why I should drive such a car.

Bingo. Many very wealthy people who manage their money well buy their vehicles, and many of the same people in the same demographic lease their vehicles. Of course, good money managers know when it's best to lease or to buy.
    Mercedes is probably the best out of the German trio in quality, but they still lag the top. German cars, particularly BMWs, remind me a lot of Apple products. They are designed not to just serve a function (even if that function is driving pleasure), but to be fashion accessories as well. This is why cars like the X6 and 5er GT exist.

When you buy an iPod you are not buying just a device that plays music etc... in a neat way, but you are also buying a fashion accessory to show off and be seen with. I like Apple products, but from my experience they're not the highest quality in the world as far as longevity is concerned, at least not the newer ones. They are also seen as disposable. A new iPod/iPhone comes out every year to much fanfare even among existing owners.

I remember reading that German cars take a big hit in depreciation as soon as a new model comes out (more so than average), because most people who can afford to own a used 5er or 7er would not want to be seen in "last year's body style" and prefer to lease a new one instead.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Wow, a thread thats make sense. I've told pretty much all of my middle class friends that leases was better than buying in this group. I see others agree. Its also only way I would ever consider a 2012 Cadillac SRX.

Thanks

i lease because i work in manhattan and live in queens. the miliage i put on the bmw is minimal as i only use it to go to meetings and for trips with the family. i use my daily driver to and from work. the bimmer would fall apart in the pot holes of manhattan. also when i got the bmw the salesman told me they make their money on parts.............not on the sales.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgagneguam View Post

Wow, a second coat of broad strokes.
    Last edited by 377Z; 08-03-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    2019 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 3.3L 4WD
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Wow, a second coat of broad strokes.
    He is right, what isn't being mentioned however is that reliability isn't as big of a concern when buying a luxury car as it is when buying a family sedan. Truthfully, the best way to buy any German make is to lease it. I made the mistake of owning a Range Rover out of warranty, and it was very painful in many ways. In fact there are a lot of german makes you can't even get a warranty on if they are out of warranty due to the high possibility of mechanical failure.

Thanks

He is right, what isn't being mentioned however is that reliability isn't as big of a concern when buying a luxury car as it is when buying a family sedan. Truthfully, the best way to buy any German make is to lease it. I made the mistake of owning a Range Rover out of warranty, and it was very painful in many ways. In fact there are a lot of german makes you can't even get a warranty on if they are out of warranty due to the high possibility of mechanical failure.
    There's good and bad everything, and implying that all out of warranty German cars are undesireable is the definition of painting with a broad stroke, that's all. No argument that statistically relative to the industry averages that German cars are below average durability, and that it would be better for them if they weren't below average. But it doesn't automatically mean they are all undesireable heaps or that they will have lots of problems.
    2019 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 3.3L 4WD
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

There's good and bad everything, and implying that all out of warranty German cars are undesireable is the definition of painting with a broad stroke, that's all. No argument that statistically relative to the industry averages that German cars are below average durability, and that it would be better for them if they weren't below average. But it doesn't automatically mean they are all undesireable heaps or that they will have lots of problems.
    They are very desirable, and desirability is a big factor in why they sell well despite reliability problems.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information